What are my rights if network performance plummets?

Options
mrochester
mrochester Posts: 1,505 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
Hello

I joined Vodafone in Feb 2017 because of their strong network performance in my office, which is where I predominant use my mobile data. In the past week, my previously strong 4G signal has now started to become a weak 4G signal which drops to 3G frequently.

When I joined Vodafone, I could get 25mb down and about 20mb up. Running some speed tests this morning, I am now getting wildly different figures, from 8mb down to 0.5mb down. My upload speed is equally variable.

I have tried all the usual things such as restarting phone and resetting all network settings (iPhone 7 Plus) with no success. This leads me to believe it is a Vodafone network issue.

I have spoken to Vodafone and advised them of the issue. They have told me their network engineer team are on the case, but I am not wholly confident they are going to do anything.

If they don't, what are my rights as far as network performance dropping significantly? I joined Vodafone from Three precisely because of the network performance in the areas I am in.

Best wishes.

Michael.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Over the short term, probably just goodwill credit.

Have you tried switching off 4G until the issue resolves?
    25mb isn't that fast for 4G.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Mobile phone networks are at best mediocre in terms of engineering. It could be a local site issue, they might even have turned a site off.

If you don't get anywhere with Vodafone support, post a complaint on the dedicated Voda complaints thread on here.

I've found Three to be very helpful with engineering issues, no experience of Voda, except their coverage in my part of Yorkshire is lousy.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A network can never guarantee how many people are going to be using the network in any period of time in any area. These factors affect the performace your receive. Some networks offer a site status map so you can see whether your local cell sites are performing properly, It's worth checking these to see if there is a known fault.
    If a network is reconfiguring its cells and your performance suffers accordingly you may have a case to ask them to cancel your contract but this is decided on a case by case basis and networks vary on how receptive they are to this. It's more likely to apply if qa local cell site has been decommissioned.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mrochester wrote: »
    Hello

I joined Vodafone in Feb 2017 because of their strong network performance in my office, which is where I predominant use my mobile data. In the past week, my previously strong 4G signal has now started to become a weak 4G signal which drops to 3G frequently.

When I joined Vodafone, I could get 25mb down and about 20mb up. Running some speed tests this morning, I am now getting wildly different figures, from 8mb down to 0.5mb down. My upload speed is equally variable.

I have tried all the usual things such as restarting phone and resetting all network settings (iPhone 7 Plus) with no success. This leads me to believe it is a Vodafone network issue.

I have spoken to Vodafone and advised them of the issue. They have told me their network engineer team are on the case, but I am not wholly confident they are going to do anything.

If they don't, what are my rights as far as network performance dropping significantly? I joined Vodafone from Three precisely because of the network performance in the areas I am in.

Best wishes.

Michael.

Don't know about rights but I'd check their issues tracker at:

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/uk-coverage-map/index.htm

The iPhones have a app/folder installed for Vodafone at least, you could try taking out the sim and deleting the app/folder, shutting down and restarting with the sim back in.

Heng_Leng wrote: »
    25mb isn't that fast for 4G.

That's decent for normal 4G, Vodafone don't have a high speed 4G signal like EE (that I'm aware of).
  • pmduk
    Options
    Withe an iphone it is always worth turning off automatic network selection and making a manual network selection. Your phone may not be connecting to the best cell.
  • mrochester
    Options
    There is only one Vodafone network option during manual selection and I presume that's the one my phone is connecting too.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    Withe an iphone it is always worth turning off automatic network selection and making a manual network selection. Your phone may not be connecting to the best cell.

You can't manually choose which cell you connect to, you only choose the network and the handset will then log onto the most appropriate cell.

I've been using an iPhone since the original iPhone 2G and have never turned off auto network selection. Do you have a link to explain why manual network selection is better?
    ====
  • pmduk
    edited 3 July 2017 at 5:12PM
    Options
    d123 wrote: »

I've been using an iPhone since the original iPhone 2G and have never turned off auto network selection. Do you have a link to explain why manual network selection is better?

Just my experience working in technical support for a mobile network, it seems some handsets are poor at choosing the strongest cell, particularly when moving from one cell's coverage to another. It's particularly noticeable when returning from roaming which generated a large number of calls to us.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

If you're still experiencing difficulties, I'd recommend following the troubleshooting steps here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • mrochester
    Options
    So Monday morning in exactly the same location and I'm now getting 42mb down and 17mb up so something is (hopefully!) fixed now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure