Vodafone 4.1% price rise

Options
Bobby4puddings
Bobby4puddings Posts: 35 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 15 February 2018 at 12:55PM in Mobiles
Looks like Vodafone are increasing there monthly prices by 4.1% in April/May. If you are an existing customer and you took up your contract between April 2014 and 5 May 2016, you are still covered by there Fixed Price Promise and there will be no change to your monthly contract.

Together with the wife we have been a Vodafone customers for many years and always upgraded over the phone when the contract ended.

I can't recall signing any agreement with them and if I did it was 10+ years ago. The upgrades have always been over the phone so nothings been signed. I can't recall them telling me over the phone either that I may be liable for any mid term price rises.

Do you think I'm liable for these rises?
Do you think I am within my rights to ask to see what evidence they have that I agreed to such conditions?

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They can't give a rate yet, as they have said they will use the Feb RPI published in March, so will have to wait,but it will be about 4%.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Unfortunately you'd appear liable for the mid-term increase:

For new and upgrading customers yes, but we’ll continue to honour our Fixed Price Promise to customers who purchased a Pay monthly plan before 5 May 2016 until the end of their contract.

That's taken from the Vodafone website; even though you've 'upgraded' over the phone it'd be deemed as a verbal contract.

Should you have been told about any possible price changes? Absolutely.

If you wish to complain have a look at this forum topic:

http://www.forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5393903&page=61
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Stretlow
    Options
    This is an absolute monopoly.

I'm 2 months into a 24 month contract and im being forced an increase with no option to return the phone or get out of the contract.

What an absolute disgrace Ofcom are letting them, do this with no option for customers.

I've never been so angry
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Stretlow wrote: »
    This is an absolute monopoly.

I'm 2 months into a 24 month contract and im being forced an increase with no option to return the phone or get out of the contract.

What an absolute disgrace Ofcom are letting them, do this with no option for customers.

I've never been so angry

Putting aside that it is in your contract, you really should have expected this. It's been like this for a while now and every year there are news articles, blogs and forum posts.

It's not like Vodafone are alone in doing this - most providers do. Before Ofcom got involved the situation was worse. The situation is similar with other products and services with minimum term contracts. Sky put up prices during the contract as do power and utility.

Of course what providers need to do is show their customers why the increase is justified. Vodafone et al should be transparent about how their costs have changed. Otherwise customers rightly can't help but feel they are just increasing by the maximum they can.
  • Bobby4puddings
    Bobby4puddings Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2018 at 12:01PM
    Options
    I had a winge on Vodafone's forum which is I believe moderated by Vodafone themselves.
    I was told by one basically "tough pay up like everybody else" and "Vodafones terms and conditions include that they can change them at any time to whatever they want"
    How can this be allowed? Whats the point in having T&C's?
    When my contract finishes I'm ditching them and getting a PAYG such as Giff Gaff.

I'm sick to death with these multi national companies trying to squeeze every last penny out of you!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How can this be allowed? Whats the point in having T&C's?

Strange comment. This is actually in the T&C’s you’re asking what the point of is...

These RPI increases have been around for many years on most networks.
    ====
  • overpricedcoffee
    Options
    I really cannot understand why people get so angry about RPI it's common knowledge it happens everywhere from BT, Sky, Virginmedia, EE, Vodafone, Three, O2 and the list goes on.

If you know what you're signing means you have to pay RPI don't sign it, don't get a 24 month contract and stick to something else which does not have it i.e PAYG etc.
  • Stretlow
    Options
    PHK wrote: »
    Putting aside that it is in your contract, you really should have expected this. It's been like this for a while now and every year there are news articles, blogs and forum posts.

It's not like Vodafone are alone in doing this - most providers do. Before Ofcom got involved the situation was worse. The situation is similar with other products and services with minimum term contracts. Sky put up prices during the contract as do power and utility.

Of course what providers need to do is show their customers why the increase is justified. Vodafone et al should be transparent about how their costs have changed. Otherwise customers rightly can't help but feel they are just increasing by the maximum they can.

its not always that simple is it, when you say " I should have expected this"

I've come from a sim only deal that I've been on since 2013. i took the contract because i got a pretty good deal on the handset I was looking at (which i'm regretting leaving now)

I'm sorry but whichever way you want to butter it up, a price increase 2 months into a 24 month deal with no get out options is an absolute bumming.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    Stretlow wrote: »
    I've never been so angry
    You can't "get out of" the contract you agreed to without paying for it anyway. The phone has nothing to do with anything.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Another reason, if one was needed, to read the small print before agreeing to a contract. It’s not just annual RPI increases, check over spend caps, etc.

Martin himself, and many on this forum, have been banging the drum about going SIM only for ages... still, “I’m due an upgrade”, and “for only £x deposit I got this posh new phone” seems to catch a lot of customers...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure