Property investment scams?

Options
I read a little bit of the carpark scam thread. Is it safe to say that all deals along those lines will be scams, or could there be legitimate offerings?

select-portfolio.co.uk Have a range of property investments, and some of them have a slightly different structure, where it's developer financing for something that hasn't been built yet, and they give a clear break down of what you pay and what you get back. Over 200% ROI.

I sent them an email with a bunch of questions along the lines of "is it guaranteed", "what is the guarantee backed by", but never got a reply.

I won't invest on that basis alone, but is there something real out there that I'm missing out on?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well their terms and conditions

https://www.select-portfolio.co.uk/terms-conditions

Is plastered with the name select-resorts which does not inspire confidence

No fca registration , not licenced for investment or to hold client money on deposit.

Does not look good
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What could possibly go wrong?

That hotel in Yorkshire has been on here very recently but I don't have time or inclination to look for the link

I wonder where OP hear of this company:cool:
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    sendu wrote: »
    I read a little bit of the carpark scam thread. Is it safe to say that all deals along those lines will be scams, or could there be legitimate offerings?

It's safe to treat them as scams because the few that aren't scams will be so risky you have a very high chance of losing your money, and I guess you don't care if there's a 100% chance of losing all your money through a scams or 95% through a highly risky investment.
  • doe808
    doe808 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I won't invest on that basis alone, but is there something real out there that I'm missing out on?

Unlikley. I worked in property investment for over 10 years (legal side advising banks, mainly). The good investment grade stuff rarely comes near the retail maket, due to all the extra costs involved in doing so.

Stick to listed funds.
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    200% return? Yeah sounds totally legit. They obviously need to work at raising funds because of the low yield.

You could almost say it sounds too good to be true.
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    200% return? Yeah sounds totally legit. They obviously need to work at raising funds because of the low yield.

You could almost say it sounds too good to be true.
    It depends on the time scale too. 11.6% annual return compounding for 10 years will yield 200% returns, this sounds about right for a high risk investment. However for 5 years that will be an unrealistic annualised return of 24.6%.
  • sendu
    sendu Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mr.Saver wrote: »
    It depends on the time scale too. 11.6% annual return compounding for 10 years will yield 200% returns, this sounds about right for a high risk investment. However for 5 years that will be an unrealistic annualised return of 24.6%.

Thanks. The specific one I looked at has 2 options and these schedules:

Full Purchase:
    Purchase price: £205,000
    Client cash input (with 3 years by deduction): £143,500
    Reservation fee: £1000
    Balance of cash input: £143,000
    Assured tenancy period: 10 years
    Income: 10%
    No. of years by deduction: 3
    No. of years on full purchase price: 7

Year | Rental Income (10%)
    1 £20,500 by deduction
    2 £20,500 by deduction
    3 £20,500 by deduction
    4 £20,500
    5 £20,500
    6 £20,500
    7 £20,500
    8 £20,500
    9 £20,500
    10 £20,500
    Total £205,000

Buy back at 125%: £256,250
    Total Purchaser Returns: £205,000
    Less Cash Input (including three years deduction): £205,000
    Cash received over and above purchase price: £256,250
    ROI: 125%

Developer Finance:
    Similar sort of idea as above, but you put in £82,000 (for the same property), and a proportion of the yearly rent goes in to covering the rest of the initial purchase price. That gives an ROI of 268% after 10 years.

So, are either of these deals sane? Are they even good deals considering the 10 years? If they are good deals, why would any developer do deals like this? If the above doesn't strictly contain any lies, is their claimed valuation of the property just too high, and that's the scam?
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I haven't looked at these at all, but I would point out the assured tenancy and buy back both depend on the company continuing to exist for 10 years. If they don't you just end up with a car park space (is it freehold or leasehold by the way?) which is up to you to try to rent or sell, at which point you will probably discover it has a wildly exaggerated valuation.
  • webjaved
    webjaved Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As soon as I saw 200& ROI, all that pinged in my mind was SCAM!
    Save £12k in 2019 #154 - £14,826.60/£12k
    Save £12k in 2020 #128 - £4,155.62/£10k
  • doe808
    doe808 Posts: 452 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. The specific one I looked at has 2 options and these schedules:

Full Purchase:
    Purchase price: £205,000
    Client cash input (with 3 years by deduction): £143,500
    Reservation fee: £1000
    Balance of cash input: £143,000
    Assured tenancy period: 10 years
    Income: 10%
    No. of years by deduction: 3
    No. of years on full purchase price: 7

Year | Rental Income (10%)
    1 £20,500 by deduction
    2 £20,500 by deduction
    3 £20,500 by deduction
    4 £20,500
    5 £20,500
    6 £20,500
    7 £20,500
    8 £20,500
    9 £20,500
    10 £20,500
    Total £205,000

Buy back at 125%: £256,250
    Total Purchaser Returns: £205,000
    Less Cash Input (including three years deduction): £205,000
    Cash received over and above purchase price: £256,250
    ROI: 125%

Developer Finance:
    Similar sort of idea as above, but you put in £82,000 (for the same property), and a proportion of the yearly rent goes in to covering the rest of the initial purchase price. That gives an ROI of 268% after 10 years.

So, are either of these deals sane? Are they even good deals considering the 10 years? If they are good deals, why would any developer do deals like this? If the above doesn't strictly contain any lies, is their claimed valuation of the property just too high, and that's the scam?

If that was what was reasonably expected, they would have no issue obtaining standard finance, at cheaper cost (with less administrative hassle). Ask yourself why wouldn'nt they do this?
    Total - £340.00

wins : £7.50 Virgin Vouchers, Nikon Coolpixs S550 x 2, I-Tunes Vouchers, £5 Esprit Voucher, Big Snap 2 (x2), Alaska Seafood book
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure