PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2019

Options

Comments

• 2Scratters
    2Scratters Posts: 944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Well continuing to MMM.
    Routed out my handbags to find another suitable for work after bravely throwing out the current one. Tried one, but not big enough, so going to sell it if I can. Going to use the one I use daily instead and make use of another one. I consider that a double whammy.
    Found another item for repair. That will wait for now, I need to minimise me a bit that then gives me a new item to wear.
    Still working on minimising as I am approaching retirement. 2 more pay days!! (not counting the weeks or shifts!) So looking forward to this new life.
    Anything is better than nothing-check back and see On the declutter journey 2023 with Mrs SD Tilly Tidy 2023 YTD 14.98
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make Do & Minimise: Freezer, fridge & cupboard stores
    Mend: various items of clothing
    Minimise: Paint & loft boards for under stairs cupboard refurbishment :T

Will try to do better as the decluttering is a bit slow at the moment :o

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Make do: Sleeping bag with broken zip is now a light spare quilt after removal of the zip and sewing up the gap.

Mend: My overlocker is back from the repair shop if that helps

Minimise: this weekends catering brought to you almost entirely from the freezer (HM veggie burger mix, burger rolls, potato wedges for tonight, lamb for curry tomorrow)
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    hi
    make do - altered old tablecloth to suit smaller table
    mend - made placemats and cloth serviettes from leftover fabric, 2 of each, it was a very large tablecloth!
    minimise - posted a couple of bits on freecycle... magazines, cooker hood filters and long hose for hoover as i have no stairs here (only lived here 3 years!!).
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,943 Forumite
    Options
    Make Do & Minimise: cooking from freezer & stores
    Mend: Darned a pair of DH’s socks - really huge hole :p

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • getmyacttogether2016
    Options
    Evening all

I would like to join please. Have just caught up with the thread and have taken a few points from others and got my backside into gear.

Mend; 4 pairs of socks darned that have been sitting on my sewing table for far too long and 3 bras where the wire had pocked through. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t look pretty but they are now wearable again and at most took around an hour.

Still got 2x tops and a dress and then thats my mend pile done for the time being.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make do with food from freezer. Lunch made today from bits in fridge including spinach leaves which had seen better dats.
    Minimised loads of paperwork but it still looks as if I haven't touched any of it.
    Mend not much has been done. DH repaired the compost heap and I minimised the compost pile into the garden.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to the thread baileydog99 and GMAT :). Hello to everyone else :)

Been away for the weekend seeing my dad which was lovely. Unfortunately had to throw away some veg when I came back, thought it would last until today to be used up in a stirfry but it had gone fousty. Made some banana loaf from some very black bananas.

Menu plan done for next week so hopefully will manage not to waste any food, also hopefully keep food spends low.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10802.94/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1550.15/£2000 (77.5% saved).
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Quick question if I may please.

My little one split the seam on the bum of her school trousers. I don't have a sewing machine so I need to sew them by hand.

What can I do to make sure that they don't immediately split open again if she bends over (or does the splits which is how they split in the first place!)?
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    rosie383 wrote: »
    Quick question if I may please.

My little one split the seam on the bum of her school trousers. I don't have a sewing machine so I need to sew them by hand.

What can I do to make sure that they don't immediately split open again if she bends over (or does the splits which is how they split in the first place!)?

Hi Rosie, perhaps try ‘The Sewing Thread’ for an answer - something similar might have come up. Sorry that I cannot help but I am a poor sewer :(

MrsSD

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure