Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh dear, I vanish for a while and when I come to catch up you've done yourself an injury!

I hope you're okay

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I am, thanks W. On the mend, anyway. :)

List updated:
    trim hedge - this is a secateurs job and takes ages but lasts ages too. Done
    shops Done
    pay insurance - first get details off DH
    try to work out how to switch accounts
    look into using loyalty points - want to get the most from them
    apply ice pack Done
    sort/clear a kitchen shelf
    sort another freezer drawer
    declutter some papers
    post another item for sale
    start a bag to take to charity
    make marmaladeDone

I know half of it's still there but I'm pleased with what 've done so far. I walked further too - over the 10,000 steps for the first time in a while. It was nice and sunny in town and I met a former neighbour who stopped to chat.

7/6/18 Spends:
    Toiletries £3.20
    Garden £1.40
    Housekeeping £4.29
    MS stuff:
    Remembered to get a free replacement bag
    Yesterday's leftovers for tea
    £ shop was selling off packets of bulbs for 20p so I got 7!
    Batch of marmalade ready for DH.
    Confession time
    See above... I hadn't planned to get any of those plants!

I had a spare wall basket which I've planted up with some begonias from the £ shop, then I found remnants of packets of seeds which I'd used to plant up hanging baskets at Mum's old house, so I chucked those in too. I know it's late in the season but it's worth a try.

Off to bed now - where did the evening go?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 8 June 2018 at 11:56PM
    Options
    I have been reading up on Premium Bonds and wondering whether to get any... I have a few my maiden name but typically, having done the legwork to find out how to get them updated, I've done nothing about it.

I'm a bit short of sleep as the arm and foot decided to pay me back for making them work yesterday, so I commandeered the sofa and sat with my arm elevated this morning and the swelling reduced so it feels a lot better now. Here's today's list, parts of which are carried forward from yesterday:
    put laundry on the line Done
    trim hedge a bit more! Done
    plan dinner from freezer Done
    pay insurance - first get details off DH
    declutter some papers
    Just-before-midnight edit:
    Nothing spent today: spent some of it asleep but I'm justifying that because I had to have my arm raised for quite a long time to get the swelling down. I managed a bit of general garden tidying and made more space in the freezer, though not yet a whole drawerful. Nothing else to report really. Have a good weekend, all!

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Not much actively spent today:: a big kilner jar and a lamp timer at the car boot sale then my bag accidentally broke a cup on someone's stall so that was another 50p!

We were frugal and had soup instead of the usual Saturday takeaway: there really is more room in the freezer now and I'm still filling any space I achieve with plastic cartons so no one knows it's there!

This afternoon I helped DS2 proofread an essay and DH cut back the top of the hedge and took the twiggy garden rubbish to the tip as well as doing a load of chores that I can't yet manage. My achievement of the day has been putting up and taking down the ironing board. :D I couldn't do that last week.

I've had a look at the insurance document but I'm sleep-deprived so it's going to have to wait. Don't want to transfer several hundred pounds to the wrong account!

Spends:
    Household £1.80
    MS stuff:
    Soup not takeaway

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,290 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Boo to the vandal handbag :( Sounds like you're doing brilliantly with your arm. My ankle is still swollen 18 months after the event.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    My ankle is still swollen 18 months after the event.
    :eek: Sounds alarming. I hope it eventually gets back to shape.

Beautiful day today: instead of Sunday lunch we took a picnic to a local beauty spot. Nothing spent.

• charlies_tribe
    charlies_tribe Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just catching up. Sorry to hear about the arm but glad you are now on the road to recovery. Hope it heals quickly x
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 11 June 2018 at 11:24PM
    Options
    Absolutely shattered tonight. I've taken to waking up/getting up at about 6, a good two hours earlier than when at work. This is partly because my arm gets stiff when kept in one position, but I'm hoping I can keep the habit up.

Achievement of the day: every time I try to reach my face with my hand I've succeeded!

I spent some time on paperwork and found some errors on the insurance document so they are resending them. I went to set up my login for the prescription renewal website and found the details had expired, so there's an admin job for tomorrow. I also paid the milk bill and discovered the bank has charged me 2p for closing that subsection of the mortgage. :D

The weather was again gorgeous and the guinea pig needed some company so I did some work in the garden: the flowering currant has had half its annual haircut, the compost has been topped up and watered and I rescued a battered terracotta bowl and planted it up with the sparaxis I rescued from the sales the other day. When I came back later a bird had dug through for worms! I've reinstated the sparaxis and put some mesh over.

