PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Hi everyone, it's quiet here at the moment, hope everyone is well.
    Making do... Using up some seeds left from last year
    Mend... A refresh and refurb of curtains for a lady I know in sheltered housing. (I really feel for her, she's very houseproud but can't do anything for herself any more, the staff leave things a mess, she's stuck sitting in a messy room, and it gets her down a great deal. It would get me down too)
    Minimise... Dropped a few bits at the charity shop and posted something else on gumtree (yet to sell, so not actually minimised that yet!!)
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Aw TTB - what a shame for that lady. Must be so depressing for her. Well done you for altering her curtains.
    All OK this end, just busy with RL. DH not very hungry last night & just wanted pasta. I was going to open a jar of sauce but a look in the fridge provided leftover tinned tomatoes, about 2 good tablespoons of beef casserole and half a dozen mushrooms made into a sauce with a squirt of tomato paste - result!
    Need to look in the veg box today to check what needs using. I've also got some stuff I need to post on Freecycle.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Naughty me :naughty: last posted 4th Feb :eek:

Make Do & Minimise: Food from freezer & stores

Minimised: DSis for a couple of weeks to DB :rotfl: & 4 bags of ‘stuff’ to CS & several trips to Tip

Mend: Button sewn on DSis’s trousers, socks darned

I will try & post more than once a month :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • silvasava
    Options
    You're forgiven MrsS! The thread has been quiet these last few weeks - just RL getting in everyone's way.
    Managed to get rid of a surplus door on Freecycle and a couple of old mobile phones to someone who'd posted a wanted.
    DS1 and I did a sausage and mash lunch at the club for the work party - dreadful weather so not as many extra volunteers so plenty of leftovers to feed DS1, me and DH that night and some stock for the freezer.
    Can't think of any mends at the moment though.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • 2Scratters
    2Scratters Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Peeps,
    still about getting things in order for when I retire. I'm not thinking about it too its just going to happen...
    this might be a mend - picked up new ironing board cover from CS ironing board looks new.
    The organisation of stuff to go is starting.
    Also planning the repairs and decorating that needs to be started then completed will be work in progress as it wont be quick.
    make do- is the constant soup shelf in the freezer. Clearly not eating the veg as one should...
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mend: 2 socks, 1 wintercoat, 1 pillow case, 2 pairs of dd's tights.

Make do: dd1's school backpack had ripped beyond repair. My parents had a good quality plain black one that did not quite meet their needs, and gave it to us. We spruced it up with badges and iron-on patches.

Minimise: still eating down the freezer. Yesterday I made pumpkin soup from (1 sandwich baggy full) last year's roasted pumpkin. Today I had a scone from when I went to York in February. I also made a small pot of rhubarb compote from last year's rhubarb. This year's rhubarb is not yet ready to harvest; one more week, I think.

Dd1 is having two friends over tomorrow; we will go to the library in the morning to pick up a film for them to watch.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Make Do & Mend: A 40year old G-Plan table being restored to its former glory (by DH)

Minimise: Food stores from freezer & food cupboards, ME - still losing the odd ounce or two :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • silvasava
    Options
    Oooh MrsSD - love the sound of the Gplan table! Any chance of a piccy when it's finished.
    DGD rang me last night to shorten some trousers she'd bought ( she's vertically challenged - unlike her Gran!) She needs them for this afternoon and was supposed to be here at 8am - hav'n't seen her yet so she'd better get a wriggle on or wear something else.
    Minimised two more old mobile phones and a surplus door - just got some jam jars and an electric kettle to post on Freecycle.
    Making do......hmm not much at the mo but do need to make some jam from freezer stocks to make room for this year's crops ;)
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Minimise: husband has decided to get rid of his company labelled T-shirts :)

Mend: 2 wash mitts that had small holes at the seams.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make do - was making chicken curry but the chicken thighs (bone-in) weren't prepped, half a bag of potatoes needed using (but OH doesn't like potatoes except if roasted) and we'd run out of onions. So in a fit of improvisation, the thighs were oven roasted whilst the sauce was prepped and cooked (with extra garlic and a tsp of fenugreek) - once the thighs were cooked, I made bombay potatoes (oven-cooked) whilst I diced the thighs into the sauce and cooked the rice. OH said it was the nicest curry he'd had (Result!)
    Minimise - not much apart from a drawer-full of pens tested and the non-working ones chucked.
    Mend - one rattan bread-basket (which I nicked for sewing stuff) was fraying round the top edge as the rattan/willow had cracked. The strands are now wrapped and secured to the main body with kingfisher-blue thread so now I have a basket with a nod to Japanese sashiko-esque styling which doesn't catch on my sleeves when I use it.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family