NEW Three Mobile Phone - No Returned Policy at Store purchased!!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hate the handset after only using it for 1 day.
    At no point in the sale pitch when I was looking around in the store that the sales person said to me I can not return the phone if I don't like it.
    That's the reasons why I hate the phone. I wanted to change it.
    I was assured that I can replace the phone through their customer service if the phone is not working very well - which it doesn't. It is very slow and keeps freezing all the time.

You made that last bit up didn't you, come on, admit it now.
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 August 2018 at 7:21PM
    Options
    As Colin_Maybe says, the OP is making this up as she goes along.
    Firstly she doesnt like the phone , next thing its faulty.

Secondly she is trying to justify that it should work ok whereas , in fact, through ignorance , she has bought a budget phone that is available for £140 elsewhere.
    If she had done any research at all she would have known it was a budget phone and steered clear.
    I suppose she thinks that retailers have to accept returns on clothes etc. Many do but legally they dont have to, but there is a bit of a difference between a £10 blouse and mobile phone.
    As I previously said I dont think that they should even have to accept returns on onlines sales without some sort of charge for customer ignorance.
    Many other industries charge a restocking fee so why shouldnt they.
    You say I should keep my mouth shut before judging anybody......that would be good advice for yourself given your statement in the original post....OMG....just says it all.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    keith1950 wrote: »
    As Colin_Maybe says, the OP is making this up as she goes along.
    Firstly she doesnt like the phone , next thing its faulty.
    Secondly she said she didnt realise that she couldnt return it and then says that a staff member said she could.
    Thirdly she is trying to justify that it should work ok whereas , in fact, through ignorance , she has bought a budget phone that is available for £140 elsewhere.
    If she had done any research at all she would have known it was a budget phone and steered clear.
    I suppose she thinks that retailers have to accept returns on clothes etc. Many do but legally they dont have to, but there is a bit of a difference between a £10 blouse and mobile phone.
    As I previously said I dont think that they should even have to accept returns on onlines sales without some sort of charge for customer ignorance.
    Many other industries charge a restocking fee so why shouldnt they.
    You say I should keep my mouth shut before judging anybody......that would be good advice for yourself given your statement in the original post....OMG....just says it all.

think you misread that, the staff member didn't say they couldn't, that doesn't mean they said they could
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The OP obviously didn't do any research....even if she had just checked at Three themselves she could have got a much better deal.
    She appears to have bought an Honor 7A which Three themselves only charge £139 on Pay As You Go.
    A quick look would have found the Razer phone which Three sell on Pay As You Go for £599 and it's a much better phone.....it might not have the looks but technically it's specs are up there with the Samsung S9 and top iPhones .
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    People like to trust phone store staff, sadly.
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 August 2018 at 10:08PM
    Options
    It looks like you can get this phone £100 new in the UK eg
    https://www.box.co.uk/Honor-7A-Dual-SIM-UK-Smartphone_2332625.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREiwAucoo-7qobnqDzJaAFqP7NH_wigM8EJQa0pYZ-srz7x4MPMHHPdOKo0NL3RoCSqcQAvD_BwE

So if your phone is unlocked, maybe you could sell it for about £70 as a nearly new phone in mint condition on ebay?

Then go and buy a phone you do like.

You are still stuck with paying £30 a month for 2 years for the contract whereas an equivalent sim only contract might cost less than £10 per month (depending on what sort of allowance you are getting).

It is not normally good value to get a phone contract from a shop - buy the phone and contract separately online. You can get cheap sim only contracts using comparison sites like Uswitch. This way you will have 14 day cooling off periods for both the phone and the contract. Sim only contracts are not normally longer than 12 months (and there are some good rolling 1 month deals) so you are never locked in for too long if your requirements change.

This is too late this time but in two years time you will know what to do.

Everyone makes mistakes but at least you won't make the same mistake again.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Herongull wrote: »
    It looks like you can get this phone £100 new in the UK eg
    https://www.box.co.uk/Honor-7A-Dual-SIM-UK-Smartphone_2332625.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREiwAucoo-7qobnqDzJaAFqP7NH_wigM8EJQa0pYZ-srz7x4MPMHHPdOKo0NL3RoCSqcQAvD_BwE

So if your phone is unlocked, maybe you could sell it for about £70 as a nearly new phone in mint condition on ebay?

Then go and buy a phone you do like.

You are still stuck with paying £30 a month for 2 years for the contract whereas an equivalent sim only contract might cost less than £10 per month (depending on what sort of allowance you are getting).

It is not normally good value to get a phone contract from a shop - buy the phone and contract separately online. You can get cheap sim only contracts using comparison sites like Uswitch. This way you will have 14 day cooling off periods for both the phone and the contract. Sim only contracts are not normally longer than 12 months (and there are some good rolling 1 month deals) so you are never locked in for too long if your requirements change.

This is too late this time but in two years time you will know what to do.

Everyone makes mistakes but at least you won't make the same mistake again.

unfortunately its not as simple as that, once its opened and used you aren't getting a full refund online or not
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    As far as I can figure out, the OP seems to have purchased a 7A phone on contract with 30GB of data and unlimited mins.

If that's the case, the phone part of the contract is around £400... did the OP realise what lousy value that was, and changed their mind at that point?

A 30GB, unlimited mins, 12 month SIM only from Three is £18/month...
  • Herongull
    Herongull Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    unfortunately its not as simple as that, once its opened and used you aren't getting a full refund online or not

If you buy online or by phone, yes you can!

This is because you have additional rights when you buy things at a distance compared with buying in shop (Distance Selling Regulations).

You have to take good care of the item and return it in undamaged condition otherwise they can make a deduction for damage or marks but you can certainly open it and use it.

In relation to a contract, you can also make calls and texts and still cancel within the 14 day cooling off period but they can charge you for the calls, texts and data used when you cancel.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

You seem to disagree with glentoran here...
    If you buy online or by phone, yes you can!

And then agree with them in the next line.... :D
    You have to take good care of the item and return it in undamaged condition otherwise they can make a deduction for damage or marks but you can certainly open it and use it.

Note glentoran said 'full' refund. Not 'no' refund.

Also just for info, the DSR were replaced by The Consumer Contracts Regulations a few years ago. However the principle remains the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure