Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    liamcov wrote: »
    I thought they would have had this at the end of the application like Virgin do.
    They do! I know this is too late for you now that you've completed the application process, but for the benefit of others:
    At the end of the application, you're asked how your want to fund the new account:
    debit card / bank transfer / post a cheque.
    If you select bank transfer, a screen appears with the details of the LeedsBS bank sort-code, account number and the reference number you must use (it's the account number of your new account). You'll also get an email with the same details.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Roger147 wrote: »
    How to withdraw money from Leeds BS RS 5?[/QUOTE'

I received a letter informing me of an internet link to inform them of my maturity options. I completed and the matured funds were in my linked account today. I never read the letter properly last year and was surprised I couldn't just move the money out online when it matured. I had to ring them to sort it out.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • typistretired
    Options
    nbinblack wrote: »
    Leeds is SC-40 27 15 AC number-12440040 then reference is your account number

The good thing with Leeds BS when opening a new regular saver is that you do not have to set up a new payee you just alter the reference number.
  • pafpcg
    pafpcg Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    The good thing with Leeds BS when opening a new regular saver is that you do not have to set up a new payee you just alter the reference number.
    OK, this works for most banks but NOT for Santander!

There is a fault within one of the Santander systems for standing orders which ignores changes to the data in the reference field - you can change the reference on-line and everything looks OK, even the Santander customer support staff can see it looks OK, but when Santander send the electronic payment (to LeedsBS or anyone else), the original reference data is still there! It happened when I tried to do as suggested a couple of years ago and had the payment rejected by LeedsBS - their IT team checked their data-base for the transfer from Santander and emailed me with the contents of the relevant fields. I confirmed it by doing some test standing orders to banks which display the incoming reference data and, sure enough, after making a change to the reference data, Santander would always send the reference data from when the standing order was first set-up. They paid me & my partner a hefty sum of compensation but, as far as I know, they haven't changed their software (probably cheaper to keep paying compensation than dig around in the software and risk really breaking things!).

If you're using Santander for standing orders and you need to change the reference data, play safe and create a new standing order from scratch.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pafpcg wrote: »
    OK, this works for most banks but NOT for Santander!

There is a fault within one of the Santander systems for standing orders which ignores changes to the data in the reference field - you can change the reference on-line and everything looks OK, even the Santander customer support staff can see it looks OK, but when Santander send the electronic payment (to LeedsBS or anyone else), the original reference data is still there! It happened when I tried to do as suggested a couple of years ago and had the payment rejected by LeedsBS - their IT team checked their data-base for the transfer from Santander and emailed me with the contents of the relevant fields. I confirmed it by doing some test standing orders to banks which display the incoming reference data and, sure enough, after making a change to the reference data, Santander would always send the reference data from when the standing order was first set-up. They paid me & my partner a hefty sum of compensation but, as far as I know, they haven't changed their software (probably cheaper to keep paying compensation than dig around in the software and risk really breaking things!).

If you're using Santander for standing orders and you need to change the reference data, play safe and create a new standing order from scratch.

Hefty compo sounds like could be more that the lost Leeds interest...:)...
    Not saying you're wrong .. But it's worked with 2 recent SO payments to the Leeds BS for me...
  • interest_Ted
    interest_Ted Posts: 155 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For SS2 info - and anyone else that may be interested - re post 2 in this thread.

Bucks website now shows revamped accounts. Notable amendments to T&C of Regular Saver Locals include a) unlimited withdrawals at any time, and b) restricted now to locals only (not locals or existing members).

They also have a plain 'regular saver' paying 1.75% which is not restricted to locals, or existing members, allows deposits of £10 to £500 pm, and unlimited withdrawals. Monthly deposit can only be altered once per year, by prior written notice to Society, and no missed deposits allowed.

Ted
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could this be something of a record?

Yesterday, 6 miles to my nearest branch of Santander Bank to pay in my maturity cheque from the Nottingham BS Tigers RS.

As a Virgin store is not far away I called in, got my six ongoing RSs brought up to date and enquired about opening the No 11. Luckily I'm known by some of the staff, who accommodated me within about ten minutes. She told me all about her recent holiday in Turkey and some sad family news. I couldn't match that so apart from saying I was 'alright' we moved on.

This morning, 12 miles to my nearest branch of Leeds BS. Closed my RS Issue 5. Used £250 of the proceeds to open the RS Issue 17, receiving a cheque for the balance. Had my RS Issue 4 brought up to date. Then we talked. They were disappointed too in the branch that the interest rate was not kept at 2.55% for the Issue 17.

The upshot of our chat about the Issue 4 resulted in her promising to e-mail me whenever she got some relevant news. Could be useful.

To a different branch of Santander to pay in my Leeds cheque.

Back home for a break.

This afternoon, 16 miles to my nearest branch of Nottingham BS. Had my Special RS Issue 6 and my Starter ISA Issue 8 brought up to date. Opened the delightfully named Sunshine RS.

Match that!
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    Options
    Guess what I did next?

Leeds.png

:D
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Guess what I did next?

Leeds.png

:D

Well, being the upright, law-abiding, citizen you are, and not wanting to take advantage of any financial institution's obvious error, you immediately contacted Leeds and pointed out their folly:)

On the other hand, you might have thought it would be rude not to take up their very generous offer, so .....:rotfl:
  • typistretired
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schiff
    6 miles to my nearest branch of Santander Bank ....
    As a Virgin store is not far away .....
    12 miles to my nearest branch of Leeds BS.....
    16 miles to my nearest branch of Nottingham BS.

What's a cheque?? You could have done all that on the internet and saved on petrol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport