PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    reading The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton and finding it surprisingly good and quite a page turner
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Syman wrote: »
    i read girl on the train, found the writing style difficult to get into. But the did enjoy it, once i got into it.

For those that have read "I let you go" check out her other book "I See You". Very good read.

Thanks.:) I've read I let you go, so I will put I see You on my Amazon wish list.
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Thanks.:) I've read I let you go, so I will put I see You on my Amazon wish list.

Me too! Looked for in the library on Saturday and will look again next week. If a "no show" I'll order it from Amazon.
    Reading The Lie by C L Taylor atm. Only just started it but it's had good reviews.
    Normal people worry me.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    greentiger wrote: »
    Still reading and enjoying Louis de Bernieres' "Birds Without Wings". I'll be at it forever - can't seem to get a settled reading rhythm going just now. :(

De-lurking to say this is one of my favourite books! Better than author's more famous bk, Captain Corelli's Madolin.

Perhaps I should add a couple of books?!

Cutting for Stone, by A Verghese. I loved this book. An emotional read set largely in a hospital in Ethiopia but following the main characters (medics) through life as love and life throws situations
    at them.

The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Although the premise of the storyline is ludicrous (a bit of time travel back to the 1700's!), the adventures and the dialogue are great. Not something I would have chosen myself but the second in the series was given to me when I was quite poorly.
    I read that one then bought the others! They are well researched, there's always plenty of action and intrigue, and the characters are all well developed. They are big books, at least 800 pages, sometimes more so I enjoyed them as a holiday read that I could get stuck into.

M
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Finally finished one - it seems the only way I can do this is by disciplining myself and reading it in one sitting!

goingdutchcover4.jpg

7/10, I picked up a few interesting cultural tips about it and laughed at some of the observations but its one of those "factual" books with a lot of padding (the actual content into less than 100 pages). I felt like going through the lines with a biro, to cross out the superflous words.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2016 at 9:01AM
    Options
    greentiger wrote: »
    Still reading and enjoying Louis de Bernieres' "Birds Without Wings". I'll be at it forever - can't seem to get a settled reading rhythm going just now. :(

It's one of my favourite books. Ivevread it three times and found something new each time.

I'm reading Where My Heart Used to Beat, by Sebastian Faulks. It took a while to get into, past the framing device, but I am totally hooked!

Shows much about a little-known part of WW2, that the army was literally and metaphorically bogged down after the Anzio landing.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    De-lurking to say this is one of my favourite books! Better than author's more famous bk, Captain Corelli's Madolin.

Perhaps I should add a couple of books?!

Cutting for Stone, by A Verghese. I loved this book. An emotional read set largely in a hospital in Ethiopia but following the main characters (medics) through life as love and life throws situations
    at them.
    M

Agree about each of them! :)

• Hobsons_Choice
    Options
    Me too! Looked for in the library on Saturday and will look again next week. If a "no show" I'll order it from Amazon.
    Reading The Lie by C L Taylor atm. Only just started it but it's had good reviews.

Finished The Lie yesterday.....difficult to put down, a real page turner.
    Four friends go on holiday to a retreat in Nepal, but all is not what it seems....one of the friends has to change her name in order to "disappear" on her return home.
    Five Go On An Adventure for grown-ups :D
    Will now look out for "The Accident", C.L. Taylor's first (of two) book and hope it's as good.
    Normal people worry me.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    The Lie has been televised I think.

• sugarbaby125
    Options
    I have finished reading 'The Good Earth' by Pearl S Buck and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gives you such a insight into rural Chinese culture.

In 1938 Pearl was the first American woman Author to win the Nobel Prize for Literature and this book is a towering example of just why she was so deserving of this prestigious award.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure