Feeling failed by our wedding venue

Options

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mrs_Imp wrote: »
    Definitely agree with making light of things. Our wedding day could've been completely spoiled, but we laugh about the absent bridesmaid, the wrong size jacket sent by the suit hire company, the flowers that nearly weren't (member of staff at the shop legged it with the order book), horizontal rain, dress that burst at the seams, bride who was extremely late due to an awful traffic jam, mispronounced names, broken car, fire alarm going off (the list continues a fair bit). But we had an amazing day, and I got to marry Mr Imp.

Take their offer, ask for a meal and some wine, and enjoy it. Have a giggle about everything (we do), and focus on the important bit - you got to marry the one you love.
    Your wedding sounds great! Like a Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em plot. Much more interesting than the same old "well, he were are at the church, here are the flowers, here's dad making a speech, video of our first dance, etc, etc". We've all attended numerous weddings that go to script and they're just not memorable. Yours sounds a blast!
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    I totally agree with Savvy Sue, Aylesbury Duck and Mrs Imp, about concentrating on all the good points about the wedding. OP, I would bet that your bride looked beautiful, you made lovely wedding vows to each other and had a lot of special people in your lives there to witness this. Don't let the "dark cloud" hide all the sunshine.

There is usually something at a wedding that goes not quite to plan and it often does provide fun and laughter for many years afterwards.

In regard to our wedding, my husband's 3 year old nephew fell into a large puddle in his wedding suit on his way into the church and had to change into a dinosaur tshirt and shorts to go down the aisle. He does looks cute in the wedding photos. The hired videoman fell onto the wedding cake and damaged the top tier and the topper. He was so upset. I just said don't worry and put it all back on top. It is always a laughing point when the photos show us posing happily in front of a loop sided damaged cake with a broken topper on it. A cousin fell on the dance floor when dancing to the band and hurt her knee so badly she had to be treated by friends who were nurses and the bar staff with ice. Luckily she was alright afterwards.

At a family wedding lat summer, I spent time getting meals sorted as the vegetarian members of the party were given meat dishes in error. The staff couldn't find where they had stored the wedding cake and which had been delivered the day before and the bestman had to deal with that. The balloons on the table had deflated due to the cold air conditioning being on too high. The grooms mother who was disabled was not given the pre-booked and paid for disabled room, so had to sort that out. We all still had a really lovely day.

I agree with others that you should take their "goodwill" offer of a stay and maybe request for wine and a meal and get on with continuing to enjoy your new married life together.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Options
    So the worst thing about the OP's wedding was they had to stay up late the night before to decorate the place (and I'm sorry to be blunt, but guests never remember your colour scheme or cute table names however much effort you put in), and there was a bit of confusion with timings on the day, which got sorted. I was expecting a truly juicy wedding disaster story, along the lines of "the bride dressed up Moulin Rouge style and insisted on singing an (out of tune) acapella version of My Heart Will Go On", "the best man was heckled by a family member who'd been let out of prison the day before, and ended up being arrested again" or "the best man said such shocking things in his speech he was asked to leave and the groom has never spoken to him since." All of these happened to my friends!

I honestly think you should stop brooding over it and move on.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I honestly think you should stop brooding over it and move on.

^^^^^^^^^ This !!!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    And this is why my wedding reception was a DIY job in the back garden :)

Not much went wrong, nothing that spoiled the day. We still laugh at Mr Suki's best friend getting extremely drunk and having to be poured into a taxi home mid afternoon , the dog after being fed titbits all afternoon chucking his guts up all over the kitchen floor, not having enough cars to ferry everyone back home after the service which left a bunch of people stood on the doorstep waiting for someone with a key to arrive , that I didn't have a photographer and gave out disposable cameras for guests to take candid shots, only they managed to get thrown away - the list goes on :)

But it was a fantastic day, enjoyed by us and guests alike and at the end of the day we were married which is what it was all about :)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    While I agree that you can't re-do the day, so your best bet is to focus on the positives and move on, if you do whnt to pursue a complaint about the room not being available when promised, then refer them to the e-mail confirming that it would be available from 12 the previous day, point out what time it was actually made available to you, and ask for a discount equal to the cost of room hire for that amount of time (e.g. i the room costs £100 hour to hire, and you didn't have access until 3 when you were contracted to have it by 12, ask for £300.)

But do double check what you actually paid for - if you paid for the room from 12 on the day before, then you didn't get what you paid for and a partial refund is reasonable. If you only actually paid for the day of the wedding and the other time was a free add on then it is harder to argue that you should be entitled to anything.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    (and I'm sorry to be blunt, but guests never remember your colour scheme or cute table names however much effort you put in),
    To be fair, I don't go to many weddings these days, and the one I remember going to after a LOOOONG gap just fascinated me. What were we supposed to do with these cutesy little doves on the table? And hearts, I think there were cutesy little hearts. And what on earth was the point of the happy couple (or more likely I think the bride and her friends) having spent HOURS tying fancy bows round all the chairs, because once we were all sitting down you couldn't see them any more anyway!

So I still remember it, but not necessarily for the right reasons ...

but hey ho, each to their own, and there are very few weddings which cost less than mine ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Why are you unwilling to put out a public review? If someone else had done it first, you might have gone elsewhere. Think of it as your service to another couple.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,753 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jw84 wrote: »

They were overall very rude, nobody on site knew where any of our guests were staying so I spent most of my time dealing with this (effectively working for them for free) along with directing delivery drivers with stock orders around the site as they were struggling to get hold of and find the managers/owners as much as I was. Overall, a very operationally challenged venue.

They were very un-apologetic about all of this. My wife (bride on her wedding day) was also a faced with a family member of the owners to tell her about an on-going family feud about the venue and money!!.....

In the end I sent a lengthy overview of our experience to give them an opportunity to respond and do something to put it right rather than me just giving a public review.
    A few thoughts:

Firstly there are two sides to every story. I have no idea what actually happened but it's equally possible (to the outside observer) that an interfering guest was sticking his oar in and directing people who would otherwise have just got on with it.

Why did your wife stay and listen to a saga about a feud instead of just walking away?

No-one wants to read a lengthy overview. You probably lost them after the first paragraph.

Bullet points of complaint.
    Quantify any losses.
    Be clear about what you are looking for by way of recompense. Be realistic. Some hurt feelings are probably not part of the deal.
    Be prepared to negotiate.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hello007007
    Options
    I havent read the whole thread. I am really sorry this happened on your wedding day - its not something you can easily forgive or forget.
    I would say if you paid more than £100 on a credit card. Put in a claim for a section 75 TBH you have nothing to lose. If the section 75 team ruled in your favour they would refund you something. If you not happy with the invesitgation by credit card company - section 75 team you can always go to the ombudsman. I am not expert - section 75 I believe also covers services so I think this issue will be covered.
    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer - I was in my late 20s when I figured out what this meant.

I neither take or enter agreements which deal with interest. I dont want to profit from someone's misery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure