PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Sorry now.

That is my feeling anyway. I don't like it. Have never had to think about it, and don't want to have to be concerned about it for me or my family. I am actually quite upset about it all TBH. So unnecessary to put this kind of pressure on people in a First World Country isn't it?

/QUOTE]

Apologies, I based my answer on what you said previously that you were upset about it all, and certainly didn't mean that you shouldn't read and post. It was a genuine suggestion in the sense that there are certain things that I choose to ignore for my own reasons.
    I am totally in support of healthy debate, and was not dismissing your POV at all, but this thread is not for debating but for help and advice. I take what I want from it (such as using tinned veg. in soup - hadn't actually occurred to me as I used to grow most of my own veg) and ignore some of it that I might think is a bit ridiculous/not applicable to me.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Debate is about putting your side across for others to ponder. Debate isn't about pulling the opposing side to pieces.

Debate isn't 'having a go' at a group of people who live their lives in a way that you don't.

How did I do that pray tell? If the opposing side is good enough, they should hammer me down right now!

I don't mind either way.

My points were that that excessive prepping for Brexit (which is the premise of the thread let it be said) is futile, and so unnecessary really. Well it should never be necessary in this day and age.

Such a sad outcome now. We are all against each other. Not a good look anymore is it? And so unnecessary.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    As has been said before though, this is Old Style. This is where like minded people come together to share Old Style based experiences, coping strategies, knowledge and ideas.

Why come to Old Style to debate when it's been made clear that you're not interested in Old Style coping strategies? Would you go to Bankruptcy to talk about the best interest rated credit cards or to Increase Your Income to talk about a lottery win?

Please, have a thought for the people who have an interest in Old Style ideals and go and debate on Discussion Time. You're being selfish now. You're ruining this thread.
  • melanzana
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    Sorry now.

That is my feeling anyway. I don't like it. Have never had to think about it, and don't want to have to be concerned about it for me or my family. I am actually quite upset about it all TBH. So unnecessary to put this kind of pressure on people in a First World Country isn't it?

/QUOTE]

Apologies, I based my answer on what you said previously that you were upset about it all, and certainly didn't mean that you shouldn't read and post. It was a genuine suggestion in the sense that there are certain things that I choose to ignore for my own reasons.
    I am totally in support of healthy debate, and was not dismissing your POV at all, but this thread is not for debating but for help and advice. I take what I want from it (such as using tinned veg. in soup - hadn't actually occurred to me as I used to grow most of my own veg) and ignore some of it that I might think is a bit ridiculous/not applicable to me.

Thank you. I get that the thread is not for debate but for prepping.

But I cannot help myself when I think that people might have to do this now.

Appreciate your post enormously.

Will move on now. (maybe!)

You are the first poster to have a view outside the "Prepping for Brexit" theme.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    For what it's worth melanzana people have had to do this already. If you've got through life and you haven't had to prep well I'm pleased things worked out for you. For me? Not so. My cupboards have been stocked for years and have saved my families bacon on one than one occasion. Please, just let us talk about our thing eh?
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ... My points were that that excessive prepping for Brexit (which is the premise of the thread let it be said) is futile, and so unnecessary really. Well it should never be necessary in this day and age ...
    Hi

I don't think that there's much in the way of 'excessive prepping' on the thread, there's definitely some over-exuberance in some posts but what most are seeking is likely little more than an idea of what items may have a temporary shortage due to extending the supply lead-time by a few hours or in the worst case, a few days and the knock-on effect of doing so as it always takes a good multiple of the timescale for which an issue such as a national shortage lasts for things to return to normal ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Pennydropped
    Pennydropped Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2018 at 10:03PM
    Options
    I'm going to avoid the political discussions on here, but I will say that I prep for my own reasons. I have children with disabilities and prep every year prior to winter anyway, as they have particular food issues as well as high anxiety, so if there is inclement weather or someone is ill, getting to the supermarket is sometimes not an option. Yes, supermarkets deliver, but sometimes what we might need is not worth the £40 or more minimum that supermarkets require for delivery. Plus I prefer to buy some items on offer and stock up to keep overall costs down.

I've started stocking up on nonperishables, OTC meds, and tinned goods, just by adding extra to each shop. If nothing else, if we have an unexpected expense, having a well stocked cupboard can be a God-send as you can save money on a weekly shop and use that money towards the unexpected expense. If prices are higher after Brexit, a well stock cupboard can help keep the food bill a bit lower as well.

While I understand that the ins and outs of Brexit are complicated and worrying, I think all the political talk has derailed any discussion of what actual prepping people are doing or may need to do.
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • melanzana
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

I don't think that there's much in the way of 'excessive prepping' on the thread, there's definitely some over-exuberance in some posts but what most are seeking is likely little more than an idea of what items may have a temporary shortage due to extending the supply lead-time by a few hours or in the worst case, a few days and the knock-on effect of doing so as it always takes a good multiple of the timescale for which an issue such as a national shortage lasts for things to return to normal ...

HTH
    Z

Why should our country's citizens have to worry about this at all?

There should be no supply chain drops ever.

I bet Theresa May will not have to stock up anything. As usual it is the ordinary person who will worry. Rees Mogg will be in Dublin, Boris will be fine.

Some UK people seem to thrive on penury and kow towing to our betters.

I am sorry if I may have offended anyone, and perhaps this is not the thread to say it. But honestly...... where is the common sense gone now?
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

HTH
    Z

I have often thought that the very meaning of the word "prepping" takes on different connotations . For some it means full-on Armageddon contingencies with bunkers and generators and 2 years worth of food and water, for others it can be as simple as noticing that they are getting a bit short of their favourite tea and it's on offer so they buy 2. Most people are in the middle and veer from one end to the other at any given time according to their own experiences/fears/finances. I don't really consider myself a "prepper" but I would say I am "prepared" - for certain things that I can see "might" happen - but I have also lived long enough to know that there is always something that will rear its head and bite you unawares.
    But being prepared has been going on for centuries (it's even mentioned in the Bible (7 wise virgins/7 foolish virgins etc.?) so to me it is not about doomsday (not much I can do about that if it's going to happen) but just common-sense thinking. For example I know that it is 138 days to Xmas (ok I googled it) so I will start to think about making some cards/buying a few presents to spread the cost. That's "prepping" in one sense, it just seems to me that the word has taken on some sort of darker meaning in some circles.
  • melanzana
    Options
    Can I ask what do preppers do with their stash after a couple of years when it is no longer potable or edible (apart from cans and tins that last forever)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback