School Holiday Fines

Options

Comments

• ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aliphil wrote: »
    When I accepted my child's school place, I had to tick something saying that I agreed to abide by the school's policies. I imagine this is standard across all authorities, and obviously will include attendance. To me that's a bargain - the school agrees to teach my child, and in return I support its policies. If I were to break that, I think the school would be justified in refusing to teach my child - yes, I know that would be unlikely to happen, but it's a logical consequence.

If you don't want to abide by state school policies, there's always the option to home educate. Yes, it would probably involve turning your life upside down, but if your freedom to spend time with your children whenever you choose is so important, why wouldn't you be willing to do that?

I have never signed any of these so called school agreements, you are not obliged to, however legally the state are obliged to offer your child a state funded school place if you require it. It isn't free, we all pay for it, all our lives, just like the N.H.S, bin collections et al.

Plus there is no set state policy, local L.E.As and schools pretty much make it up as they go. Yes there is basic legislation about ensuring your child is receives regular education. I ask again though why are English parents being penalised, but not Scottish, nor Welsh nor the privately educated.

This is NOTHING to do with helping the kids and everything to do with cash. Now they have the supreme court decision the next step will be to hike the penalties to get the cash rolling in, yet another stealth tax.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In answer to your question, I imagine it's because Wales and Scotland have devolved power over education. I know that in Wales they have no SATs or academies either.

As for independent schools then it's probably because in the government's eyes they can do no wrong. They aren't required to follow the national curriculum either.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    Yes, how selfish of people to want to take their children away when they can get Annual leave from their employers. Or want to take them abroad to celebrate an older relatives birthday, or see them before they die. Or manage a break in between the parent having treatment for something serious or terminal.

There must be soooo many people who can only get annual leave in September, or whos aunt has a birthday they must attend or have a relative at deaths door, given how full hotels in the likes of Spain seem to be in September
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    As for independent schools then it's probably because in the government's eyes they can do no wrong. They aren't required to follow the national curriculum either.

Independent schools don't need to follow the national curriculum because they are independent.

Parents of pupils at fee paying schools are, in effect, fining themselves if they take their children out of school during term time. They pay per term and don't get a refund for non-attendance.
  • mrsinvisible
    mrsinvisible Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Options
    takman, no, sorry, when the school organises a trip to france, or to go skiing only those few children whose parents pay for this go. Their classmates continue with school as normal. The schools seem to think that that is ok. But if l take my child out of school covering those same dates l am fined.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    takman, no, sorry, when the school organises a trip to france, or to go skiing only those few children whose parents pay for this go. Their classmates continue with school as normal. The schools seem to think that that is ok. But if l take my child out of school covering those same dates l am fined.

I agree that is quite an unfair system!.

When i went to school they had an activities week set out in the school calender each year. During this week a range of trips were available to choose from depending on what year you were in and what subjects you had chosen. These ranged from residential trips abroad or in the UK to a series of day trips. The children who chose no paid activities still had to come to school but they didn't do normal lessons.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    I have never signed any of these so called school agreements, you are not obliged to, however legally the state are obliged to offer your child a state funded school place if you require it. It isn't free, we all pay for it, all our lives, just like the N.H.S, bin collections et al.

Plus there is no set state policy, local L.E.As and schools pretty much make it up as they go. Yes there is basic legislation about ensuring your child is receives regular education. I ask again though why are English parents being penalised, but not Scottish, nor Welsh nor the privately educated.

This is NOTHING to do with helping the kids and everything to do with cash. Now they have the supreme court decision the next step will be to hike the penalties to get the cash rolling in, yet another stealth tax.

Ali x

Scottish parents can be penalised by referral to the children’s panel, the issuing of attendance orders and prosecution.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    There must be soooo many people who can only get annual leave in September, or whos aunt has a birthday they must attend or have a relative at deaths door, given how full hotels in the likes of Spain seem to be in September
    There probably is. I had a look at our holiday calendar board at work today. Only one of us (me) has children in education, but from mid June until mid Sept there's perhaps 2 separate weeks available when no-one is off and we're a team of 4, 5 if you include the manager! If you look at the 6 weeks holidays, there's only a total of 7 odd days free, most of which aren't consecutive. From September 10th (ish) no one is off until towards the end of the year.
  • Desiderata58
    Options
    I wonder if someone could advise me please as I've not seen my situation arise. My son has special needs and isn't in a full time placement, he goes to a local school/academy for one hour after everyone has gone home. This us whilst we were waiting on an ehcp. This has now been approved so this is the last term here. As he will have another place to go suited for his needs. We've been doing this one hour almost 3yrs. He's year 9 going upto 10. We've never been away, and I've found him the perfect retreat to help ease his anxiety and depression. It's a week before term ends. Will I be fined. Bearing in mind they only keep him on this hour to keep being financed for him plus they couldn't deal with him any other way as they kept excluding him before realising his complex needs, Thanks in advance.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Options
    I wonder if someone could advise me please as I've not seen my situation arise. My son has special needs and isn't in a full time placement, he goes to a local school/academy for one hour after everyone has gone home. This us whilst we were waiting on an ehcp. This has now been approved so this is the last term here. As he will have another place to go suited for his needs. We've been doing this one hour almost 3yrs. He's year 9 going upto 10. We've never been away, and I've found him the perfect retreat to help ease his anxiety and depression. It's a week before term ends. Will I be fined. Bearing in mind they only keep him on this hour to keep being financed for him plus they couldn't deal with him any other way as they kept excluding him before realising his complex needs, Thanks in advance.

Because of this they may think it's exceptional circumstances and give permission especially if the retreat is just on that week and cant be done in the school holidays. The only way you'll find out is to make an appointment with the Head, go into school, explain the situation and ask.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure