PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning bathroom tiles

Options

Comments

• loubie_lou
    loubie_lou Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not cleaned the tiles in the bathroom for a long now and the grout between them is starting to go a horrible nasty brown colour! Don't get me started on the bath seal either!!

Do any of you guys have any ideas of low cost or any (almost) effort free ways of cleaning tiles? I want to stay away from resealing the bath if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Loubie xx
    In debt no more!
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i used to mix up paste of bicarb/salt and lemon juice then using a toothbrush work it into grouting and leave then wash it down
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • peachespeaches
    Options
    thick bleach on a toothbrush works for me. If the area is large you can make up a spray bottle of diluted bleach (BE VERY CAREFUL THOUGH) and spray on, ventilate room and leave for an hour and wash off. But for really stubborn bits the bleach on a toothbrush never fails.
  • mocolo
    mocolo Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I second the bicarb but I mix it with some bleach, use a toothpaste to get some gunge on the grout.Leave a slong as you can I try (overnight) and them wash/shower off. Just make sure it doesn't get onto any PVC windows etccos it turns them brown

mocolo
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Test it first to make sure it doesn't scratch but mine comes up very well very easily with some cheap cream cleaner and the back of a kitchen sponge.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • alba37
    alba37 Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Options
    A steam cleaner always does a good job for me.... money saving and easy if you have one? I use a wallpaper steamer which has a brush adaptor.
  • shezza
    shezza Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I hope someone can help.

I have just had to replace 6 plain white tiles on my bathroom wall and these new tiles are making my old ones look very grubby. Does any one have any ideas what I can use to clean up my old tiles and the grout OS and without spending a fortune.

Thanks
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try one third each of Stardrops, white vinegar and water, in an old sprayer bottle. This is a good all purpose cleaner, not just for tiles.

I used it on a really badly splattered white tiled cooker splashback in my kitchen. I used one of those sponge scourers, it was that bad. It's come up a treat.

Now, one quick squirt and a wipe with a cloth when required is all that's needed.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • doraexplorer
    doraexplorer Posts: 931 Forumite
    Options
    toothpaste and a toothbrush on your tiile grout. thats what i use. works really well.

hth x
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!

• shezza
    shezza Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    Many thanks to you both for your ideas, I will give them a go. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business