Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edwink
    • By edwink 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    • 2,110Posts
    • 13,846Thanks
    edwink
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day
    • 7th Jul 15, 5:07 PM
    Keeping hens and ducks chat!! Hens & ducks names & how many eggs do you get per day 7th Jul 15 at 5:07 PM
    As a hen and cockerel keeper myself I thought it would be interesting to ask what you name your hens and cockerels. And also ask how many eggs you are getting every day!! I know the egg laying changes when hens moult but just thought it would be interesting to see how many eggs you get. I have hens that are named Bluebell (typical name I think!!!), Muesli, cornflake and scarecrow plus some others. I am getting around 4 to 6 eggs a day at the moment!! Had a delicious egg salad for supper last night OMG it was lovely!!!

Edwink

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by edwink; 02-02-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 107
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 19th Mar 19, 7:16 AM
    • 3,844 Posts
    • 35,498 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Edwink I am a lurker who has been loving all the stories of poultry keeping, I am so sad reading your post, cannot imagine how awful you both feel. Best wishes to you and the poor traumatised ducks.
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 19th Mar 19, 7:45 AM
    • 17,064 Posts
    • 283,705 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    Edwink I am so sorry to read your post this morning

Lots of love to you xx
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator do not read every post. If you spot an iffy post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Aims for 2019 - Savings up to 8000 - 4010/8000. Lose 50lb - 0/50
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 19th Mar 19, 8:29 AM
    • 8,611 Posts
    • 43,798 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Oh edwink I am SO very sorry You must be utterly devastated. It is absolutely awful to see them so traumatised, and after you've known them for so very long too. You're doing all the right things for the remaining ones of course, and I can only offer my own recent experience as hope that they will pull through and get over their trauma.

In the meantime, have a hug (((((((((((())))))))))))))))) and look after yourselves today as well as the ducks xxxx
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 153.58 in 2019
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 19th Mar 19, 9:29 AM
    • 31,075 Posts
    • 182,594 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Edwink I am a lurker who has been loving all the stories of poultry keeping, I am so sad reading your post, cannot imagine how awful you both feel. Best wishes to you and the poor traumatised ducks.
    MM
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    I'm a lurker too, I don't have my own but this thread has been a wonderful eye-opener. Edwink, I'm so very sorry to read your news, I hope they all made it through the night, and might start to drink and maybe eat a little bit today.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Mar 19, 1:53 PM
    • 40,640 Posts
    • 150,409 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Have just read your post, Edwink, and am so sad for you and for your girls and boy.
    It's so different when you've had them such a long time as they really become part of your family, and part of you.

(((((((((((((Edwink)))))))))))))))

Nothing I could say will help, but just try and hold onto the fact that some of your girls previously died a natural death of old age, in peace and comfort, and they wouldn't have had that if you hadn't rehomed them.
    And the ones that died yesterday had several years doing what hens should be doing, scratching and pecking and dust bathing and warming their bones in the sun. They wouldn't have had that without you.

And now you are there for the ducks, and I'm sure they will recover with your nursing them and loving them.

More big hugs for you.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 19th Mar 19, 7:57 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 2,616 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I am so sorry to read your post Edwink, I loved reading about your flock and particularly the little man.
    • edwink
    • By edwink 19th Mar 19, 8:42 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 13,846 Thanks
    edwink
    I can't thank you all enough everyone. I have been overwhelmed with all the messages and support this evening with tears streaming down my face, I'm heartbroken. Thank you again.

Sadly at 6am this morning our big white Aylesbury duck passed away too. He was so traumatised and badly injured too, I was sitting with him with his head on my lap. Hubby and I stayed up all night with them to give them any help they needed and reassurance they were safe with us. So that's my Mr and Mrs Aylesbury ducks gone now, my very first 2 ever ducks. The Cayuga with a broken neck or perhaps dislocated discs is in a bad way and continually showing signs of extreme fear and traumatisation. He is eating a little along with some water with added tonic in it which is a good sign albeit small . The little tiny Cayuga although can't walk very well at all now has enjoyed two baths today, swimming up and down and using both her webbed feet so it looks as though it is a weight bearing problem although she is only a lightweight herself. She is shiny and clean now I'm pleased too day as was covered from head to foot in mud when I found her.

We have had the 3 of them out today from their comfy boxes around the kitchen and sat with them loads of times to help reassure them that they are safe with us. We are very concerned for the Cayuga drake (Twister) as his signs of the traumatic experience appear to be affecting him in a very uncomfortable way and manner and the poor little man just curls tightly in a ball and just stays there unless I sit with him and get him to put his head on my lap slowly, but he just stares and rarely blinks. He is really so very traumatised, bless his heart.

Thank you so much everyone you have all made my day. Its my birthday today and what a horrible day it has been, but your messages have warmed my heart a little

Edwink
    3.36 kWp system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solar Edge Inverter
    6 ducks ~ 4 hens ~ 1 handsome Cockerel
    2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing Hybrid Toyota Auris car

Hens & ducks chat thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,813Posts Today

8,691Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Should the contactless payment limit be increased? If so, to what? Pls vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/xpGaKlS5Mr

• No its completely wrong. Your contract is with the shop that you bought it off. The staff at o2 should be better? https://t.co/GXVXHvPkZv

• PLS SHARE - WARNING DO NOT USE VIAGOGO. A group of MPs have today echo'd my own warning about the secondary tick? https://t.co/ZUvKRq3MeS

• Follow Martin