My landlord wants £2300 to replace a fire door.

Options

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not suggesting for one minute its a good price, but there are seals, closer etc to add to the cost too.

As it's the landlord's policy to retro-fit then they maybe can't enforce it - but as the leaseholder or tenant you might want to consider the safety of the occupants in a fire.

I'd want to be at least negotiating it down and not paying their "profit" element!
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Id get the local building control officer to pay you a vist and see if you really need a replacement
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 17 September 2019 at 9:06AM
    Options
    https://www.safelincs.co.uk/fd30-single-fire-door-sets/
    They start from £115 and can be changed in a day by one person. They will be extra costs such as plaster repairs and painting but it does seem like someone is making a large profit. Ask for a breakdown of costs.

So the landlord has a new policy to renew all flat entrance doors.
    Unlikely they have a choice, the regulations changed a few years ago. Its unlikely a 30 year old door is compliant.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's outrageous.

That would buy you the most beautiful bespoke entrance door.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    If the HA have a policy to replace the doors then they should be paying for it out of the maintenance charge not a !!!!!!!g chance I'd be paying £2.3k just because they want me to
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Unlikely they have a choice, the regulations changed a few years ago. Its unlikely a 30 year old door is compliant.

This not true. Building regs are not retrospective. If it was installed 30 years ago and was compliant at the time, then there is no onus on owners or occupiers to upgrade to current regs.

However, many social landlords are upgrading their fire doors etc as a result of Grenfell Tower.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Go back to the LL and ask for a break down of costs.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • abz88
    abz88 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The fact they have hundreds of doors to replace makes this quote sound even worse. You would expect them to have competitively tendered to various tradesmen for this amount of work and would have secured a volume discount.
    I would ask to see a comparison of the quotes they received. It could be that they always use the same company for works on their properties and they are overcharging as they know they will get the work. If that's the case, tell the landlord you think its expensive and ask them to get more quotes to compare it to, or get a quote yourself and ask why theirs is so much higher.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2019 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Jeremy_P wrote: »
    Thanks pramsay13. My landlord wouldn't agree to that as they have hundreds of doors to replace for all their flats. It's a housing association who is the landlord.
    Thanks prosaver. There is nothing wrong with the old door, except it is over 30 years old and not certified. So the landlord has a new policy to renew all flat entrance doors.

With respect how do you know there is nothing wrong with the old door and frame? Thirty years is some wear and tear.

To be fair to the Housing Association, I read recently that it is recommended freeholders - esp. of high-rise blocks** or those with vulnerable residents - inspect all fire-resistant doors regularly (communal AND flats if permitted by the long lease).

My apartment fire-resistant doors/ frames are fifteen years old and at least two are not okay. One obviously damaged :o the other subtly (to my untutored eye) warped at the bottom.

Having said all that £2300 is eyewatering. Consider getting your own quote from an 'approved contractor' possibly even getting your own fire-resistant entrance door fitted sharpish.

If you have met ALL of their stipulations/ current Building Regs and have the documents to prove it, I cannot see how the Housing Association would have a leg to stand on trying to charge you again.

ETA High-rise is defined as five stories or 18 metres tall IIRC.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    Would you not be subject to a section 20 and the associated consultation?

My understanding is that if replacement works are required above £250 per property a section 20 should be used.

That should stipulate a number of quotes for the work from various contractors with a consultation process to decide the outcome.

or have I got the wrong end of the stick here?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills