Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 498.2K views

Replies

• mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooooo Kittikins that gives me ideas -- I wonder if I could knit meself a Spanish gardener or a French chef... ;););)
  • cuddlymarmcuddlymarm Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning guys
    It’s brill that you guys are getting stocked up and thinking ahead.
    Today I’m going to have to buy milk, bread and salad stuff but tonight’s meal is from stuff already in. Meatballs in gravy ( the meatballs have been wandering round the freezer for a few weeks now so need eating) with frozen broccoli and a tin of potatoes. I’m determined to make do as much as possible until my online shop comes on Tuesday.
    Also I need to get my CV updated today and will keep an eye out for jobs advertised in windows while I’m out. We’re an old fashioned lot here and employers still do that. I really do need to start putting some money away ( for savings and our next holiday. )
    The weather is supposed to keep improving for the next week or so and be lovely so as much as possible will be done on foot.
    Good for all you gardeners.
    A bit of sunshine really perks me up and I get so much more done.
    Anyway better get on
    Have a good day
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • KittikinsKittikins Forumite
    5.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh Mardartha, you can't get better than a Knitted Welshman :) *swoon*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Small word of caution over pulses, rice, oats, flour etc. don't buy in too much as a) pulses are only good to cook and use for around 18 months, if they get too old they never soften no matter how long you cook them for, b) Flour (particularly wholemeal or stoneground whole wheat) can go rancid if it gets too old and c) All of the above can and do get infestations of thrips, pantry beetle, moth, mites and weevils which can run through your carefully stored stocks like wild fire. Even the most costly and well grown things could harbour insect eggs of one kind or another that will hatch in the warmth of a modern house. A preventive measure is to put any of the above into a sealed freezer bag and actually put them into your freezer for 48 hours which should kill anything lurking but be aware that if you have had a previous problem in the past you could still get a reinfestation even if the freezing trick has happened.
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep flour and lentils in the freezer MrsL. I keep the bottom drawer for that kind of stuff.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Good morning guys
    It’s absolutely gorgeous here and far too nice to be in bed so I’m up and planning a lovely walk along the prom ( and back) when the shops open.
    Yesterday I braved L**l for salad and milk but ended up also buying some of the things on my online shop list (but cheaper) so they have now been knocked off.
    My getting stocked up ( and also saving for our next hol) means I’m also streeeeeeeeetching every meal as far as possible. Yesterday’s was mostly stuff I had in and today’s tea is cauliflower curry. Half a bag of frozen cauli that needs using, a jar of value sauce and some rice ( doesn’t sound particularly inspiring but veggie, SW and cheap 3 of my favourite things)
    Has anyone else noticed that diet pop seems to be in short supply. Yesterday the only type I could find was the expensive stuff ( so we are having squash instead) and Mr T also seems to have loads out of stock.
    I read somewhere yesterday that sweetcorn is one the things that is going to be affected by the trade row between the US and the EU ( but then couldn’t find the source later) so added a couple of bags to my trolley yesterday. We get through loads adding it to soups, stir fries as well as a veg so if there is a shortage or price rise I’ve got it and if not it will get used anyway.
    I hope everyone has a brill day
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    CUDDLES the 'pop' shortage might be because of the shortage of carbon dioxide, the papers have been saying for a few days now that it will affect fizzy drinks and they will be less available in the shops it might (in fact almost certainly will) affect pre packed goods too as they use it inside the packaging to keep things fresher.

Sweetcorn grows well down here, I don't know if it does so well in your more northerly location but I've grown and then taken the corn off the cobs to freeze it very successfully in the past. You get a couple of decent cobs per plant usually so well worth the space on the allotment. In the height of the season it's usually 50p for a huge cob and that gives quite a lot of corn niblets, might be worth investing in fresh cobs and freezing your own?
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mrs LW
    Buying fresh isn!!!8217;t going to kill me if necessary. I popped a couple of bags in the freezer and will see how things go. I can also live without pre packed foods and pop if needed. OH gets grumpy if he can!!!8217;t have fizzy drinks occasionally but if there!!!8217;s a good reason he!!!8217;ll be ok with it.
    It!!!8217;s a bit worrying that Mrs May has started making noises about no agreement if they can!!!8217;t get what they want. The trouble is I don!!!8217;t think that they know what they want.
    Saying that I!!!8217;m not going to worry myself silly over something I!!!8217;ve no control over. All we can do is stock up, keep our eyes and ears open, and live as well as we can.
    TTFN
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16
  • grunniegrunnie Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I grow sweetcorn in a greenhouse and some of the grandchildren love to pick it. It freezes very well. I think diet drinks are going to rise in price and as someone has already said you need to stock up if you can't live without them Something to do with the sugar tax even if they are sugarfree. My local pub has stopped coke and now has pepsi as it is so much cheaper. Yuk I hate that stuff just give me a decent cup of tea and I am happy.
    I filled my store cupboard when I was south to the Highland Show in Edinburgh. I did a click and collect order for Waitrose for their own brands even their shower gel which I love. Bargain too spend £80 and get £20 off.
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi grunnie
    Unfortunately I live in a flat without a garden or near enough to an allotment. I used to have a greenhouse when the kids were young and grew tomatoes and strawberries in pots and really enjoyed that, but can’t any more.
    My mum brought me up to make do with whatever I have ( or can get hold of) so don’t think I’ll struggle if there are shortages of anything or anything I can’t afford. I’m lucky that my boys have both moved out so it is just me and OH. I feel for young families trying to eat healthily cos little ones don’t always want to eat what can be supplied on a tight budget.
    Personally I think there should be more useful basic how to cope on a tight budget type programmes on tv to educate on not just food but other parts of life too. There seems to be plenty on tv saying that people and their kids are fat, unhealthy etc so why can’t they give ideas on how to do something about it. Anyway I’m getting off topic so I’ll go for now
    Cuddles
    January NST 2/16