Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 January 2020 at 3:39PM
    Options

SA302 was never meant to show what tax you owe, per se, but to give you HMRC's analysis of your tax liability over a particular tax year - based upon your SA100 for that particular tax year. SA300 was meant to show what you owe HMRC and when you need to pay it.

SA300 just about does that, but SA302 has been polluted by more recent measures. So moving the pollutants out - if that is the policy - has got to be a good thing, IMHO.
  • GTS1406
    Options
    I really hope you didn't both do it. Except in million to one circumstances it should just be one of you applying.

I mean my husband applied to transfer part of his allowance to me
    There is no "2016" with income tax, it is either 2015:16 or 2016:17. And Marriage Allowance existed for both of those years and is still in date for applications.

I mean 2015:2016. They said on the phone that it's no longer possible to apply for 2015:2016
    Before applying though are you certain that whoever is applying is both eligible and that, as a couple, you will benefit??

Yes we have checked the criteria on the gov.uk website and believe he is eligible, he was on a low income from for a few years and I was a basic rate tax payer. We've submitted a retrospective application.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I mean 2015:2016. They said on the phone that it's no longer possible to apply for 2015:2016

No idea why they told you that. Providing he applies before the end of the current tax year there should be no problem.

https://www.rossmartin.co.uk/penalties-a-compliance/compliance/347-time-limits-for-assessment-and-claims
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I really hope you didn't both do it. Except in million to one circumstances it should just be one of you applying.

Two parties with 7.5% taxable dividends - e.g. all of those husband and wife personal service companies. That's surely many per million.

Not heard of anyone trying it though - but the legislation doesn't seem to prevent it. A nice little earner for the class of taxpayer that HMRC most despises...;)
  • sebo0607
    sebo0607 Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I am a little confused by the eligibility, for the marriage allowance, my wife earns significantly under the £12500 limit. However, I earn slightly over £50k but after deducting my SIPP contribution I am under the £50k HRT limit and do not pay higher rate tax.

Can we transfer part of my wife's allowance or not, thanks for any help.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I am a little confused by the eligibility,

You're not on your own :p
    However, I earn slightly over £50k but after deducting my SIPP contribution I am under the £50k HRT limit and do not pay higher rate tax.

Do you have any dividend income?
    Can we transfer part of my wife's allowance or not

Whatever the overall outcome is the answer to this no. "We" cannot transfer anything. Your wife is clearly eligible to apply for Marriage Allowance and if she applies this will mean she gets a reduced Personal Allowance of £11,250 in the current tax year.

If you are also eligible (depends on dividend position) and your wife applies then you will get £250 knocked off your tax bill (you don't get any extra allowances, it's a tax credit).
  • sebo0607
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, the use of "We" was just a mistake on my part. I understand it is my wife who could transfer part of the unused allowance to me.

I have no other dividend income etc, I will phone the helpline and check the possibility.
    Thanks
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Based on what you have posted you are both eligible.

Phoning HMRC is a waste of yours and their time, just get your wife to apply.
  • randm
    randm Posts: 491 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i am the lower income no tax payer, i had to phone in as the online credit i.d. thing was trying to get me to choose between a list of mortgages that i had never had accounts with, my husband has received his new tax code of 1375m. i was told there would be no backdated pay, hubby has been f.t. working from september 2018 bringing home over £1200 a month minimum, though he worked for one company sept 18 -april 19,and then went straight into his new job with another company.is it right that there is no backpay for that work????, any clarification would help as i do not want to have to ring hmrc again if need be. thank you.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    hubby has been f.t. working from september 2018 bringing home over £1200 a month minimum,

Did he actually pay any tax by the end of the 2018:19 tax year?

Was his tax code from 6 April 2019 to now 1250L?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback