Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    They also have the advantage of not being produced by the hideous Kraft/Heinz which, having done so much harm when it purchased Cadbury, is now looking to devour Unilever too.
    PLRFD wrote: »
    The Unilever merger has been scrapped now.
    Yep, the deals off. No firm knows how to devalue a brand quite like Kraft.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Aldi's excellent Provive Shampoos and Conditioners look to have just gone on to a long term price reduction: from 75p down to 65p. In my Aldi, at least, this was on a yellow price label, suggesting it's not a short-term special offer.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    edited 23 February 2017 at 3:44AM
    Options
    Over with the rice and pasta at Aldi was something new to me. 500g bags of plain quinoa and giant quinoa. I think they were 59p and 89p respectively. Labelled 'The Foodie Market'.
    Much cheaper than seen anywhere else. Quinoa is quinoa, so it should be fine.
    Meanwhile, I am training myself to say keen-wah in my mind and not quin - oh - ah.

Edit. It was couscous, not quinoa. Ooops
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 February 2017 at 3:07AM
    Options
    Big post alert!!!

I discovered this week just how lovely the Aldi ground coffee is. I have a new cafetiere that brews a lovely cup, and the Colombian roast (strength 3) is pretty perfect for me. It's not an overpowering coffee but has plenty of smooth flavour.

When I bought it, I used my tried and tested method with multi-choice new items of going for the most popular, the variety that had the lowest number left on the shelves. This method rarely lets me down and it didn't this time.
    thedogsmum wrote: »
    Likewise with the ground coffee from Lidl - I love the Guatamalan one (purple pack). Never thought about the best going first but, you're right, I always have to go to the bottom tray to get one. Currently £1.79 per 200g pack and hoping it will be a weekend special at some point
    Yep. The Aldi Colombian is fab! Our favourite for our filter machine is Tesco Colombian but £2 for 200g. Aldi is £1.79 and about 95% same taste. We buy two packs at a time so get the Colombian (or Java/Guatemalan) as the ‘treat’ and an Alcafe Everyday type stuff (can’t remember proper name) it is only £1.39 for slightly bigger 227g-ish size. Also very nice!
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    The Aldi Corale baked beans are very sweet which I don't mind but I would imagine are not to everyone's taste.
    We like sweet beans and by a mile it is Lidls hands down that wins!! (Although changed recently so not as sweet but still best. Corale okay too though).
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Aldi's excellent Provive Shampoos and Conditioners look to have just gone on to a long term price reduction: from 75p down to 65p. In my Aldi, at least, this was on a yellow price label, suggesting it's not a short-term special offer.
    Aldi’s 35p stuff Shampoo/Conditioners in Coconut, Rasp and Teatree mint are their version of Alberto Balsam – and miles better. Feel good and thicker unlike p1ss thin Alberto Balsam. Aldi toiletries are outstanding. Male shower gel and body spray is superb. Especially the purple one. Other shower gels so cheap! Hand wash all good and cheap. Mouthwash/toothpaste all good. Lidl toiletries are decent enough too – maybe less variety than Aldi. The XXL Shower Gel in Lidls rom time to time is fab. The Cien stuff - 1L bottles! Usually stock up.

Moaned once or twice already but a travesty that Lidls changed their toujour baby wipes recently from 80 of the strongest things ever and best smelling (aloe vera) to 64 p1ss thin changed smell wipes. Utter poor. They had XXL old ones out in our local store a couple of weeks back so put about a dozen in the trolley! Had to go to Asda's ones who's are decent enough for now (also done that marketing trick of after 1-2 years of reduced 64 packs - went up to 80 packs again).

--
    We have a Lidl in our town and Aldi 20 mins up the road. In another town around 30 mins away they have one of the new supersized Lidl's with two levels etc. Anyone been in to one of them, and if there is more variety etc?
    PK! :money:
  • WishI'dReadSooner
    Options
    The Frangipanes in Aldi appear to have shrunk about 1" in diameter and have had a dollop of icing added. Why? They aren't so almondy tasting, the apricot is now just in the centre and they are a lot drier. The new ones are made by Holly Lane & are £1.09 - I think same price as the larger ones.
  • sarahj1986
    sarahj1986 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought some BBQ flavoured cooked chicken fillets from Aldi last week. Ended up throwing half away, found them very bland and dry. Not normally a ready made person but I got them as a quick lunch. Only the second time I didn't like something from Aldi
    :money::rotfl::T
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Parma ham from Lidl is very good, as is their own brand cream cheese.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • robrymond
    robrymond Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The price increases that were predicted on diary seem to have filtered into Aldi this week. Cheese up from £1.49 to £1.65, with the smaller ones also up around 15p. All yoghurts have had a price rise of around a few pence but the Crunch Corner 6 packs have gone from £1.49-£1.69.

Butter has also risen, spreadable butter is now £1.59 from £1.29.
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    We're big yoghurt eaters in this house.

Our favourite, the 1 kg Turkish yoghurt disappeared from its shelves sometime early Autumn last year never to return. Turned to the Greek one which is nice, but have to be careful when shopping as the packaging is very similar to the low fat version which is too watery.

Latest change is the 1 kg version disappearing to be replaced by 0.5 kg one, priced at 75p so x 2 £1.50. The 1 kg was previously £1.38 so nearly 10% price hike.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just visited Aldi.

Noticed the price of their spring onions - 72p, which the big 4 charge 48-55p 30-50% more expensive. Bunches look same size.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure