PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning bathroom tiles

Comments

• converted
    converted Posts: 152 Forumite
    i read on here somewhere about using bicarbonate of soda mixed into a paste for using on cleaning grotty tile grouting. I tried this today mixing the soda with bleach. I have to say the results were spectacular. Shamefully my tiles had got really bad - had went all orangey - i put the mixture on with a tooth brush and left for about an hour and cleaned it off. i was totally amazed with the result, better than anything i have ever used before ( i have to admit that cleaning the bathroom is a job i detest) but i have loved looking at the results today.:j
  • janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    On " How clean is your house"- they used sugar soap on bathroom tiles having previously put the shower on to provide steam to the tiles. Seemed to work quite well - may try that tomorrow.
  • imataloss
    imataloss Posts: 283 Forumite
    converted wrote: »
    i read on here somewhere about using bicarbonate of soda mixed into a paste for using on cleaning grotty tile grouting. I tried this today mixing the soda with bleach. I have to say the results were spectacular. Shamefully my tiles had got really bad - had went all orangey - i put the mixture on with a tooth brush and left for about an hour and cleaned it off. i was totally amazed with the result, better than anything i have ever used before ( i have to admit that cleaning the bathroom is a job i detest) but i have loved looking at the results today.:j
    Thanks for this. I have previously used bicarb mixed with white vinegar to clean the grout but wasn`t very sucessful. Had to resort to neat bleach afterwards. Would not have thought about mixing them together.
    Will have to give it a try. Parts of grout are definately looking worse for wear either black or orangey.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Converted:hello:

Great tip! I'll add this to the main tile cleaning thread later to keep all the ideas together

My own bathroom tiles need a good going over so I will try your tip :). You have shamed me into it!

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• EssexGirl
    EssexGirl Posts: 977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanls for reminding me that I still have to de-scale the bathroom tiles... :mad: lol

Sounds like the perfect solution for my kitchen grouting though. But one question, is it safe to mix bleach and bicarb? I was always taught never to mix bleach with anything as it releases potentially dangerous fumes.
  • greenpixey
    greenpixey Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    EssexGirl wrote: »
    Thanls for reminding me that I still have to de-scale the bathroom tiles... :mad: lol

Sounds like the perfect solution for my kitchen grouting though. But one question, is it safe to mix bleach and bicarb? I was always taught never to mix bleach with anything as it releases potentially dangerous fumes.

Same here, I'd like to know as well if it is safe before I try :)
  • I just use neat bleach on an old toothbrush then wash off and buff the tiles.
  • Kay_Peel
    Kay_Peel Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    I bought some sugar soap to wash down my paintwork before decorating. It's meant to get rid of any grease as well as ground in stuff and marks. It was OK but nothing special. I used it on the tiles in the kitchen near the cooker. It was no better than washing up liquid and not as good as Stardrops.

I didn't bother using it on the bathroom tiles because I was disappointed with it. Was I doing it wrong ? I just followed the instructions on the packet.
  • converted
    converted Posts: 152 Forumite
    EssexGirl wrote: »

I had not heard that, all i can say is that i had no problems at all, it mixed well and no fumes or anything that i noticed. "they are still looking good:T"

cheers
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The orange is bodyfat :( .... I was kindly told that before the first time I had to pressure-wash the communal showers in a gym I used to work at. Gents showers were always far more rank than the ladies showers so definitely blame your DH.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport