30 ways to stop scams article discussion

Options
Former_MSE_Wendy
Former_MSE_Wendy Posts: 929 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! PPI Party Pooper Best Buy Bear
edited 1 July 2015 at 1:02PM in Praise, vent & warnings
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the article

To discuss or ask a question just click 'reply'. Thanks!
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• triticale
    Options
    Number 6 and 16 are very important I think.

So many people 'trust' google to not return dodgy websites - fact is they don't care. 'Sponsored links' are the worst, I have to remind family members to ignore those top 3 or so results.

With regards to Googling 'Company Name Complaints' - if everybody did this beforehand then there wouldn't be half the angry posts from people on here. So often the company they come on here to rant about, has other complaints on this forum coming up on the first page of google!
  • Freddie_Snowbits
    Freddie_Snowbits Posts: 4,328 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2011 at 4:59PM
    Options
    Very good.

1. On Free anti virus software, you do get what you pay for!
    2. On 'False links', it would be handy to note that the site the link takes you to is noted on the bottom left of your browser window, though names such as www.bbc.co.uk.humped.lostme.money.com/showcon.html may indicate it starts with BBC, but the handle at the end is a diferent site. (Note the link is unlisted as the site does not exist!)

Though Freddie is reversed about fake uggg boats, if it is tooooooooooooooooooo cheap, it probably is!
  • brush-head©
    Options
    It's not quite the same as number 4 but I've recently switched to Virgin Media for BB & 'phone (yes I know they're not the cheapest but with all the money I've saved over the years I thought I'd splash out! ha!ha!) & I have been asked a number of times for my "My Virgin Media" web site password (it is also the access point into their web & GMail based e-mail). I've just refused to answer - I hasten to add my calls to them for support etc. So I've asked them each time to ask me something else like my postcode (shared with umpteen neighbours) & one ore two other things.
    They're the only company I've come across that do this. When I challenged one of them one time I was told it was to do with data protection, which is poppycock. Apart from anything else if they're using CLI systems & I hope they would do, then they can see the telephone number no problem etc etc. There are plenty of other pieces of data they can check against.
    The meek will inherit the earth - except for the mineral rights. John Paul Getty. ;)
  • Malcolm_Oliver
    Options
    Decent anti-virus and anti-spyware software (and the free ones are actually pretty good) should keep you fairly safe, but there is a risk of keylogging software that might get onto your system, which could then record your passwords as you enter them.

A simple way to avoid this is to keep a word-processing file (not labelled Password!) on a memory stick with your log-in details and passwords noted. To be ultra-safe, you can "hide" these amongst other words and numbers, and of course you can password-protect the file as well.

Then, instead of keying in the details (which could be logged), just copy the relevant info from the memory stick file and paste it into the website. Once you get used to it, it is actually quicker than typing stuff in, as well as safer.
  • Queries
    Queries Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Watch out for the 0906 scam! This is re-appearing. A card posted through your door saying that the've been unable to deliver a package and to call a 0906 number. Courier firms usually use a 0870, 0871 or 0844, 0845 numbers. 0906 numbers are premium line numbers. apparently this is no few pounds per call ones but can actually be as expensive as £315 for a single call! Watch out!
  • ashleypride
    Options
    Queries wrote: »
    Watch out for the 0906 scam! This is re-appearing. A card posted through your door saying that the've been unable to deliver a package and to call a 0906 number. Courier firms usually use a 0870, 0871 or 0844, 0845 numbers. 0906 numbers are premium line numbers. apparently this is no few pounds per call ones but can actually be as expensive as £315 for a single call! Watch out!

Please not again, the scam is the chain letter.

http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/fraud/types-of-fraud/common-scams/postal-scam-email-from-parcel-delivery-service-65455465
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi everyone!

July is Scams Awareness Month so we're bumping this up.

Have a good read of the guide to make sure you're scam aware and follow Citizens Advice on twitter and on the #scamaware hashtag to keep up to date on what's going on.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pity its not SPAM awareness month .
  • Kernow666
    Kernow666 Posts: 3,480 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    common sense is the most important
    but alas in this day & age people are lacking it in abundance
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Step 1: use your brain. Don't just sign up to something by clicking blindly then go crying about it when you inevitably get charged. Hence the Amazon prime thread.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback