Dozens bank account?

Options

Comments

• katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I too saw the tube adverts and read the website. It looked to me like the funds were pretty much as safe as a bank regular saver so thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread for clarifying further. I found there "this is basically a loss-leader" to be very reassuring so it is really helpful that there are better informed and more financially aware people who post here.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-6772661/What-Dozens-advertising-5-savings-rate.html

"A 5% fixed-rate 'savings' deal? Dozens advertises a bumper rate 'for people just starting to save' - but those tempted should tread with caution"
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/saving/article-6772661/What-Dozens-advertising-5-savings-rate.html

"A 5% fixed-rate 'savings' deal? Dozens advertises a bumper rate 'for people just starting to save' - but those tempted should tread with caution"
    I should think that a negative piece like that would have quite an effect on this company, as I'd imagine there to be quite an overlap on a Venn diagram featuring Daily Mail readers and gullible punters....

Predictably disappointing (or disappointingly predictable) response from the FCA:
    What does the FCA say?

We contacted the FCA for clarification about the protections available to customers who might end up investing in Dozens.

We also asked whether the FCA believes the advertisement to be clear and not misleading, due to the fact the five per cent rate appears to be marketed as a 'savings' product.

However, it told This is Money that it does not comment on individual firms and their advertising.
    aka 'What does the FCA say? Nothing, until it's too late'....
  • sendu
    sendu Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Addressing some of the outstanding questions raised in the thread:

Rob still claims he's waiting for verification.

The 5% bonds in the "save" section of the app are not invested in anything underneath; the 5% comes from essentially marketing budget.

They have been set up as bonds and not a normal savings account because Dozens do not yet have their banking license. This was a way to offer something "safe" to get new customers while they wait to get one.

Their regulatory filings can be found at their website address with "/nex" added (sorry, as a new poster I can't add links).
    In particular, the money for the 5% savings bonds is held in a trustee controlled account. The trustee is "U.S. Bank Trustees Limited", and the money is held in a secured account by "Elavon Financial Services DAC".

When you bid for a bond in the app, you see the full terms and conditions. I skipped through and can't remember what was there, but I suspect all the required warnings and such were there.

The "invest" part of the app hasn't been enabled yet, but the plan is that before people are allowed access they will go through a risk profile questionnaire and have to state they have a certain level of savings, before being allowed to invest.

Disclosure: I am a normal customer of Dozens. I've put some money in to their first bond issuance, and plan to put money in to each subsequent one. I am also putting a small amount in to their crowdfunding on Seedr, which opens to the public tomorrow.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 March 2019 at 8:43AM
    Options
    sendu wrote: »
    Addressing some of the outstanding questions raised in the thread....:.

... I am a normal customer of Dozens. I've put some money in to their first bond issuance, and plan to put money in to each subsequent one. I am also putting a small amount in to their crowdfunding on Seedr, which opens to the public tomorrow.

Your points are interesting, but don't really cover the fact that dozens are advertising as if they are a bank (they're not) and as if they are offering a 'savings account' (they're not). They are drawing people in in a misleading way to something which is, ultimately, an investment and does risk capital.

Why anyone would also crowdfund them, as you say you doing, I really don't know! That's another very easy way to lose your capital - buy a stake in a company that does not have, yet, any track record so could fail completely.

But you are obviously interested in high-stake investments as your recent post about Property Investment scams (https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5974430) implies, despite those being almost certainly high-risk and almost certainly scams, that you would consider investing in those too.

Do you like high-risk?
  • sendu
    Options
    I know that investing in any start up is a stupid idea, but the small amount I'm investing is "just for fun", and in a company I believe in since they have a great product that I know other people are also going to like.

I wouldn't say I "like" high-risk, no. Which is why my other thread that you linked to asks if there is a non-scam (low risk) variety of that kind of investment.
  • sendu
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    Your points are interesting, but don't really cover the fact that dozens are advertising as if they are a bank (they're not) and as if they are offering a 'savings account' (they're not). They are drawing people in in a misleading way to something which is, ultimately, an investment and does risk capital.

I think their tube advertising is really quite clear. The one featured in the daily mail article doesn't have anything misleading in it.

Their website does say at the top "dozens is a new way of banking", but they also make it very clear further down the page (in non-small print) exactly what they are and what your protections are.

I neither feel mislead, nor do I get the impression they are trying to mislead anyone. They are probably forward looking in their presentation of things, given their anticipation of getting their banking license.
  • londoninvestor
    londoninvestor Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    sendu wrote: »
    I neither feel mislead, nor do I get the impression they are trying to mislead anyone. They are probably forward looking in their presentation of things, given their anticipation of getting their banking license.

Now, without knowing any of the people involved, I'm very open to believing that they're not trying to mislead anyone, and that they have a genuine sense of positive mission. That can be a double-edged sword though - if you're very convinced of the righteousness of what you're doing, you may be less likely to question yourself.

These things could all be clearer though:
    1) The tube ad in the Daily Mail article implies that the bond product is a savings account. "dozens is on a mission to make sure your hard earned savings are not losing value. So we've created 5% pa fixed interest bonds". The majority of people reading that will surely assume this is a fixed-term deposit as offered by many banks and building societies.

2) Nothing in that tube ad says that your money isn't FSCS protected. It doesn't state that the money is protected, but by giving the implication it's a savings account, it will lead many people to assume it is.

Now, the website says "for both the fixed interest bonds or our strategies you are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme for up to £50,000 for our misselling or default". That "our" is pretty misleading. The FSCS would indeed cover misselling or default by the operator of the dozens platform (i.e. Project Imagine Ltd, trading as dozens). It does not cover default by the special purpose vehicle entity that is the issuer of the bond (Dozens Savings plc).

That's not out of line with investments generally (for example, if I buy a corporate bond through Hargreaves Lansdown, I'm protected by the FSCS up to £50k if HL loses my money, but I'm not protected if the issuer defaults on the bond). But not what many readers will assume what is meant by "our default" on the dozens site.

3) As it happens, I do think the bonds are pretty safe! The trustee is a subsidiary of US Bancorp, which while not well known outside the US is a reputable operator of such things. But to understand the structure and conclude that the risks are indeed minor, you need a pretty detailed understanding of finance. So it's questionable to be marketing the product to people "just starting on their savings journey".

Indeed, the bond documents (here, page 10) state:
    RISKS RELATING TO THE STRUCTURE OF THE BOND
    The Bonds may not be a suitable investment for all investors

Each potential investor in the Bonds must determine the suitability of that investment in light of his or herown circumstances. In particular, each potential investor should:

1.have sufficient knowledge and experience to make a meaningful evaluation of the Bonds, the merits and risks of investing in the Bonds and the information contained or incorporated by reference in this Document and any applicable Pricing Supplement
    4.understand thoroughly the terms of the Bonds and be familiar with the behaviour of any relevant financial markets;

Is it really credible that Dozens can say their target customers have this understanding?
  • sendu
    Options
    2) Nothing in that tube ad says that your money isn't FSCS protected. It doesn't state that the money is protected, but by giving the implication it's a savings account, it will lead many people to assume it is.

The fine print does mention that it's protected by the trustee account, which may imply to people who know what FSCS protection is, that it doesn't apply.

For me all the relevant information I need to understand the product is there.

I see where you're coming from with the rest of what you say. Good communication is a difficult thing. I don't, for example, expect them to say in big letters We are not a real bank! Normal FSCS protection for your savings does not apply!. You can still tell the truth without being scary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure