»

Catering costs for a party

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Catering costs for a party

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Going Out Deals
12 replies 1.7K views
kaggikaggi Forumite
167 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Going Out Deals
I’m arranging a surprise party in in our local village hall for my husband and as it’s a surprise for about 100 people I just won’t be able to cater it myself. Ideally I’d like a snack van outside doing rolls & sausage and rolls & egg, baked potatoes, street food etc. Instead of a buffet, or the dreaded trays of lasagne and ratatouille. But, I’ve no idea how much this is likely to cost, or even if it’s the best option. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
«1

Replies

  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at a few sites you are looking at 8-15 quid a head for a van - much more the more different types of food required

    Do you not have any family who can help cater? inlaws?

    TBH, I personally wouldn't flinch at catering for 100 myself, esp if there is a kitchen onsite and all that was wanted was egg and bacon. butties and jacket spuds.
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • Kat78MFWKat78MFW Forumite
    115 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary
    No idea how much they cost but how about a hog roast or I wonder if you can hire someone that brings a mobile pizza oven. You'll be able to enjoy the party so much more if someone else is sorting the food for you. Even catering for smaller numbers, around 40, I have found myself being tucked away in the kitchen for most of the event.
    Current mortgage (March 19) £54 943 (5yr fix since Jan 18 Interest Only 1.99%)
    Current monthly payment £799 (£109 interest and £690 repayment)
    Current Mortgage Free Date March 2025
    Opening mortgage balance June 2002 - £114 000
    Re-mortgage May 2007 £118 000 (borrowed extra £14 000 to pay loan back to BIL+SIL)
    Agreed repayment date May 2027
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget folks with dietary requirements - we were at a friend's birthday once and the veggie option was a potato scone in a roll or just a plain buttered roll because the kitchen hadn't thought of anything else.

    There's a very good vegan van called The Hogless Roast, absolutely delicious even if you're not vegan. I know it won't float everyone's boat but just a recommendation.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16


  • kaggikaggi Forumite
    167 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Looking at a few sites you are looking at 8-15 quid a head for a van - much more the more different types of food required

    Do you not have any family who can help cater? inlaws?

    TBH, I personally wouldn't flinch at catering for 100 myself, esp if there is a kitchen onsite and all that was wanted was egg and bacon. butties and jacket spuds.

    Thanks but I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen, I want to enjoy the party and I want all the in-laws to enjoy it too, so as I work full time I really don’t want to be left with it all to do in the run up and on the night.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The downside with a single takeaway fast food van is everyone expects to eat at once.

    As I have experienced you can't get a variety of food out fast enough to cater for 100 over a short period.
  • suki1964suki1964 PPR Forumite
    13.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaggi wrote: »
    Thanks but I don’t want to be stuck in the kitchen, I want to enjoy the party and I want all the in-laws to enjoy it too, so as I work full time I really don’t want to be left with it all to do in the run up and on the night.

    Have a look here for quotes


    https://www.addtoevent.co.uk/listings/food-vans

    However, as pointed out, don't expect everyone to be fed at once

    You may be better off getting someone local to come in and cater for you, choosing a menu that allows for 100 to be fed at the same time
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    Don't forget folks with dietary requirements - we were at a friend's birthday once and the veggie option was a potato scone in a roll or just a plain buttered roll because the kitchen hadn't thought of anything else.

    I've done a family event for half that number over Christmas and had to make allowances for some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some lactose-free, some vegetarians and some vegans.
  • suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    We did our own catering at our parties. Went to a local pizza place and ordered , they delivered , easy peasy.
    How about Costco or M&S?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • kaggikaggi Forumite
    167 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    suejb2 wrote: »
    We did our own catering at our parties. Went to a local pizza place and ordered , they delivered , easy peasy.
    How about Costco or M&S?

    We did that for my mums 70th and it worked well so don’t want to do the same thing, especially when my husband isn’t hugely fond of pizza. But thanks for the idea.
  • kaggikaggi Forumite
    167 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I've done a family event for half that number over Christmas and had to make allowances for some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some lactose-free, some vegetarians and some vegans.

    Your family sounds like mine. In the immediate family we have 3 veggies, a coeliac, one lactose intolerant.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support