Walking into town, I came across some people from work so we walked together and chatted: unfortunately I think walking their pace was a poor choice as the foot's been sensitive since. Nevertheless, 11,000 steps! I will be fit again, I will. :D

Part of my trip to town was to find wild bird food, which I did, and a new feeder reduced to £1. I've found some bird feeders that were Mum's and hung them up. There's a visitor centre fairly near here which has wonderful bird feeders outside the cafe window and it's inspired me to use what I've got as we have plenty of trees and wild birds.

Healthy and cheap liver and onions for tea tonight. DH had to do most of the actual cooking but he really enjoyed the results so perhaps that can be his new thing to cook. :)

Spends:
    Medical £0.80
    Pets (actually wild birds) £2.49
    Housekeeping £26.47
    Mortgage £0.02

MS stuff:
    Plums reduced to 21p :)
    Cheap bird feeder (quite a sturdy one too)
    onions instead of bacon with the liver.
    Confession time:
    Bought another tube of extortionately expensive iron cleaner - but it works.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Time to get back to the list. I see I forgot the '10th coin savings' pot yesterday so a quick cash up and £1 added to the pot, which now stands at £12.56.

This is supposed to go into that new account I haven't set up yet, or to mortgage payments... tbh I completely forgot about setting up the account over the past few days: I'm getting more knowledgeable little by little but haven't made any progress with these plans for being financially organised apart from mortgage OPs (which do make quite a difference) and getting that CC which should give me access to a higher interest savings account. Having read up and decided on the account, when I looked back later I found one of the options charges £10 a month, which would wipe out a lot of the gains. :eek: How I missed it before I don't know. Anyway that's not today's priority (which is having coffee with my friend :) ), but it needs to go back on the list.

coffee with my friend
    plan dinner from freezer
    pay insurance - first check the revised details they've sent through
    Do more maths on reducing work hours (started this yesterday)
    plant more bulbs from the sales treasures I got last week
    finish pruning the flowering current
    declutter some papers

• Cherryfudge
    edited 13 June 2018 at 12:32AM
    Options
    A definite 'getting better' day. Had a lovely coffee with my friend (and she insisted on paying) then came home and read all about AVCs. (I know how to have fun). The website cross-referenced to Additional Pensions Contributions and to the pensionwise website so now I need to read up on those. I then realised I was five minutes late to phone in for a repeat prescription so, being low on medication, I took the order form over to the surgery. Since then I've been on my a lot of the time and have clocked up 15,500 steps! What's more, the foot isn't protesting, which is brilliant.

I managed lots of bits of shopping so despite today's chicken and chorizo pasta being made from things I had in store, the food budget is looking depleted. I did get some frozen veg to make up for not being able to chop things, though, which I think is reasonable, but I seem to have a lot of cleaning expenses all of a sudden and I did buy some nice coffee because it was on offer and the other one will run out soon.

I've finished settling up bird feeders and the starlings have discovered one of them. I did indulge in a water feeder in the end, and more seed. I've also cleaned out warm-weather accommodation for the guinea pig. Poor DH came home from a full day at work to mow the lawns, take the bin out and tidy the shed enough to get things back in.

Admin-wise, I have paid that insurance, ordered medication and that's it. I ran out of time. Good to be able to be on my feet and out & about though. Much as I love my job, this is doing me good.

The mortgage company has sent me a letter to say I've paid off the sub-section and send new amounts payable to each remaining sub-section. As I've an agreement to overpay regularly, what this amounts to is a confirmation that I'm overpaying by £125.05 a month, which is nice. :)

Spends:
    Pets £4.74
    Housekeeping £18.09
    Gift £6.50
    Household £1.85
    Insurance (estate expenses) £431.60 - paid out of estate account not my account!
    MS stuff:
    £ shop for descalers
    Dinner from the freezer
    20th coin savings 30p
    Confession time:
    It feels a bit indulgent buying all the stuff to feed the wild birds and I know it will be an expense in the future as they will eat more and more once they know it's there, but I still enjoy doing it and it's hard wotk being a bird. :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport