PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Options

Comments

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone who watched and enjoyed, if that's the right word, Roots last night would enjoy the book by Alex Haley.

Another on the same theme, from the PoV of a young girl slave and the daughter of an owner, is The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Excellent.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I have just finished reading Stolen Voices by Terri and Paul Duckett. It is a true story of the harrowing abuse this brother and sister suffered at the hands of their step father. This is their journey of how they survived the abuse and how 30 years later they finally got their step father arrested, charged and he received a custodial sentence. I felt compelled to find out their happy endings.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    loocyloo wrote: »
    I started reading this, but about 1/4 way in, I decided I was not that bothered about finding out about the you of the museum and have stopped.

that was my other 'treat'/rule about reading this year! ... if I am not enjoying a book/not caring about the characters, then I don't need to finish it!!!

I'm very excited though, as I had totally forgotten that before Christmas I pre-ordered High Force: A DCI Ryan Mystery (The DCI Ryan Mysteries Book 5) by LJ Ross for my kindle and a couple of days ago it 'landed' :0) all the DCI Ryan books are set in Northumberland, ( esp. Lindesfarne and surrounds ) and I like reading books set in places I know!

thats a shame ...I could never do that even if it means persisting and then realising I didnt particuarly enjoy it I could never stop half way.

Next book on our book club reading list is

26889279.jpg

Love getting started on a new one :)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Anyone who watched and enjoyed, if that's the right word, Roots last night would enjoy the book by Alex Haley.

Another on the same theme, from the PoV of a young girl slave and the daughter of an owner, is The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Excellent.
    Roots is on my shelf just begging for a spare week to be read, now's the right time as its dark and cold.

Sue Monk Kidd is a brilliant author! Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to add this one to the list.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I started my third book of the year last week, another John Grisham called The Innocent Man.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    thats a shame ...I could never do that even if it means persisting and then realising I didnt particuarly enjoy it I could never stop half way.

Next book on our book club reading list is

26889279.jpg

Love getting started on a new one :)

I find it hard to give up a physical book halfway through but find it a lot easier on my Kobo.
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Roots is on my shelf just begging for a spare week to be read, now's the right time as its dark and cold.

Sue Monk Kidd is a brilliant author! Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to add this one to the list.

I've got Roots too but haven't got round to reading it, I'll try and get round to it soon.

I'm still reading History of the Rain, it's not a page turner, it's less about the plot and more about how it gets there. It's not quite what I'm in the mood for right now but I'll get through it in the next day or two.

I've just picked up The Heart of What Was Lost by Tad Williams, a sequel to one of my favourite fantasy series. I'm really eager to read it so it gives me an incentive to get through History of the Rain.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I've got Roots too but haven't got round to reading it, I'll try and get round to it soon.
    I am going to have to limit my reading of anything that appeals to my social conscience. It's so important to understand what happens in life, but coupled with what I hear on the World Service it's starting to get me down.

I was flicking through BBC4 shows on the iPlayer last night, there was a Polish film about the Nazis in Poland which I had to switch off after less than 10 minutes, I was so disturbed by the pleasure the soldiers got from humiliating their victims.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • *Margaret*
    Options
    Just been catching up on everyone's reads. I've been poorly for quite a few days and haven't managed to get to the library. I've been slowly reading a book I got for Christmas, it's this one.

51VBjUuxSnL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm only on about page 50 but I've learned so much already. It's quite a big book so I'd recommend getting it on Kindle, especially if you're prone to nodding off during bedtime reading - I hit myself in the face with this the other day and it was quite painful!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just finished reading 'Passage across the Mersey', which is a biography of Helen Forrester written by her son, Robert Bhatia. It's only recently been published and I really enjoyed it - I've read and re-read Helen's autobiographical novels ('Twopence to cross the Mersey', 'Liverpool Miss' etc) so many times over the years but like most readers I always wondered what happened to her after the point the books ended. This biography gives a really fascinating account of her life in India and Canada, and also fleshes out her family history. I'd recommend it to anyone - just as I'd recommend her other books!
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    I have just finished reading A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen and it was a very enlightening read about the perils of drug addiction and being homeless. I had watched the film last year and had looked forward to the book, but the ending is very dry and unsatisfactory, I was really disappointed by the ending.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure