Tesla News & Discussion

Options

Comments

• Soscini
    Soscini Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesla Cybertruck - the pickup with most disadvantageous features.
    - insane speed: to break the cargo into tiny bits
    - bulletproof: ISIS fighters to ditch Toyota's for Tesla ��
    - stainless steel body: to get a few bucks when taken to the scrapyard

And still, I would buy one ������
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,057 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesla Model S and X sales are down year on year - main factor is probably not new EVs from Audi, Prosche etc but that those who want a long range EV and were forced to chose the S and X as that was the only game in town can now buy a model 3 LR for a lot less.

Which brings us on to the Model Y - as a European buyer the Y seems to be much more in tune with what people want to purchase than the 3 - certainly in the UK the market for a low seated booted saloon is much smaller than that for a higher suv/crossover with a hatch. If the price differential between a 3 and a y is small I can see the current demand for the 3 disappearing to be replaced by even more sales of the Y. (I know some markets like the US and China probably have more 'sedan' sales).

The point of the above is that I don't actually see demand for the Model Y being in addition to current demand for the M3 but to a large extent cannibalistic. Thus if the M Y can sell 400k per year this might be at the expense of M3 sales falling from 300k pa to 150k pa - still more sales overall for Tesla but not simply a matter of adding M Y to existing M3.
    I think....
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Year end SMMT stats in this article

https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_uk_2019

Other imports (which presumably is mainly Tesla) over 14k units.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another take on the Tesla unintended acceleration/conspiracy theory story - from a pro EV site so no ‘deny till you die’ claims please.

https://electrek.co/2020/01/20/tesla-defends-against-claims-unintended-acceleration-tsla-short/
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Conceding that some buy an EV for environmental reasons, I can't help thinking that the discussion on EVs in general is dominated by the British obsession with 'fuel' costs - (MPG in earlier days)

What does the average motorist spend on petrol/diesel in a year? For 10k miles pa @ 40mpg with fuel @£1.30 a litre it is £1,475pa. As every motoring magazine will say that sum is 'small beer' against cost of depreciation on new cars - less so with older cars.

Personally I believe that to overcome the the range/'refueling' disadvantage of EVs, the prices should reduce to below that of comparable IC cars. A Hybrid without such a price premium would be a better bet.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 21 January 2020 at 9:09PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Conceding that some buy an EV for environmental reasons, I can't help thinking that the discussion on EVs in general is dominated by the British obsession with 'fuel' costs - (MPG in earlier days)

What does the average motorist spend on petrol/diesel in a year? For 10k miles pa @ 40mpg with fuel @£1.30 a litre it is £1,475pa. As every motoring magazine will say that sum is 'small beer' against cost of depreciation on new cars - less so with older cars.

Personally I believe that to overcome the the range/'refueling' disadvantage of EVs, the prices should reduce to below that of comparable IC cars. A Hybrid without such a price premium would be a better bet.
    Hi

But that argument falls into the 'average' logic trap you've set ....

An 'average' motorist averaging 10k miles/year won't be experiencing range anxiety on a regular basis and likely would be 'refuelling' on a much advantageous basis - ie, at home at a convenient time, probably weekly or even once every other week with only the occasional use of the fast charge network .... at the other end of the logic scale we have the motorists which would logically experience the range and fuelling issues you raise on a regular basis, but they would be ones racking up well over 10k miles per year, therefore their fuel costs would far exceed the ~£1500 you calculated & propose ... using your own logic wouldn't a rep-mobile covering 50k miles/year have a fuel cost of 5x as much (?), so somewhere in excess of £7k/year with considerable high mileage maintenance costs above that? (I know someone that has his car serviced every couple of months (cost!), but still needs a regular rest break even with an ICE vehicle (potential charging windows!) !!)

Attempting to employ generalisation to convey both low savings & range anxiety at the same time seems to be more than a little illogical ... what are you attempting to say? .... low mileage motorists won't see much of a fuel saving so EVs aren't worthwhile? -or- high mileage motorists will spend half of their waking hours static & watching electrons trickle into their modern day milk-float so EVs aren't worthwhile? ... sorry, the argument is wildly outdated & about as cohesive as placing all UK PV in the South-West as opposed to a combination of being close to centres of population & demand side!!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • ABrass
    ABrass Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hybrids have all the cost of an ICE and some of the cost of an EV (motor, power electronics). They're always going to cost more than an ICE vehicle.

The increase in BEV numbers might help reduce the cost premium as mass production brings down the costs of the EV components but it'll never be zero.

I can see a future where non ICE vehicles are banned unless they are hybrids with a certain range. Beyond that they're going to struggle as BEVs become cheaper and as the ranges increase.
    8kW (4kW WNW, 4kW SSE) 6kW inverter. 6.5kWh battery.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ABrass wrote: »
    ... I can see a future where non ICE vehicles are banned unless they are hybrids with a certain range. Beyond that they're going to struggle as BEVs become cheaper and as the ranges increase.
    Hi

Don't need a crystal ball for that one ... it's stated government policy to achieve this for new vehicle sales by 2040!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

. what are you attempting to say? .... low mileage motorists won't see much of a fuel saving so EVs aren't worthwhile? -
    Z

Not 'attempting to say' firmly stating that as my opinion!

You introduced high annual mileage vehicles - not I. So feel free to agree with yourself.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Tesla Model S and X sales are down year on year - main factor is probably not new EVs from Audi, Prosche etc but that those who want a long range EV and were forced to chose the S and X as that was the only game in town can now buy a model 3 LR for a lot less.

Which brings us on to the Model Y - as a European buyer the Y seems to be much more in tune with what people want to purchase than the 3 - certainly in the UK the market for a low seated booted saloon is much smaller than that for a higher suv/crossover with a hatch. If the price differential between a 3 and a y is small I can see the current demand for the 3 disappearing to be replaced by even more sales of the Y. (I know some markets like the US and China probably have more 'sedan' sales).

The point of the above is that I don't actually see demand for the Model Y being in addition to current demand for the M3 but to a large extent cannibalistic. Thus if the M Y can sell 400k per year this might be at the expense of M3 sales falling from 300k pa to 150k pa - still more sales overall for Tesla but not simply a matter of adding M Y to existing M3.

While the market is indeed slowly going towards SUVs and taller bigger cars the fact is 7 of the top 10 selling cars are small hatchbacks and the 3 SUVs are small cheap SUVs.

Tesla will stay a niche brand for some time maybe for the foreseeable
    The average of the top 10 selling cars in the UK only cost £16,000
    Model 3 is closer to £40,000

They really need something considerably cheaper than a model 3 if they want to enter the volume market

A model 2 the size of a golf/focus for £25,000 (golf and focus are around £18,000)
    A model 1 the size of a polo/Fiesta for £20,000 (polo/Fiesta are £13-14k)

And their model 1 can be their self drive taxi fleet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport