PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well said Dreaming, we each must make our own choices in life and stand by our own identities because those choices make us the person we are. I don't think any of the preppers could be described as milky and nondescript as personalities we're all of us on the raucous end of bolshie and not afraid to speak our mind if the occasion necessitates it be that way. Those who judge and comment from experience I'll gladly listen to and take on board any advice given, those who speak from other reasons or for other reasons, yes I couldn't care less either xxx.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 August 2018 at 2:56PM
    Options
    Mrs LW. I'm not downsizing either.....I regard it as rightsizing. :rotfl: The square footage will be about the same as my current home but the layout is much better, and it has more potential to be future proofed for when I'm old and decrepit. :rotfl: My present house is a lovely Victorian terrace, but there are steps everywhere and a really steep staircase - fine now but not really suitable for aging in situ. So yes another example of my tendency to forward plan, thinking ahead to my future needs as I get older.

At the moment it looks like Miss Havershams house, gloomy and full of cobwebs but with a bit of TLC and maybe knocking out a couple of walls, it will be a lovely light and spacious home. One of my first jobs will be to remove a line of overgrown conifers that are blocking out light.

I would love a wood burner, I just need to get the fireplace assessed and see what's required. If it costs too much then I will just leave it as an open Fireplace and use as it is.

I think it was Money who mentioned that she has noticed more tourists in her area. I think this might be an area where Brexit has unexpected repercussions, although I also think that "staycations" are becoming more popular again anyway, at least for mini breaks.

As the old saying goes....."It's an ill wind that blows no good". I think once the dust has settled Brexit could provide opportunity.

I think it is entirely possible that Brexit could be a force for regeneration of British industry, farming and tourism. I'm sure there will be opportunities for business for those that spot them. There will be money to be made.

Britain really does Have Talent. And Brexit could be a catalyst for good if we harness that talent. Instead of relying so heavily on imports as we have done for the last few decades because they were cheaper etc we might actually find that it makes sense to start growing more food and actually making goods again. Wouldn't that be nice, if we could bring some manufacturing back to the U.K. instead of outsourcing it all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If we can't for any reason have a wood burner stove installed in the open fireplace we're thinking we will try for a PARKRAY with glass closeable doors that we could bank up and leave 'in' overnight. We'd be able to burn coal on that too either way we'll have some sort of fire to gladden our lives when it's cold outside.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Oh right.....I'll look into that, didn't realise there was a half way house solution. Thanks for the tip,
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Doesn't it come down to the condition of the flue? If you had lit a fire in our fireplace before we had the stove, smoke came out of the skirting board in the room upstairs:eek:

We had a stainless steel liner fitted and then we were able to have the stove, but without the liner we couldn't have had an open fire either. Although apparently a flame effect gas fire would have been OK despite the leaky flue. Sounded very dodgy to me
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have started stocking up on carrots, i was told a donkey sanctuary is struggling to buy the quantity they need right now, fresh. lol

Anyone tried donkey meat?
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    Doesn't it come down to the condition of the flue? If you had lit a fire in our fireplace before we had the stove, smoke came out of the skirting board in the room upstairs:eek:

We had a stainless steel liner fitted and then we were able to have the stove, but without the liner we couldn't have had an open fire either. Although apparently a flame effect gas fire would have been OK despite the leaky flue. Sounded very dodgy to me

Yes, like I say the chimney needs checking out. Apparently it's not been lit for years, so who knows what state it's in.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that when I viewed the house it looked like Miss Haversham had lived there.

I took my son back for a second viewing.....the vendor had made some attempt to clean it up but even so he was appalled. :rotfl:

It will be fine......
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you call in a woodstove fitting supplier they will come and check the chimney inside and outside to see if it's fit to have a stove fitted and if it isn't they will have experts who can fix it so that it is. We have a very tight bend in the chimney but they managed to get the liner in and the stove runs very efficiently. They will give you information about the size stove you need for the size of your room too and save you money by that, they will also probably have an 'in house' chimney sweep and information on log suppliers so very useful all round. Most suppliers have stove showrooms so you can actually go and see the models that come up to the spec they give you, all helps make the right decision on what to buy.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This link may help, make sure the fitter is hetas registered, if anything does go wrong, then insurance will need any stove registered, a certificate for sweeping is also a very good idea x

http://www.hetas.co.uk/find-installer/
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We went to see the Clearview showroom in Ludlow when we were on a weekend break out that way. They've taken over a big old Georgian house and there are stoves in every room and the whole house is decorated in English Country shabby chic style. We really enjoyed looking round and learned a lot about running our stove. It has always given me a nice warm feeling inside as well as outside to know that we can have heat even if there are power cuts. Note to self - order more logs. We always have two years worth in stock at the beginning of winter so that by the time we burn it, it is at least two years old and well seasoned. But last winter went on soooo long, though it seems strange to think it now, that we used up some of our reserve
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback