PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    What would be really useful would be a list of things to have to hand for repairs of what you've already got.

puncture kit not just for bike tyres but for wheelbarrow tyres, leaky wellington boots, rubberised air beds, etc.

Can of WD40

Sewing kit Wilkinsons do a pack of assorted use needles for around a pound including a bodkin, a curved upholstery needle and different sized and different eyed all purpose needles, I think there's even a darning needle in it. AND a sewing and mending guide book so if you don't already have the technique you can learn it. Threads including some strong ones for repairing outdoor clothing. Beeswax block to coat them and make them stronger.

a gardening book for fruit and veg if you grow your own or intend to try.

That's a start we could add to.

Things like hot water bottles, bed socks, thermos flasks, tea cosies, warm throws on sofas etc. would also make life more comfortable in a cold house.
  • cuddlymarm
    cuddlymarm Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi C J
    I don!!!8217;t think that!!!8217;s daft at all. Foods that last well will save money as prices do tend to go up anyway.
    Perhaps we could make a list of things that could be affected by Brexit and are worth starting to collect?
    When I look on the MrT website you can check where things come so that may be a start.
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2018 at 3:24PM
    Options
    stoozie1 wrote: »
    MITSTM, after the Brexit referendum you posted that people needed to accept the majority decision of the referendum. Surely this should also be the case regarding referenda about Welsh devolution.

That's not how things went the first time round (ie first referendum about Welsh devolution). It only just went that way the second time round (repeat referendum) - much "pushing" later - and just who has a second referendum because they don't like the result of the first one??? !!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I hope it's not tea that's affected, I could cope with limited quantities of everything else but tea I need in buckets full and regularly.
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    I agree Mrs L
    I can live without a lot of things but a decent cup of tea is not one of them. I always have a decent stock of teabags.
    Also milk, no matter how expensive that went I would have to have some.

Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Same here re tea and milk!
    A hot water bottle is worth it's weight in gold when you're freezing or poorly.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Fuddle - I'm still learning. Think I'm going to look at seasonal growing and maybe get a calendar printed that will help me!

Going to plant some potatoes today - they are a bit late but I'm sure they will be fine xx
    Living the simple life
  • cuddlymarm
    Options
    Hi guys
    Not much achieved today. I!!!8217;ve started a list of things I want to stock up on on a separate page on my iPad but can only afford a couple of bits a week as well as my normal shop.
    On the up side I shouldn!!!8217;t need to shop at all until next week now. I!!!8217;m gradually adding (and removing ) bits from my online shop. We are eating a lot of cold meals and salad which saves electric and keeps the temperature down at the moment.
    Menu plans never seem to work for me so I tend to do a list of meals from what we have and work through that rather than fitting particular meals to particular days. This also works well so that I buy what we like that!!!8217;s on offer and feed us from that.
    Anyway better go now
    Cuddles
    🎄December 🎄 NSDs 11/15
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm meal planning and making a list too CM :)

I'm going to stock up on tins for food we eat regularly. Mostly for a price hike and to have enough is for a winter store cupboard too.

I do think the price of food will rise (as it has been) and I'm aware of the packaging getting smaller and less too.

I'm trying to grow a bit of my own but we will see how I get on. Hopefully going to get bit of a veg patch in the garden in a couple of months so I have a bit more space to grow more.

My list so far is just food. Maybe at the end of the season I'll look out for some seeds for next year and gardening bargains but one step at a time.

Mushy peas
    Beans
    Tinned tomatoes
    Sweetcorn
    Kidney beans
    Butter beans
    Chickpeas
    Tinned soup
    Rice pudding
    Custard
    UHT milk

I don't buy things we won't eat as I see it as a total waste of money, but having things we eat and use regularly gives me a bit peace of mind incase of hard times like sickness or redundancy. It's always good to have a bit put by.

Tink
    Living the simple life
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all

I've just come across this thread. Have to say since the result I have been concerned and decided a while ago to start stocking up on stuff just in case it goes a bit mad. If everything is fine, well then it will be used up and shopping trips will be smaller.

I grow my own food anyway but have been more focussed this year. If you do plan to start growing my advice would be grown what you eat. Its so easy to get carried away and grow stuff that you don't normally eat.

One thing I've stocked up on is tea ( I would be divorcing DH if he had none. It would be unbareable) and loo roll. I have tins, pasta and lots of other things tucked away too.

I guess its best to be prepared for the worst and if it doesn't happen.....

I will enjoy following this thread.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback