Moving forward and upwards

Options

Comments

• Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    You sound very organised MovingForwards. Well done on the probationary review it all sounds very promising. I wish I knew more about pensions but I wouldn’t know where to start!
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You sound very organised MovingForwards. Well done on the probationary review it all sounds very promising. I wish I knew more about pensions but I wouldn’t know where to start!

Thank you, I'm obsessively organised!

There is no issue with my work / role, my manager is just counting down the time til the official letter can be handed to me ;)

I've tried looking at pensions again, it's too much for my little brain :rotfl:
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi MF - glad the probationary review went well and that they continue to make adjustments for you. I would be tempted to focus on buying your own place and come back to AVCs later. Even with AVCs you may be able to transfer the to a SIPP at some point - or you can set it up as a sipp and do it yourself from the start. If you are unsure the AVC is likely to be the easiest route. Glad you got a DB pension.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • jayniee1964
    Options
    Hi MovingForwards, just want to say good on you! Nice to see someone so ambitious in this current climate!
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Hi MF - glad the probationary review went well and that they continue to make adjustments for you. I would be tempted to focus on buying your own place and come back to AVCs later. Even with AVCs you may be able to transfer the to a SIPP at some point - or you can set it up as a sipp and do it yourself from the start. If you are unsure the AVC is likely to be the easiest route. Glad you got a DB pension.

Good morning SH, the focus is buying, I'm not doing anything else about the pension at the moment, just trying to see what options I have and understand what I need to do to get what I want.

Once I've my own place my plan is:
    * to make small overpayments (OP) for a few months, as it gives me time to start receiving the gas / electric bills and adjust my budget accordingly.
    * then when I get my annual payrise split it 50/50 between OP and pension.
    * by January 2021 I will have settled into my new life, my budgets will be a reflection of my outgoings and I will be better placed to make pension decisions.

I want to clear the mortgage in 10 years; the first 5 years will be fixed with a sub-prime lender, the last 5 years with a normal lender. My credit history will be squeaky clean in 5 years and all the bad history gone. Of course, I always have the option of paying the ERC and remortgaging after a few years, but for now it's all about getting my home and the rest will get planned once I'm in :j

I'm conscious with my age and current pension provisions (excluding the DB pension), I won't be in a good place. If I leave my pensions where they are, I can add to them each month.

I know the amount I want monthly in today's money, it's doing it so I have the equivalent in 24 years.

The good thing is work list all their pay bands and what it is per year, so each year I can budget knowing what my payrise will be and when it is. I have 3 or 4 payrises between now and the top of my band.

As it stands when I do move, my savings will be depleted to about £1k, that scares me the most :eek:

I also know how much I can put away when I move into savings, OP and pension. Priority is building up savings pots eg emergency fund, car fund and property repairs; there is no point going all in with a pension and having nothing for car bills or a roof repair and then having to take a loan or put it on my CC and spread the payments.

The only debt I ever want is a mortgage debt, but I know this isn't a perfect world, but I will do my best never to go down that dark road again :o
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Hi MovingForwards, just want to say good on you! Nice to see someone so ambitious in this current climate!

The current climate doesn't concern me, it's been here for quite a while nothing is going to change immediately, perhaps because I'm older than most FTBs I am just taking it in my stride.

I need a place to live when I retire and will not be in a rental and at the mercy of a LL.

The longer I wait the more prices go up, the shorter the mortgage term, the higher the mortgage payment, the harder it will be for me to cut a day at work in the future and other plans.

My proposed interest rate would make many people flinch. I accidentally didn't change the interest rate, from a normal one to the one I'm looking at, on a mortgage overpayment calculator and gasped at the difference in payment, but it's the price I have to pay for my former life.

Even though my rate will be high, the payment will be a lot lower than my rental is now; joint tenancy and liability for all the rent if my flatmate screws up :rotfl:

It will all work out as I want, sooner or later I will be in my own home :j
  • MovingForwards
    Options
    Time to update my savings goal:

I need to have £3944 for my associated fees (AFs) :eek: as up until now I have focused on getting a deposit, the AFs have run quietly alongside my MSAs. It's time to split deposit from AFs.

I do like the steps idea, but need to plan differently to avoid confusion when reading my diary! Thinking letters of the alphabet would be the way forward, therefore I have to reach the letter 'U' as that will give me a spare few quid.

So far I have £1866 towards the AFs, and am on the letter 'R', this is a short, fast race to reach the top of getting £2058 together and have planned £700pm for 3 months, the extra money will then kickstart my home repairs / maintenance budget.

The extra £50+ I normally tuck away will go to my car fund pot and emergency fund savings; I'm not going to be recording them here at this stage as that's something for me to monitor privately for now.

Until this diary has served its purpose and I have keys in my hand, it is purely a place for me to keep on track with buying a home :T
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Midweek update.

For 17 months I've lived in this rental, it's a living hell with the a few of the neighbours in the block, yelling, screaming, partying, drugs and I can't take much more, I'm exhausted. It's got to the point where I'm crying every night when it's time to go to bed and I'm like a zombie all day, due to lack of sleep. Had in been in my previous career I would be able to do my job with my eyes closed, now I'm still learning, getting more tasks added and thankfully I have an understanding boss. (Neighbours won't listen and deny it's them)

I have a calendar at work and I'm crossing the days off til my probation can officially be ended and I get that letter the lender wants.

Haven't got round to reading the AVC guide from work, but am noting some of the threads about savings / pension platform companies (vanguard, Hargreaves, cavandish etc), as you will have gathered I like doing research before jumping in.

So far I have increased my S&S ISA to £10 pm, I cut it down to £5 pm due to saving the deposit. My plan is to review this again later in the year. This is a pot I dont want to dip into again, it's the one that helped kickstart clearing my CCJ.

I'm going to be buying a PB payday. Ideally I would like to buy one each month, but I'm reviewing this on a month by month basis. This is my pension cash pot as I've no intention of cashing it in before I hit retirement; I'm hoping to be working 2 days a week by the time I'm 60, give what's left of my body a chance to get me through my golden years.

I've earmarked my other two current accounts; car related and property repairs and am putting a little bit in each month.

My cash ISA will be converted into external property repair fund when it's no longer required as a MSA pot.

I've a regular saver, that one will be converted to my emergency fund when it's no longer required as a MSA pot.

Payday in 6 days and I have just under £25.

I've really nailed this budgeting and no spend thing :D
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OMG your financial news sounds great. Good, now tell me how you stick to the NSDs as I made a pig's ar*e of myself and bought a flipping handback I didn't need.

How do you stop clicking on social media and fleabay?

I am so sorry about your neighbours. It sounds awful in a few months this will all be over as you will have escaped.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your neighbours and can see why you are so desperate to move. At least you know you are taking all the steps you reasonably can.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure