Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• GingerFurball_2
    Options
    Strapped wrote: »
    Please could anyone tell me which banks offer internet banking where you don't need to have a mobile phone? I ask because I live in a remote area with no reception! So for me, the best bank account is one I can actually use! (I hate telephone banking because I always seem to get the moron who can't type in 3 pieces of data to set up a new SO correctly).

Lloyds/Bank of Scotland/Halifax/TSB don't require a mobile, but you will need some sort of working phone to set up new payments.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • White_Rose_Tight_ThaKnows
    White_Rose_Tight_ThaKnows Posts: 180 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2014 at 10:42PM
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    What would be the purpose of the 2nd Halifax current account if all you want to do is switch it to Santander?
    My first active current account is a Halifax Reward Account, it would i) keep the £5 per month bonus and ii) it may sound daft but in all the upheaval ahead of moving my money, I'd like to keep my original account as a sure fire base of wage going in, board and NHS PPC going out and use of debit card. I think of it as a "comfort account" or safety net.

It may sound odd, but two days ago I had Halifax Reward account and Online Saver - in my mind things this new approach to juggling money is moving quite quickly!
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    knack92 wrote: »
    Cashback maybe?

OK, good reason for opening an account. But why put £20K into it?
    My first active current account is a Halifax Reward Account, it would i) keep the £5 per month bonus
    Good move to keep the Halifax Reward, and good move to try and get some cashback for opening a 123. If it's not for the cashback, you can just apply for the 123 directly.
  • innovate wrote: »
    OK, good reason for opening an account. But why put £20K into it?

Good move to keep the Halifax Reward, and good move to try and get some cashback for opening a 123. If it's not for the cashback, you can just apply for the 123 directly.
    The cashback is also a driving factor - to me the brief description on topcashback seemed to emphasise the switching aspect, I may be wrong in that though.
    New Switching Customer - Approved Santander 123 Current Account
    Cashback will only be issued once your account is successfully opened and you have switched from your existing bank using the Santander Account Transfer Service.
  • knack92
    knack92 Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The cashback is also a driving factor - to me the brief description on topcashback seemed to emphasise the switching aspect, I may be wrong in that though.

A relative applied on Saturday for a 123 account with switch through my top cashback account and it has tracked fine. It certainly says that a switch is required for the cashback though I do remember reading somewhere that someone managed to get cashback without switching.
  • old_grouser
    old_grouser Posts: 176 Forumite
    edited 23 May 2014 at 3:58PM
    Options
    SAJETS (back in April)
    You can use direct debits to charities to satisfy the conditions of at least some bank accounts which you are really using as savings vehicles. I did this with LLoyd's Vantage accounts, and I believe my son did it with Halifax. This may not be quite 'MSE' but at one period a few years back I set up an account which I funded one day a month, whose purpose was solely to pay its profits to charity via the DDs which that bank insisted I set up.
    Good hunting!
    O G :cool: Somewhere on the South Downs
    3.29kWp S by E
    Greetings to Druids everywhere
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    am thinking of switching to new M&S account. Question i have is is there a minimum no of DD/SO that need to be transferred from old account? cant see anything mentioned in MSE best bank accounts page.

ta
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 May 2014 at 4:49PM
    Options
    xyz123 wrote: »
    am thinking of switching to new M&S account. Question i have is is there a minimum no of DD/SO that need to be transferred from old account? cant see anything mentioned in MSE best bank accounts page.

ta

He reason you wouldn't see that account on the MSE best bank accounts page is that is is anything but a best bank account. The only reason you would go for it is if you are after the voucher. There is a separate thread about this on this board?

Edit: sorry for my spelling, it is terrible and embarrassing. All courtesy of my iPad, and my bad eyesight
  • xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    He reason you wouldn't see that account on the MSE best bank accounts page is that is is anything but a best bank account. The only reason you would go for it is if you are after the voucher. There is a separate thread about this on this board?

will try to find the board. first time i tried search results didnt find it but then i was using it on mobile!

to be honest yes i am only after the voucher and will transfer from M&S to nationwide after couple of months to get £5 per month!
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's Halifax with the £5 a month, not Nationwide.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback