Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• koru
    koru Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    robertoegg wrote: »
    I've got a Nationwide Flex Plus. We've just booked a holiday directly with a chalet in Italy. We have consequently booked flights. Now the chalet has come back to us and stated they have got the dates wrong.

Nationwide can provide no help for this situation and have told me I need to claim from the individual in Italy.

Is this standard from a Travel Insurance policy?
    I can't remember ever seeing a policy that would reimburse you for accommodation refusing to honour the dates they agreed. If you can prove the dates you probably have a right to sue the chalet for compensation, but as this would be in a different country and language it would be very difficult. Probably best to point out that their mistake means you have incurred a loss on rebooking the flights and see if they can be shamed into compensating you.
    koru
  • Joolz14
    Options
    Hi
    My son and his friend both bought backpacker insurance before going on their gap year. They both came off the back of a moped in Bali back in June. His friend 's claim was dealt with while he has been passed from person to person, department to department each asking for something different or changing the goal posts of what is required. That was back in June 2018 - it is now November 2018!! He has complained but we are still waiting to hear back.

Although we found the recommendation on MSE - I would definitely NOT recommend Allianz if you want reliable and consistent service - which, let's face it, is exactly what you want from insurance!
    J :(
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Joolz14 wrote: »
    Hi
    My son and his friend both bought backpacker insurance before going on their gap year. They both came off the back of a moped in Bali back in June. His friend 's claim was dealt with while he has been passed from person to person, department to department each asking for something different or changing the goal posts of what is required. That was back in June 2018 - it is now November 2018!! He has complained but we are still waiting to hear back.

Although we found the recommendation on MSE - I would definitely NOT recommend Allianz if you want reliable and consistent service - which, let's face it, is exactly what you want from insurance!
    J :(

Who was his friend's policy with?
    (A recommendation for good service is as helpful as a warning about poor service :) )
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Volleyer
    Options
    I've just booked a single trip insurance to USA for me (62) and my wife (who is 68). Now you would have thought that putting both on one policy as a "Couple" would be cheaper. Well we booked with InsuredTotravel (which seem competitive) but saved around £40 by booking as two singles instead of a couple.
    Not sure if this works with other insurance companies but my guess is that they take the most expensive traveller (over 65) and then double the fee when its a couple.
    Thought this might be useful info for others.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Volleyer wrote: »
    I've just booked a single trip insurance to USA for me (62) and my wife (who is 68). Now you would have thought that putting both on one policy as a "Couple" would be cheaper. Well we booked with InsuredTotravel (which seem competitive) but saved around £40 by booking as two singles instead of a couple.
    Not sure if this works with other insurance companies but my guess is that they take the most expensive traveller (over 65) and then double the fee when its a couple.
    Thought this might be useful info for others.
    Interesting! Just check the cover for cancellation and curtailment. If one of you could not travel or had to go home early, the other would want to cancel or curtail as well. Does it cover this, or would it only cover this if you were both on the same policy? If the latter, that might explain the difference in price.
    koru
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    pantaiema wrote: »
    I just happen to know that Nationwide is not issue a hardcopy of travel insurance anymore. They just confirm on the phone when you call them. There is not any email confirmation either.

What happen to the person who need to apply for a tourist visa the travel to a science visa. The embassy will need a confirmation in writing that you have a travel I insurance in place. So for this sort of people how could they prove that they have travel insurance in place?

If you are a British citizen and need to be hospitalised some hospitals will need evidence that you have a travel insurance in place before they allow you to be treated. You have no evidence to prove that

Could they legally do that they just inform people when you ask and they do not provide any written or email confirmation? What happen if you are about to make a claim and they say you are not insured?

Took me approximately 10 seconds to find a PDF copy off their website - either print this off or keep a copy in an accessible place.
  • pantaiema
    Options
    Took me approximately 10 seconds to find a PDF copy off their website - either print this off or keep a copy in an accessible place.

Well. Everyone could download the Policy booklet. But what about confirmation to show the third parties such as hospitals that you are covered?

What about people who need evidence of travel insurance arrangement if they apply for Visa. Could they ask the embassy to call the travel insurance hotline number?

Also I wonder how many people would buy insurance when you do not get written confirmation that you are covered?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    pantaiema wrote: »
    Well. Everyone could download the Policy booklet. But what about confirmation to show the third parties such as hospitals that you are covered?

What about people who need evidence of travel insurance arrangement if they apply for Visa. Could they ask the embassy to call the travel insurance hotline number?

Also I wonder how many people would buy insurance when you do not get written confirmation that you are covered?

I have an annual policy with a high street bank - I have never needed to ask for written confirmation of cover.
    My policy number is the sort code and account number.
    I take your point re visas etc and I know mine would give written confirmation of cover as friends asked for this prior to a trip to Cuba.
  • antsmusic1
    Options
    Afternoon MSErs!
    Hubby and I are off round the world for 5 weeks in Feb.
    I can’t find a travel insurer who will insure us for all ours flights - all the big ones will only insure flights to/from the UK.
    Can anyone help with this? I’m at my wits end trying to find one!
    Thank you
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,308 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    antsmusic1 wrote: »
    Afternoon MSErs!
    Hubby and I are off round the world for 5 weeks in Feb.
    I can’t find a travel insurer who will insure us for all ours flights - all the big ones will only insure flights to/from the UK.
    Can anyone help with this? I’m at my wits end trying to find one!
    Thank you

Would back packers insurance work?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport