Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds both exciting and wonderful, Tilly! :) x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    First wave of money sent to the builder - it’s real and happening. I can’t recall if I posted that the garage is being built to a standard that it could be converted to an annexe if required. Who knows what the future holds so may as well future proof a bit.

I will be back to Tilly Tidying all our pennies into our Reno account. Back on the no spend bandwagon apart from a quick trip in a couple of weeks. We have decided to go the whole hog and end up with a house which will be fun to live in, albeit not platinimum spec, but that still has a cost which is higher than original budget. I had thought we had enough invested but may need to find a bit more.

Could be time to start a new diary, or perhaps just use this one as we navigate a minefield of stress.

Change of subject - I did a survey for YG this week about making friends over the t’interweb. This has been a great forum for doing that and meeting like minded people. I’ve both received and sent items to people, arranged and collected gift money for a new arrival, made some great face to face friends. I will always be extremely grateful to MSE Forums.

Back to original topic. Scary and uncharted waters over the next year. Building starts in under a month. We have delayed house Reno starting for six months to allow more £ to both be released from savings and investments, plus additional monthly saving. On the bright side, this means our summer holiday won’t require us to pack up our house. We will do that in December. The garage will be finished around August and will be racked out in readiness for packing up the house contents. I have a list of items we are getting rid of and I’ve given that to someone who helps find homes for people struggling in the Algarve. Our last visitors are there shortly and items we no longer need will be leaving the house straight afterwards.

It’s quite a weird feeling to be this close to starting. Looking forward to cooking in the open plan kitchen with its views through to the back garden.

Happy days (and scary ones)

Tilly xx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I can’t recall if I posted that the garage is being built to a standard that it could be converted to an annexe if required.

I do think you might have asked me for input in planning my new home :(. What if I don't like where the windows are???????

Exciting times ahead, can you bring a set of plans out with you or shall I get the serviettes out :rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    I do think you might have asked me for input in planning my new home :(. What if I don't like where the windows are???????

Exciting times ahead, can you bring a set of plans out with you or shall I get the serviettes out :rotfl:.

I have plans - job for next week is file all the bl@@dy paperwork as I appear to be growing a tree forest in the study - you won’t be able to see me or Mr T under the stacks. Can’t believe how much paper is used over there.

You’ll love the windows, graphite with shutters. We will end up with a separate utility with sink etc which is large enough to split into a shower room and kitchen, then a studio style apartment. Always thinking ahead.

Right, I’m off to the PO and I may be some time. If I don’t report back for months, don't worry, I’ll just be under a stack of paper.

Tilly xx
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    What a glorious afternoon. The sun is shining, my washing has dried on the line and the ironing finished. Not quite put Mr Ts ironed shirts away but you can’t win them all.

I’m sitting with the doors open listening to the birds and have to stop and recognise that life is good.

The Tilly hounds are in the garden causing a little mayhem and I need to sort out dinner.

Best wishes Tilly xx
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow, just catching up Tilly..it sounds AMAZING and so so exciting. Thrilling. Dont worry am sure youll get the hang of making house decisions as well as you make work ones.. :rotfl: am sure its just a question of practice ;)

All the agility in the floor planning makes total sense, very wise. And well done for learning the local language. Thats also important.

Do keep posting. Very exciting to vicariously see you onto the next phase...

Brizzle Xxxxx
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Dont worry am sure youll get the hang of making house decisions as well as you make work ones.. :rotfl: am sure its just a question of practice ;)
    That's what she has me and MWC for :rotfl:. I'll be seeing the plans shortly and have a large bottle of Tippex ready :D.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    I’m sticking with Brizzle, I’m sure these housey decisions get easier :T

I can actually see the house in my mind now - for people who know me in RL, they will appreciate the massive improvement in imagination :rotfl:

I am still worrying like a nutter but equally I can see myself pottering in the kitchen and looking into the gardens. Happy days.

Brizzle, just to be clear, I’m learning the language now but definitely struggling :rotfl: Mr T is better than me thankfully. However, the Portuguese builder speaks good English.

I’m off to worry quietly about sockets, flooring, photovoltaic panels, air source heat pumps HELP.........

Tilly xx
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Hey am sure its not in your nature to go with the flow....but am sure this is the time to give it a whirl ;)

Itll be good...just stay away from GG and that bottle of Tippex :rotfl: maybe swap it out for a nice bottle of red

PV panels btw are fab. No bother as no moving parts and they pay for themselves, love them. Ground source is also good.

Keep posting, lots of love xx
  • brizzlegirl
    Options
    Hope all is good with you Tillly. Sending you lots of love from somewhere with loads of sun (Brizzle, so not quite Southern Europe :D but we are with you in spirit ;))
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback