Buyer advised item has not been received

Options
BargainJunky
BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am an occasional seller on Ebay and on the 30th April I posted out an item and the buyer has just messaged to say that it has not been received. They have opened a case in Ebay.

This is the first time this has happened to me what do I do now. It was sent by 2nd class post and I have the proof of posting. I sent three parcels at the same time the other two have arrived.

I know I need to refund the buyer but do I suggest they double check with the sorting office as its unlikely it would have fitted through a letterbox. Once refunded I will claim for my loss from the Post Office I guess I need to send them the Ebay sale etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look on the proof of posting, can you see a reference number for the item, assuming it was a small parcel?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    Yes there is a number - four blocks of four numbers?
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    I have just put the code in and apparently they tried to deliver it on 2nd May but there was no one home. I guess it is at the sorting office with the potential to come back to me!

Do I just tell the buyer it is there?
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, tell the buyer what has happened. They need to get a move on to pick it up as eventually it will be returned to you. They probably threw the card out with junk mail, about 50% of customers swear blind they never got a card for some reason. - They do not need a card number to pick up the parcel.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • lilmiss1982
    lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It might also be worth in future uploading that number into ebay when you mark the parcel as dispatched on eBay.

If you had the buyer would have had the same information as you regarding the parcel and perhaps wouldn’t have needed to contact you.
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    It might also be worth in future uploading that number into ebay when you mark the parcel as dispatched on eBay.

If you had the buyer would have had the same information as you regarding the parcel and perhaps wouldn’t have needed to contact you.

Thank you I will do in future. I always upload signed for but did not realise that 'normal' parcels were tracked in some way. Lesson learnt!
  • twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    from memory cant you organise re delivery via RM website?
  • BargainJunky
    Options
    I have messaged the buyer with all of the information and hopefully they will go and collect it. If I get no response from them tomorrow I will rearrange delivery for them.
  • GAD1981
    GAD1981 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I've had this happen a lot over the last few months with people chancing their luck to have their money refunded. I always send it signed for now!
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have messaged the buyer with all of the information and hopefully they will go and collect it. If I get no response from them tomorrow I will rearrange delivery for them.

You can't rearrange delivery - it has to be the recipient.

The sorting office keeps items for 18 calendar days before returning to sender (I'm looking at a 'Something for you' card which I received today, or I wouldn't have known that!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure