BT prices are increasing ... for those not on introductory or promotional deals

Options
gussie
gussie Posts: 62 Forumite
edited 4 December 2017 at 1:17PM in Broadband & internet access
MSE states in various places that BT "prices are increasing from 7 January for those not on introductory or promotional deals"

Is this true or not ?

I took the 12month Broadband - Unlimited BT Infinity 1 promo offer in June and they are adamant I have to pay an extra £2.50 for the remaining 7 months.

If it is not true then MSE, PLEASE CORRECT YOUR MISTAKE!
If it is true then who are these mythical BT customers who wont have to pay the increase ?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2017/11/bt-to-hike-prices-in-january-
    If you're on a promo or introductory deal your monthly price won't go up – but if you haggled, it might

BT has confirmed that customers on introductory or promotional broadband deals won't see their monthly broadband prices go up during their fixed deal, but they will still be warned their prices will rise after the end of their minimum contract.

If you receive one of these warnings you will be able to leave your contract penalty-free, but the chances are you're already on a decent deal.

MSE accepts your unreserved apology :)
  • gussie
    Options
    BT are telling me that I have to pay an extra £2.50 per month from January 7th 2018 that is a whole 7 months BEFORE my 12 month promo/inroductory deal ends.

This is at odds with the MSE statement.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    I took out `12 month contact in May --Having had both 200.00 Reward Card from BT and 80.00 Quidco, I am very happy with BT actions as I am now off to Sky non fibre for 70.00 Quidco and 50.00 Reward Card from Sky.

Hello,

We're writing to tell you that the price you pay for your BT services will be changing from 7 January 2018. We've put the changes in a simple table below for you.

We've been making improvements to your BT services to offer you more than ever before, and you can see more about these below. We're not stopping there, we've got some exciting new developments in the pipeline for 2018.

H1_star.png
    Act now to keep your broadband price the same Keep paying the same price as you are now for your broadband, even after the changes in January. All you need to do is renew your contract with us. Just log in now with your BT ID or Account Number.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I find the information posted odd.
    As MSE clearly state .
    BT have said .
    <<BT has confirmed that customers on introductory or promotional broadband deals won't see their monthly broadband prices go up during their fixed deal, but they will still be warned their prices will rise after the end of their minimum contract.
    If you receive one of these warnings you will be able to leave your contract penalty-free, but the chances are you're already on a decent deal.
  • gussie
    edited 4 December 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    The only source stating that "customers on introductory or promotional broadband deals won't see their monthly broadband prices go up during their fixed deal" is MSE !

Everyone on the net is quoting MSE BUT all the BT folks I've spoken to (several phone calls) are denying this and stating that EVERYONE will have to pay extra !

So who is telling the truth?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You should contact MSE .
  • gussie
    Options
    Done, sent a complaint to the MSE team.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    MSE look to have made an error!

But isn't it to your advantage that you can get out now? (BT ts + cs that you agreed when taking out the deal override anything you read on a forum)
  • gussie
    Options
    False expectations are being set by MSE because they haven't bothered to correct their error - very sloppy ! No excuses !

For me, I got a good deal back in June with BT and the service is OK. Annoyed that I have to pay extra for the remaining 7 months of my promo deal. I will pay up and then move on next June.

If I accept their 18 month lock-in deal today, then I deny myself any cashback deal/promo offer from another ISP in 7 months time AND I leave myself open for yet another inevitable BT price increase at any time. There is of course the remote possibility that BT might offer a good retention deal in June, but I doubt it.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gussie wrote: »
    MSE states in various places that BT "prices are increasing from 7 January for those not on introductory or promotional deals"

Is this true or not ?

I took the 12month Broadband - Unlimited BT Infinity 1 promo offer in June and they are adamant I have to pay an extra £2.50 for the remaining 7 months.

If it is not true then MSE, PLEASE CORRECT YOUR MISTAKE!
    If it is true then who are these mythical BT customers who wont have to pay the increase ?

I took out a BT deal in October and they have said my price is not changing(a few call prices are but not broadband), so something is not right with the email they sent you. I would have a chat using the chat request at the bottom of this link

This is what I was sent:

If you've got other services that aren't showing here, don't worry. It means those prices aren't changing.

Standard prices for calls that aren't included in your Calling Plan are increasing on 7 January 2018 as follows:

• Calls to UK landlines and the Access Charge for calls to Service Numbers will go from 12p to 13p a minute • Calls to mobiles from your landline are going up from 16p to 17p a minute. (But if you have the Unlimited Anytime Calls plan, you'll pay half price with a change from 8p to 8.5p a minute) • International calls from your landline are increasing from 46p to 50p for countries in Band A, 76p to 80p for Band B and 136p to 140p for Band C. Visit bt.com/international for more information • The set-up fee for calls will go from 21p to 22p per call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure