MSE News: BT to hike prices in January - watch out for a letter

Options

Comments

• Jay442
    Jay442 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Regarding this - 'BT has said that where it has put up prices, customers will be able to leave without penalty if they let it know within 30 days of receiving its notification' - I want to leave my contract so I called the cancellation department, they told me I can only cancel within 30 days from when the price hike starts which is the 7th January - the above information states it's when receiving the notification, can someone clarify what that means, I haven't received direct notification of the price hike but the information is on the BT website and will affect my contract
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 November 2017 at 2:37PM
    Options
    _Ritchie_ wrote: »
    I have BT fibre broadband, landline (anytime calls) and BT mobile. It doesn't seem mobile is directly affected by the price hike, however if I leave BT due to the other hikes, my BT mobile contract will increase by £5 a month (due to no longer have those products). Is there any way to leave that fee free as well? It seems to me I should since they are increasing the prices on a linked contract.

Very doubtful I'd have thought although it is sneaky. Be happy that you're not with Sky Mobile, that would cost you an extra £10 a month.

How long do you have left on the BT Mobile (if within minimum term)? If it's not much or even better you're rolling monthly give them a call and if they won't budge then ask for your PAC. It's cost free and lasts 30 days, if you don't use it you'll continue at the higher price but at least it'll give them room to think.

Strike that, read boatman's post below.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Jay442 wrote: »
    Regarding this - 'BT has said that where it has put up prices, customers will be able to leave without penalty if they let it know within 30 days of receiving its notification' - I want to leave my contract so I called the cancellation department, they told me I can only cancel within 30 days from when the price hike starts which is the 7th January - the above information states it's when receiving the notification, can someone clarify what that means, I haven't received direct notification of the price hike but the information is on the BT website and will affect my contract

It's 30 days from you receiving your notification. My email arrived yesterday and clearly says so on it.
  • A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    BT should stick to what they were originally here to do as per the GPO. To provide telephone lines. They have no business getting involved with trashy TV coverage when their core business is suffering. It's like the Post Office. No longer a place to buy a stamp and post a letter. Now it's all about insurance, foreign money, telephone and broadband.

The best ISP IMHO is AAISP. I have never had an issue with them - but they aren't a "race to the bottom" provider giving out unsustainable freebies.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 November 2017 at 2:02PM
    Options
    _Ritchie_ wrote: »
    I have BT fibre broadband, landline (anytime calls) and BT mobile. It doesn't seem mobile is directly affected by the price hike, however if I leave BT due to the other hikes, my BT mobile contract will increase by £5 a month (due to no longer have those products). Is there any way to leave that fee free as well? It seems to me I should since they are increasing the prices on a linked contract.
    You get to keep the £5 discount only if you are leaving because of the price rise.
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458/page/29

Look at number 17:
    http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post19thoctober2016mobile-service.html
  • minislim
    minislim Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jay442 wrote: »

In the past BT have been a bit sneaky on how the inform you of their price rises.
    Instead of an actual letter they put the info in their glossy little magazine hidden away within all the other news. that way many miss this until its too late to cancel.
  • CurlySue2017
    Options
    Sorry for posting this as I see there are already a tonne of threads regarding this :o but they get so many comments and go off track and I can't make sense of them.....so here goes.....

Currently with BT and out of initial contract (Fibre BB and line rental). I am paying over the odds, I know that already, but the BB connection has been excellent so it was always a case of do I switch and get it cheaper but get crap BB in return? In my mind I would rather pay a higher price for a reliable connection.

But having just received my price increase notice from them, the price of it is now getting silly so I am going to take the plunge and switch.

Can someone advise what I do in simple terms please?

Do I have to contact BT to advise that I am leaving because of the price increase?

Will I get any upfront line rental payments back?

Or do I just contact the new provider to switch and they do the rest?

As I say, sorry this has been done to death, but I just need to be clear.

Thanks
  • olip74
    olip74 Posts: 98 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you've paid the Line Rental Saver up front and decide to walk, BT are obliged to pay a pro rata refund. However I'm guessing that anyone who has paid the up front costs for installation (~£50) and delivery of the router (~£10 - where do they buy their stamps?!) can kiss that goodbye?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 November 2017 at 3:21PM
    Options
    deleted deleted
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Usual is sign up 12 months that finishes then you continue on a 30 day rolling expensive contract until you give 30 days notice .

And generally when out of contract most providers do not rigidly enforce those 30 days and you pay up until the new provider completes the transfer. Usually a minimum of 14 days anyway because of the cooling off period.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure