PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cleaning bathroom tiles

Options

Comments

• scrooge2008
    scrooge2008 Posts: 1,369 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,

Could anyone tell me the best way of cleaning the tiles in my bathroom. The walls are fully tiled and looking smeared and some of the grouting is pink or brown. Not having too much success with conventional cleaning products.

Many thanks. :confused:
    I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I use a 1/2 solution of bleach & water and scrub with a toothbrush when they look a bit yuk. Leave to sit for 1/2 hour or so and then clean as usual & rinse off. HTH.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    I saw an ad for some domestos and in the ad they were squirting domestos along grouting! It seemed to be a new domestos product. Otherwise, using a paintbrush to paint thick bleach on the grout.

If there is 'bathroom steam grime' on the tiles like a 'film' on the shiny surface - there are several things you can do. What I did was to use a sponge with a pan scrubbing side - also I used one of the green scratchy pan cleaners - and value cream cleaner. Check on an out of the way place to make sure the pan cleaner doesn't scratch the tiles.

A plastic pan scrub, or the plastic 'nets' fruit comes in could also be used.

Once the tiles were shiny and clean, I wiped them down with a towel every time the shower was used. This stopped any build up. (This is, of course, if you can be ar*ed - I did it while the house was for sale, haven't done it since we moved out!)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi scrooge,

There was a recent thread on cleaning tiles that has some more tips that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • scrooge2008
    scrooge2008 Posts: 1,369 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great thanks. Will start on the bathroom now. Thanks for ideas.
    I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
  • abaxas
    abaxas Posts: 4,141 Forumite
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    I saw an ad for some domestos and in the ad they were squirting domestos along grouting! It seemed to be a new domestos product. Otherwise, using a paintbrush to paint thick bleach on the grout.

If there is 'bathroom steam grime' on the tiles like a 'film' on the shiny surface - there are several things you can do. What I did was to use a sponge with a pan scrubbing side - also I used one of the green scratchy pan cleaners - and value cream cleaner. Check on an out of the way place to make sure the pan cleaner doesn't scratch the tiles.

A plastic pan scrub, or the plastic 'nets' fruit comes in could also be used.

Once the tiles were shiny and clean, I wiped them down with a towel every time the shower was used. This stopped any build up. (This is, of course, if you can be ar*ed - I did it while the house was for sale, haven't done it since we moved out!)

It's called 'grot buster'.

We have just moved home, and used this extensivly in the old rented flat's bathroom. Works a charm, especially in the hard to get to places.
  • carriebradshaw
    carriebradshaw Posts: 1,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    not very os but flash spray with bleach does the trick,spray it on the grouting leave for 5 mins then rinse off,you might have to leave it on a bit longer if it's really grotty I suppose.Anyway this does bring the grout up like new :D
  • Juliav_2
    Juliav_2 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have tried so many products on the market to get my tiles in my bathroom shiny. After all this, they are still quite dull and unclean!!!

Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to bring a sparkle back to my tiles?

Thanks
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Julia,

We have a very recent thread on cleaning bathroom tiles so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • fudgecat
    fudgecat Posts: 289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stardrops, white vinegar and dilute with water in a spray bottle in a miracle cleaner and brings my bath (plastic), tiles and sink up a treat. Also taps, but they are chrome, so wouldn`t recommend with gold effect. I have used neat bleach painted on with a kids paintbrush for really disgusting grout. Dilute bleach sprayed on works for a mild orange discolouration on grout.
    Debt September 2020 BIG FAT ZERO!
    Now mortgage free, sort of retired, reducing and reusing and putting money away for grandchildren...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure