BA changed name on booking!

Options
I’m taking my son and his girlfriend to California in May. Long story short - girlfriend got a new job and couldn’t get the two weeks off so son emails BA to enquire whether they would allow him to take a friend instead of his girlfriend and if so, how much would it cost and how much notice would we have to give, just in case his girlfriend could wangle the time off.

Got an email today from BA confirming the change of name on the booking - just as the girlfriend phoned to say her new boss is allowing her the time off! We only wanted to know if it was a possibility in case the girlfriend couldn’t make it but they’ve changed it. I’ve emailed them back and said we were making enquiries just in case and the girlfriend can now actually come so don’t want to make any changes. They’ve come back that we will have to pay the cost of the ticket to change it back.

Any advice?

Comments

• pennylane99
    pennylane99 Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If it was just an enquiry, why would you give BA the friends name?
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ask for the recording of the call. But as per above, why even give the name if it was an initial enquiry?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    It's simple.
    As your son emailed BA and was very clear that it was just an enquiry and not a request, you can prove that BA are in the wrong by changing the passenger's name and they should therefore reinstate the original booking free of charge.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I misread that bit, thought it was a phone call. I still question why the name was included in the email though.

Or perhaps your son has ballsed up here and hasnt told you the full story. Ask for the initial email off him.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 27 January 2020 at 6:59PM
    Options
    Oh I misread that bit, thought it was a phone call. I still question why the name was included in the email though.

Or perhaps your son has ballsed up here and hasnt told you the full story. Ask for the initial email off him.
    Yes indeed.
    Rather odd.
    One would hope that the OP's son's email was very clear in its content to facilitate a fee-free and satisfactory result to put the booking back to how it was.

I'm actually quite surprised by BA's response given the enquiry was made by email and can easily be referred back to by BA. And produced by the OPs son as proof.

Pretty clear cut to me that BA have acted incorrectly by making a change to a booking when a customer was only making an enquiry.
    If what the OP says is accurate.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    was this booked as a BA Holiday?
    - BA do not allow name changes on flight-only bookings
    agree with others, assuming the email is very clear that is was not a request but an enquiry, they should be able to sort this out
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Yes indeed.
    Rather odd.
    One would hope that the OP's son's email was very clear in its content to facilitate a fee-free and satisfactory result to put the booking back to how it was.

I'm actually quite surprised by BA's response given the enquiry was made by email and can easily be referred back to by BA. And produced by the OPs son as proof.

Pretty clear cut to me that BA have acted incorrectly by making a change to a booking when a customer was only making an enquiry.
    If what the OP says is accurate.

"If what the OP says is accurate" is the critical question here. The OP didn't send the e-mail, the son did, and presumably the OP only has the son's word for the content of the e-mail.

If it was worded "Is it possible to change on of the names on booking ref xxx, and if so what would the cost be" then it is clearly a request for information only, plus there is nothing in the e-mail to enable a change to be made.

If however the wording was more of "Can I change the name from Jill Jones to Fred Smith" then it would not unreasonable for that action to be taken.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 January 2020 at 7:49PM
    Options
    I'm surprised they'd allow a name change anyway, even more so just off the back of one email. I'm further surprised they'd action this from one email without confirming they are dealing with the Lead Passenger, or someone who has the authority to make changes to the booking.

Luckily you say it was by email, so you will have proof your son was only making an enquiry and be able to get this sorted with BA.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    Options
    Well they must have given the other name for BA to have changed it,they are not mind readers are they?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • malkie76
    malkie76 Posts: 6,170 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I’m reasonably sure BA won’t make any changes to a booking via email. Something not right here.
    Legal team on standby
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport