Your Bangernomics successes

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What sort of insurance are these "quality" bangers costing

On the drive costs for 1 year, tax, insurance, MOT if you keep it can be significant part of the cost for a low mileage user.
  • Weird_Nev
    Weird_Nev Posts: 1,383 Forumite
    Options
    Mine was £295 fully comprehensive a year for the BMW. Male, 30, Parked on Drive, 4 years NCB no accidents, claims or points. Guess I must be blessed.

It really, genuinely, honestly was NOT an expensive car to run! It beats out just about anything with any depreciation to it at all! It's left fighting it out with veg oil burning non common rail diesels, and ex taxi cabs! I know which I'd rather drive 1,000 miles in!
  • zenmaster
    zenmaster Posts: 3,151 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2012 at 12:00AM
    Options
    2.0 V reg Volvo V40, just about 100k on the clock - £700. I immediately bought new tyres for it, so another £200.

It's not perfect - the remote packed up after a few months so I have to lock/unlock manually and one of the rear split/fold seats doesn't.

I've spent about another £500 on servicing/MOT (including £140 for one switch which, had I known, I could probably have picked up from the breakers for a fiver). Oh - and another tyre when one of mine went "pop".

I've had it for about 3 years and done 40k+ miles.

I can honestly say it's one of the best cars I've ever had. Looks like a posh motor, feels like a posh motor and drives like a posh motor.

I was intending to keep it another year but someone ran into the back of me just before Christmas and now the boot won't open. It's just one flaw too far as it's a pain to get the golf clubs in and out through the passenger door.

Still, the insurance company gave me £1000 and let me keep the car so I shall probably chop it in just before the MOT runs out or send it to the auctions.

I'll be sorry to see it go and will certainly try to find another similar.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    What sort of insurance are these "quality" bangers costing

On the drive costs for 1 year, tax, insurance, MOT if you keep it can be significant part of the cost for a low mileage user.

Same for any car though.

Insurance for mine was about £150. Tax was £130.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Weird_Nev wrote: »
    BMW 328i Touring.

Not your usual Banger - But £700 after spotting it on ebay locally. It sold for £840, buyer didn't collect, I did!

Now, this car makes a strong case for "MPG is not the be all and end all!"

So, bought with 162,000 miles on it:
    Dual Zone Climate Control, half leatehr Sports interior, Electric everything, all working
    193Bhp 2.8 Straight Six
    Traction control and ABS
    Really nice to drive.
    Exceptionally comfortable on long journeys.

I ran it for 17,000 miles averaging 30mpg, and the average cost per mile was 28p.

However, I did do a bit of upkeep, New rear dampers, new brakes all round, it needed new brake lines doing at one point. Thing was, it was such a good car that I couldn't ignore little faults, which is where it failed on true "bangernomics". However, sourcing parts myself and doing work myself meant that I Kept my hand in with mechanics and enjoyed working on the car. It did 1000 mile tours of Scotlands and a 2,000 mile european road trip with no bother whatsoever.

You can read my blog here:

P1030826.jpg

I like to think of it as Bangernomics with a touch of class and pace.
    Sold it last month for £700! Depreciation (but not cost) free motoring!

Great blog Nev!
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 February 2012 at 5:44PM
    Options
    Have just had an email from the scrappie around the corner-

"Thank you for your enquiry about scraping your car ,at present we are paying one hundred and forty pounds a tonne,we would require the v five documents,an average car will give about one hundred and fifty to one hundred and sixty pounds."

This is the best offer I have had so I will drive the astra down at the weekend. I also got a Haynes manual for £1.75 of ebay yesterday.
  • Lindopski
    Options
    Rover 420 SDI (1999) S-Reg

Cost me £350 about 4 years ago
    Its done 157k and never fails to start, the only major bits to go are a piece of exhaust some small weld on the front outriggers and the battery - the rest is wear and tear stuff - brakes,tyres etc.

It has been abused mercilessly and I have just done my first oil change on it since I got it 4 years ago - and its been doing about 18k a year.
    It was a cat-D right off that had been put back on the road when I got it so hardly well maintained then.
    Typical rover as the trim all falls off but other than that I know the car will not let me down.
    I couldn't walk in Jan due to a bad attack of gout and left the car in a side street in the frost for over two weeks. I went to it on the Sunday before going back to work when it was about -6 outside and it started on the first go.
    Its getting a new cambelt soon as a suprise gift and will get a proper service now
    its deserved it.

Second best car is my old Citroen Xantia diesel (aka the worlds most comfy'est car) to be honest it felt more like a ship floating down the road on the big settee seats - another !!!!!! that would never stop going - only thing that scared me on it was the creaky suspension as its all hydro-god-knows-what so I got rid and got the Rover.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Have just had an email from the scrappie around the corner-

"Thank you for your enquiry about scraping your car ,at present we are paying one hundred and forty pounds a tonne,we would require the v five documents,an average car will give about one hundred and fifty to one hundred and sixty pounds."

This is the best offer I have had so I will drive the astra down at the weekend. I also got a Haynes manual for £1.75 of ebay yesterday.

Have you had a quote from cartakeback.com?
    They were the best for me.
  • worried_jim
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They have offered me £140 for collection. If I take it there it is £165 but it is £20 miles away. My local one is a 5 minute walk away, I didn't consider it first as it is not a car dismantlers but a true scrap metal yard (old skips, machinery etc). I drove past the other night and had a look through the fence and saw an email address for them on their enviromental details sign, sent of a message and hey presto. So for convience it will go there on Saturday morning- may stick some wmo in to see how it goes.
  • jase1
    jase1 Posts: 2,308 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2012 at 7:14PM
    Options
    This is probably cheating, but when my Grandad was told he'd only get £750 for his 6 year old Daewoo Nubira he gave it to us. I got 7 years out of the car and ended up selling it for £325 at 13 years old, still going strong. No major faults in that time; one window regulator, a siezed caliper, an ABS sensor, a couple of wishbones, a cambelt kit, a small oil leak fixed with the cambelt and one dodgy IAC Valve was all it cost us (no more than £500 all told).

It's still on the road (according to askMID) and I don't doubt that it'll keep going.

Also put nearly 100,000 miles on a Primera that already had 170k when I bought it for £800. It was worse for wear by the end but gave very little trouble while I had it.

I've also owned a number of other cheap cars for 2 or 3 years at a time, none of which cost more than a £1000. Currently have a Mitsubishi which was £1000 on a 2003 plate, which is going great guns.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback