PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Out of freezer
    2 portions of soup and bread rolls. 2 pieces of teabread - lunch
    Tea is mainly in the fridge (cooked lamb) but I need one bag of plums for the pudding.

Into freezer - nothing

I have recently become aware of just how little space a day's food occupies in the freezer. Considering just how much cubic space there is in my 3 large freezers plus the one in the kitchen under the fridge this challenge is going to take an awful long time.:(
  • Welsh_Poppy
    Options
    Zafiro

I have also come to the same conclusion it is going to be a very long time till my freezers are empty it maybe a whole year!
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January £150/£175
    Feb £150/
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know the feeling - it is going to take me a very long time to get freezers stocks to a more sensible level.
    Out of the freezer so far - 2 slices lorne sausage son had the notion for a fry up. Not sure what else will come out today but 2-3 portions of chicken casserole and some chicken stock need to find a home
  • JensFeet
    Options
    I'm also of the opinion that my freezers will be lasting an awful lot longer than I realised... But what a fab 'problem' to have as reduces the current week by week shopping budget, means we are having lots of variety and reducing our waste. It's fab (although not seeing the space increase is like one of those confusing visual perception puzzles!

I swapped a meal plan day around after a late hospital appointment so they had a frozen chicken pie and frozen potato bits with beans and I had some frozen leftovers. So more freezer space created (you'd think!)

Tea tonight is also changed a little with my daughter having a sleepover so donner meat pizza coming out of freezer for the kids and sticking to turkish sausage and salad for me and OH. Need to plan for next week's meals and will need fresh salad stuff at start of the week but the fridge is still bursting at the seams too. We also need bread today or tomorrow although planning on making some cheese scones with store cupboards and some buttermilk made when I made butter from Christmas cream.

Actually... I wanted to ask how come the cream I got in for Christmas and dated 4th January was absolutely fine and edible on 19th January? Literally would have been quite edible as cream but we hadn't used it up in the last 4 weeks so unlikely to use as cream (and was taking up space in the fridge). It made over 500g of butter and almost a pint of buttermilk (I think that's what the liquid is?) and I was thinking of making this butter into garlic butter for the freezer in portions for making that delicious tear and share garlic and cheese bread. With brie and / or camembert... Phwoar... I'm not a slave to dates and sniff and taste for freshness / quality but CREAM 2 weeks past it's use by was still completely fine - how / why? How much waste does this create?

I also had 2 pots of extra thick brandy cream which was dated 6th January and again absolutely fine and dandy. OH has been dipping a spoon in every time he wanders through the kitchen and there's a box (or 3) of brandy snaps in the cellar from Christmas... I think they have his name on. I LOVE cream but it doesn't love me lol...

Any suggestions for a 400ml pot of low fat greek yogurt? I bought it before Xmas and was planned to use for our fakeaway kebabs and over salad (mint yogurt, tsatsiki and tahini yogurt dressing all favourties in our house). Saying that I can use some tonight with our turkish sausage and salad but what about the rest?

Hope everyone has a great weekend x
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    hi Jensfeet I have one of those large yoghurt pots too... way over best before now but hey its yoghurt so not bothered be nice to see what everyone suggests

My thoughts are some flat breads (but could do without filling the freezer even more) some cucumber riata, replacement for mayo in my tuna sandwiches, served with fruit and honey as a pudding.
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Change of plan for today. Surprise surprise. But used up a few odds and ends and made some inroads into OOD items.

Breakfast was supposed to be pancakes for 2, but only one portion of mix so I had yogurt and fruit.

2 chicken breasts from freezer with a bit more of the open OOD Thai curry paste. Some random packet of Ainsley couscous (it said serves 2, I normally assume that means 3 sensible portions, but it was tiny) Then we ended up with an extra for lunch.

So I eked out the couscous for DH and study group and used up some OOD noodles and ends of veg.

Tonight is a random tinned haggis from the cupboard with Neeps and Tatties.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Franalamadingdong
    Options
    I use Greek yogurt for with curries etc, to make them cool and creamy, or use instead of sour cream with goulash. You can have it with berries honey and some cereal too if you wanted. They're the main uses for us.

Half a pack of turkey mince used, half in the freezer for a chilli at some point. Will be getting that thigh out the freezer tonight for tomorrow. Used the last tin of tomatoes, finished the opened puree (another one in the cupboard) and finished the spaghetti.

Today
    Out:
    tin of beans
    Tin of tomatoes
    Tomato puree
    Half an onion
    Finished a bulb of garlic (1 left)
    Half a pack of turkey mince
    Bacon
    A loaf of bread out of the freezer, but not finished of course
    Spaghetti

In:
    From fridge to the freezer went half a pack of mince
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, I was a bit dubious about the haggis in a tin, but it was quite tasty. Was with venison so a lot less fatty than Macsweens, but also less spicy.

It was just enough for 2 portions with Neeps, tatties and carrots. I did however bin 2 oxo cubes OOD in Sept 2013. They had split and leaked. Now there are only 2 left - OOD Dec 15:eek:

Out for tomorrow.

2 x Breakfast bake
    1 x pork tenderloin.

I don't expect any leftovers:rotfl:
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    After being unsure earlier two haddock fillets, 2 portions of oven chips (was supposed to make wedges but apathy intervened) and a tin of mushy peas made it out of stores/freezer. LO chicken casserole and chicken stock / carcass pickings are still lurking in the fridge to deal with tomorrow. Two kiwi fruit binned - really beyond redemption and son made a hole in the LO trifle though suspect the remains might be binned tomorrow unless I have real notion for a pudding. Hate waste and do try to minimise but sometimes it happens and my waistline will thank me for not eating up the trifle just because it's there:)
  • FurryBeastOz
    Options
    Oops. Also out one blueberry muffin, but in 6 sausage rolls. They'll be gone by the end of the week for DH's lunches.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport