Paying for 25 year old child

Options

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    One reason for poor results could of course be ill health ...

It could - but it wouldn't really account for still being at university at 25.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could be claiming benefits in your own right from when you finish school to starting a job. If you spend those months being subbed by your parents then obviously you can't claim that they count towards a period of being independent.
    No, you can't, if the parent is still claiming child benefit for you. (same might apply to tax credits though I'm unsure) I discovered this earlier this year. You're still paid CB until Aug 31st.

If the parent isn't claiming child related benefits, then 18yo can indeed claim benefits in their own right once their course has finished.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    There have been plenty of rude comments all the way through this thread. Mostly directed at poor people but you seem to have no issue with that do you.

I love someone rudely telling me that I’m rude and pompous.

It’s obvious that if a loan is reduced that the govt expects the parents to make up the difference. Who else did you think was to support the student?

Seriously. Have a word with yourself before you have a go at me. You’re the person who was contemplating not giving your child the money knowing that it would probably cause them hardship.

And then you bow out because people haven’t told you what you want to hear.

Sorry about that.

You don’t like the fact that people are suggesting you did your homework before the child went to uni?
  • phryne
    phryne Posts: 471 Forumite
    Options
    annandale wrote: »

It’s obvious that if a loan is reduced that the govt expects the parents to make up the difference. Who else did you think was to support the student?

Seriously. Have a word with yourself before you have a go at me. You’re the person who was contemplating not giving your child the money knowing that it would probably cause them hardship.

And then you bow out because people haven’t told you what you want to hear.

Sorry about that.

Your posting style does seem to suggest you're out looking for arguments. I've noticed this on other threads.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2018 at 4:43PM
    Options
    I assume you top up their amount to what it would have been if they had got the full amount. So if they are able to buy things and holiday and go to festivals aswell, they are probably budgeting quite well.
    As others have said, it would be very unfair to suddenly remove your support after saying you would give it.
    If you think they will be there next year though, now would be the time to point out the age change and how it would affect their university finances from that point on.
    When my daughter decided to do some further study after her initial degree she studied part time and worked part time because it was really the only way she could afford to live there and study and we still paid for her actual uni course (gifted for xmas and birthday 2 years in a row) because the part time income just about covered her food and rent.

Anyone not liking the posts of another user may choose to ignore posts by that person in their user settings.
  • foolofbeans
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    There have been plenty of rude comments all the way through this thread. Mostly directed at poor people but you seem to have no issue with that do you.
    And then you bow out because people haven’t told you what you want to hear. Sorry about that. Somehow I don't feel you are truly sorry :rotfl:
    You don’t like the fact that people are suggesting you did your homework before the child went to uni?
    I'm not really sure what you mean about my lack of an issue about poor people.
    I apologise for being so rude to you but your constant ranting was just getting a bit weary. I'm happy to take heed of comments and have taken on board some suggestions and views that were given.

I'm somewhat relived to see that a constant vitriol seems to be your posting style and not necessarily nastiness directed at me alone. However, it is neither helpful or necessary and perhaps in future you should think about how your posts come across.

I bowed out of the thread as I had got a general consensus and had already stated that I would support my child in their final year as it was too late to do anything else in a fair manner.

I'm still waiting for you to show me the government's statement that student loans may be reduced due to parental income AND the loan is inadequate to live on and therefore parents have to pay the differential even though there offspring are adults and could be as old as 25.
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't actually say at any point that you earned 100k a year. I made the point that a family who were on 100k would still qualify for a student loan.

You were the person who referred to yourself as a high earning family.

I could not care less if you choose to pick out my posts over everyone else's on here.

There have been plenty of posts on here that I'd call rude verging on the objectionable

You drop fed information. Making sure that people knew that your child had gone on holiday and that you had given them money they hadn't repaid.

If you've made a rod for your own back fine.

Carry on digging me out if it makes you feel better.

I hope it does.
  • annadale - Maybe your posts get picked out because you come across as aggressive and whatever anyone says to you, somehow you always end up the victim

You do not speak for all poor people. Many poor people manage to retain their dignity.

There are many folk worse off than you. I do not know your circumstances but whilst you have a breath in you, you are doing better than some

Stop the victim 'woe is me' act. It is all you do on every tread and it is tired.

You aren't the only person who is poor, or in seriously ill heath, struggling with benefits etc etc. Woe is me will only get you so far in life
    With love, POSR <3
  • Sibz
    Sibz Posts: 389 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You agreed to support your child... fair enough - support for what? Uni, holidays etc or just Uni.

I paid digs from 16, If I went on holiday I done it with my money I earned.
    Teaching kids about financial reliability isn't a bad thing, you won't be around forever.

I suppose you just have to ask yourself - do you just not want to provide the current level of support any more, or are you currently not as able to do so?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm still waiting for you to show me the government's statement that student loans may be reduced due to parental income AND the loan is inadequate to live on and therefore parents have to pay the differential even though there offspring are adults and could be as old as 25.

Is this what you want to see?

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

I think you've just been caught out by the generic start of term being September 1st. Personally it doesn't surprise me because it applies to all academic years from 5 years of age upwards but I can understand you didn't know.

As for the loan being inadequate to live on, I suppose that will depend on the level of accommodation and the location. So I may not know the cost of hotels across the country but I would know that a Travelodge on a ring road somewhere out in the sticks is likely to cost more than one in central London. Similarly I can guess that a luxury hotel out in the countryside might cost more than a scruffy B&B in London. So I don't need to be told that until I actually need to stay somewhere.

annandale has made some valid and interesting points in the discussion but I have to agree it's a very prickly posting style full of bitterness and resentment. That's sad but I suppose we're all products of our backgrounds to some extent.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure