PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    There WILL be a house somewhere that will be what we want and there WILL be a buyer for ours, hopefully they will come at optimum time into our lives and we'll move. Until then it will be on with the searching and on with the waiting won't it? I'd rather it be like that than make a mistake or find out about the plot being sold the week after we'd moved into somewhere new. It will happen in it's own time and so will yours Kittie, onwards and upwards as they say!!!

The world is a very uncertain place these days with rather unsavoury people in positions of power who seem to have no other vision in sight than maintaining their own standings in which ever hierarchy they are at the top of at whatever cost to anyone else. All we can do is prepare in our own individual ways for what we guess may happen and hope it doesn't!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They tried to deliver my Geiger Counter today.

It'll be at my local post office from tomorrow. :cool:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can I ask BOB what use your Geiger counter will be? it will give you readings but will you be able to do anything about what it tells you that will help keep you safe?
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 April 2018 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Can I ask BOB what use your Geiger counter will be? it will give you readings but will you be able to do anything about what it tells you that will help keep you safe?
    Maybe BOB was joking. But if not, we expect a pic as is his wont :D
    Actually I think a Geiger counter would be a useful bit of kit. Remember Chernobyl? I was out walking in the rain when the radiation passed over us. If I had known then what I know now, I'd have least have kept indoors for a while. In fact I did seriously think about it after Fukushima. Yes if we got a direct hit all the Geiger counters in the world wouldn't help. But if there was to be increased but not immediately lethal radiation, then knowing the levels would help. Because there are lifestyle measures as well as medication which will help your body cope.
    It's not for everyone of course but I'm one of those who prefers to know what's going on. It means I can prepare myself either way.;)
    Edit - imo this is no more/less silly than leaving your home with a bug out bag every day and a host of other precautionary measures posters here have taken. Not all of these are for me but I wouldn't criticise. 'Horses for courses' and all that.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    As part of working on my house to make everything more accessible for me now I've retired, and also integrating some of my mum's stuff, I've been exploring my medical/first aid supplies - and I use the word "exploring" advisedly :o

Everything is everywhere! I still haven't put away, but I've finished sorting, which is a relief, and found a load of stuff I didn't know I had, or had forgotten where I stored it. I have 2 or 3 24 litre plastic crates :o:o:o which seems a lot, but an astonishing amount is painkiller storage, boxes I bought when I was really struggling, but I stopped struggling before I'd used half of them :j

What do people generally store, for first aid/medical stuff? I have a lot of wound dressings - I had a cyst a few years ago which absolutely converted me to having *loads* of them. Pain relief, hay fever relief, anti-inflammatories, OTC sleeping aids, bandages, disinfectant, loads and loads of cough sweets (ug, I remember needing them so badly, and out of date have a nasty texture, I might start using these as breath fresheners :rotfl:) ... does anybody have anything far out, that I could use Amazon vouchers for? This has all piqued my interest!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pineapple
    edited 12 April 2018 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    does anybody have anything far out, that I could use Amazon vouchers for? This has all piqued my interest!
    I had an eye injury recently and the pharmacist gave me a proprietary eye wash - which she admitted was just witch hazel! I don't know the dilution so careful with that, but I think witch hazel is useful anyway. Plus I have some medical grade manuka honey ointment and betadine/iodine. Not sure but I think I got them on Amazon. Plus I think I have some burns ointment somewhere - check out Aloe Vera for burns.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    If I had spare money the one thing I would love is night sight binoculars. Very handy!
  • pineapple
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    If I had spare money the one thing I would love is night sight binoculars. Very handy!
    Admit it - you just want to perv on the neighbours! :D
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    I had an eye injury recently and the pharmacist gave me a proprietary eye wash - which she admitted was just witch hazel! I don't know the dilution so careful with that, but I think witch hazel is useful anyway. Plus I have some medical grade manuka honey ointment and betadine/iodine. Not sure but I think I got them on Amazon. Plus I think I have some burns ointment somewhere - check out Aloe Vera for burns.
    Thanks for that pineapple - I have witchhazel and iodine, I had to order both of them in from a local branch of Lloyds pharmacy. Don't have any medical grade manuka honey, just ordinary honey in the storecupboard. I'm going back to organic honey when my stock has gone down, so that might be good enough. I have burns dressing, though not ointment - I do have a lot of aloe vera *plants* though :o . I'll research the commercial ointments. Probably need lots more dressings, actually.
    mardatha wrote: »
    Ooh! Now then! You've got me thinking there. I agree, in bad times, they could be really interesting :)
    pineapple wrote: »
    Admit it - you just want to perv on the neighbours! :D
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I don't think Mar has any neighbours close enough to perve on :D I do, mind you :D

I have a Russian-made monocular, bought at an astronomy fair years ago in Kensington Town Hall, once used for bird watching. I'm sure it doesn't have night sight on it, but it might be fun having a play with it, in any case :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • pineapple
    Options
    I could do with night sight if only to keep an eye on the dog. Late night I let him off lead on the village green. He's blind and it doesn't matter to him if it's dark. He has everything mapped out in his doggy brain and he is off like a flippin greyhound ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure