Catering costs for a party

Options
I’m arranging a surprise party in in our local village hall for my husband and as it’s a surprise for about 100 people I just won’t be able to cater it myself. Ideally I’d like a snack van outside doing rolls & sausage and rolls & egg, baked potatoes, street food etc. Instead of a buffet, or the dreaded trays of lasagne and ratatouille. But, I’ve no idea how much this is likely to cost, or even if it’s the best option. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking at a few sites you are looking at 8-15 quid a head for a van - much more the more different types of food required

Do you not have any family who can help cater? inlaws?

TBH, I personally wouldn't flinch at catering for 100 myself, esp if there is a kitchen onsite and all that was wanted was egg and bacon. butties and jacket spuds.
  • Kat78MFW
    Kat78MFW Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No idea how much they cost but how about a hog roast or I wonder if you can hire someone that brings a mobile pizza oven. You'll be able to enjoy the party so much more if someone else is sorting the food for you. Even catering for smaller numbers, around 40, I have found myself being tucked away in the kitchen for most of the event.
    MFW since March 2019Mortgage-free 30th June 2023 My diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5974849/six-years-and-counting#latest
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Don't forget folks with dietary requirements - we were at a friend's birthday once and the veggie option was a potato scone in a roll or just a plain buttered roll because the kitchen hadn't thought of anything else.

There's a very good vegan van called The Hogless Roast, absolutely delicious even if you're not vegan. I know it won't float everyone's boat but just a recommendation.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kaggi
    kaggi Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Looking at a few sites you are looking at 8-15 quid a head for a van - much more the more different types of food required

Do you not have any family who can help cater? inlaws?

TBH, I personally wouldn't flinch at catering for 100 myself, esp if there is a kitchen onsite and all that was wanted was egg and bacon. butties and jacket spuds.

Thanks but I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen, I want to enjoy the party and I want all the in-laws to enjoy it too, so as I work full time I really don’t want to be left with it all to do in the run up and on the night.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,526 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The downside with a single takeaway fast food van is everyone expects to eat at once.

As I have experienced you can't get a variety of food out fast enough to cater for 100 over a short period.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kaggi wrote: »
    Thanks but I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen, I want to enjoy the party and I want all the in-laws to enjoy it too, so as I work full time I really don’t want to be left with it all to do in the run up and on the night.

Have a look here for quotes

https://www.addtoevent.co.uk/listings/food-vans

However, as pointed out, don't expect everyone to be fed at once

You may be better off getting someone local to come in and cater for you, choosing a menu that allows for 100 to be fed at the same time
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Don't forget folks with dietary requirements - we were at a friend's birthday once and the veggie option was a potato scone in a roll or just a plain buttered roll because the kitchen hadn't thought of anything else.

I've done a family event for half that number over Christmas and had to make allowances for some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some lactose-free, some vegetarians and some vegans.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We did our own catering at our parties. Went to a local pizza place and ordered , they delivered , easy peasy.
    How about Costco or M&S?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • kaggi
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    We did our own catering at our parties. Went to a local pizza place and ordered , they delivered , easy peasy.
    How about Costco or M&S?

We did that for my mums 70th and it worked well so don’t want to do the same thing, especially when my husband isn’t hugely fond of pizza. But thanks for the idea.
  • kaggi
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I've done a family event for half that number over Christmas and had to make allowances for some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some lactose-free, some vegetarians and some vegans.

Your family sounds like mine. In the immediate family we have 3 veggies, a coeliac, one lactose intolerant.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure