The Great 'Shrinking Food' Hunt

Options

Comments

• laurel7172
    laurel7172 Posts: 2,071 Forumite
    Options
    On basic items, I find it annoying.

On things like single serving treats, it's probably no bad thing.
    import this
  • spongebob69
    spongebob69 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I usually buy Batchellors Soupifulls from the supermarkets but only last week when i look they had changed the packaging design and dropped the size by 25% but the price is still the same the cheeky sods!!
  • **skinnyminny**
    Options
    mullerlights have shrunk now :(

They used to be 200g pots and are all now sold as 190g but at the same price.

Flumps, the marshmallows that you get for 10p have also shrunk, they are tiny now.
    :j:j:j
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bottles of bleach (almost all brands) have shrunk from 1 litre to 750ml. Washing powder boxes are smaller. I think my biggest laugh was buying Lazy Garlic (English Provender?) which had shrunk to look as if it belonged in a dolls' house. Do 'they' really think we're too stupid to notice that we're paying more for less??
  • border_collie
    Options
    Bath power really small now, I won't be buying it again.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.
  • Debt_Free_Dreamer
    Options
    Pepperdews shrunk their jar.

6007788002428_90.jpg I used to buy at least 4 jars every time I went shopping as we could eat one jar per meal. (we love hot stuff). More often than not, without the meal as the OH would stand in the kitchen picking them out with a fork. delish.....

After they shrunk the jar, we never bought it again. :(

It is now 260g and I am sure it must have been around 350g before. There were never enough in the jar before, now it is plain mean..
    I want to be credit card and loan free by Christmas 2010
  • Ilovecubbage
    Options
    Ohh, I am glad its not just me, I thought I was immagining it , there is loots of stuff which has been shrinking. I go round the shop pick it up and put it down with a comment that is a lot lighter then it used to be, I am not buying that, do they think we are all stupid! A lot of people looking at me like I was mad or something, obviously they haven`t noticed yet.

Doritoes from 250g to 225g, penguin bars much smaller( they don`t put the waight on it now- so you know that it`s been reduced), some packs of Philadelphia cheese, kiddies packets of sweets.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bertollis pasta sauce has gone down in size from 500g to 400g with no reduction in price, did manage to find some of the 500g in home bargains at a reasonable price
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fruit shoot H2O (flavoured water) has gone down to 250ml a bottle instead of 300ml, only noticed cos found the old size bottles in b and m. Again there is no reduction in price on single bottles or 4 packs :(
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • WishI'dReadSooner
    Options
    Colmans Sauce Tartare 250ml used to be pretty liquid & a jar lasted a while.
    The last couple of times we bought it's now like a mousse. Same volume BUT it's got to have less than half the amount of actual sauce than it used to have & we use double or triple the amount we used to before.

Looks exactly the same but this is shrinkage at its' worst as they are using volume instead of weight.

What next? Whipped cream already whipped at the same price?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure