Stocks & Shares ISAs

Options

Comments

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a question I didn't want to start a new thread for, hopefully someone can confirm this - if I'm drip-feeding into an S&S ISA each month, so have already paid some into it for this tax year, can I open a new S&S ISA with a different provider and put money into that? Or does my monthly contribution make that impossible? I've been drip-feeding into the same ISA for a couple of years if that makes any difference.

I did have a look through the guide, and on the gov.uk ISA guide, the latter makes me think I cannot open a new S&S ISA.
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    I have a question I didn't want to start a new thread for, hopefully someone can confirm this - if I'm drip-feeding into an S&S ISA each month, so have already paid some into it for this tax year, can I open a new S&S ISA with a different provider and put money into that? Or does my monthly contribution make that impossible? I've been drip-feeding into the same ISA for a couple of years if that makes any difference.

I did have a look through the guide, and on the gov.uk ISA guide, the latter makes me think I cannot open a new S&S ISA.

With respect to S&S ISA you can only contribute to one S&S ISA per tax year. Nothing wrong with having S&S ISAs with different providers, as long as you only contribute to one of them in a given tax year.

Note: I believe there are changes for ISAs for the future which may change the rules, but they are yet to be confirmed.
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks. The thing about the different provider is that my current S&S ISA is with Nationwide for historical reasons, but their choice of funds is very limited, and as I read more about different funds to choose precisely none of them are on the Nationwide list. So another provider is pretty much mandatory.

Maybe the thing to do is bung money into a cash ISA for this tax year so as to make use the allowance, then transfer it to S&S ISA next year with a more flexible provider. As I haven't put anything in a cash ISA this year that would be possible. I know rates are terrible, but I have this thing about not losing out on the annual allowance.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    Maybe the thing to do is bung money into a cash ISA for this tax year so as to make use the allowance, then transfer it to S&S ISA next year with a more flexible provider.
    You have got until April 5 next year to do that.

The other alternative is to transfer your Nationwide ISA to a new provider. Depending on what you are invested in, you might have to sell the funds, or you might be able to transfer in specie.
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 October 2015 at 11:40PM
    Options
    Hi

I have a few questions, I am thinking of opening a S&S ISA with HSBC as thats where I have my normal bank account and cash ISA. At the moment I am just wanting to try it out and not putting in large amounts so convenience is priority for me right now.

1) I wanted to know if there are any initial charges with opening one up, I am already aware of annual fees (around 1.2% total).

2) How do I pay in, is it literally a case of me transferring whatever I want into the account like with a cash ISA? Ideally I would pay in a varying amount each month depending on how much I earn.

3) Is this managed online similar to online banking, i.e. it will show me the balance whenever I log on and all that kinda thing.

Thanks

Thanks
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am thinking of opening a S&S ISA with HSBC as thats where I have my normal bank account and cash ISA.

Interesting choice. Not one you would expect.

Bank financial products generally are poor value for money and limited.
    1) I wanted to know if there are any initial charges with opening one up, I am already aware of annual fees (around 1.2% total).

Generally not nowadays. Although it does depend on the assets you put inside of the ISA. (some will have dilution levies, bid/offer spreads etc).
    2) How do I pay in, is it literally a case of me transferring whatever I want into the account like with a cash ISA? Ideally I would pay in a varying amount each month depending on how much I earn.

monthly, quarterly, yearly, ad-hoc. by cheque, bank transfer etc.
    ) Is this managed online similar to online banking, i.e. it will show me the balance whenever I log on and all that kinda thing.

It is obviously very different to a bank account. However, many providers have online valuations.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Holty10
    Holty10 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, i am looking to invest in a single companies shares on a monthly basis with an ISA.

Could anyone point me in the direction of the best/ cheapest company to do this with.
  • cisamcgu
    cisamcgu Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I have a few questions, I am thinking of opening a S&S ISA with HSBC as thats where I have my normal bank account and cash ISA. At the moment I am just wanting to try it out and not putting in large amounts so convenience is priority for me right now.

3) Is this managed online similar to online banking, i.e. it will show me the balance whenever I log on and all that kinda thing.

Thanks

Thanks

I used Hargreaves Lansdown. They are very helpful, replying to messages within 24 hours with easy to understand answers, and have one of the best and easiest to navigate websites. You can indeed see the value of your holdings everytime you login.

They are, however, one of the more expensive of providers.

Just my opinion, of course.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    Options
    Holty10 wrote: »
    Could anyone point me in the direction of the best/ cheapest company to do this with.

http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapest-online-brokers/
    cisamcgu wrote: »
    You can indeed see the value of your holdings everytime you login.
    I can't think of any platform that doesn't have this basic feature.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    So the newest proposed reduction of First Direct's cash ISA rate has finally moved me from thinking "hmm, must sort out my investments sometime now that I know I don't need the cash imminently" to "right, I need to get this sorted by January".

I have £60k and I want to stick the whole lot in one of those Vanguard funds and leave it there for 5-15 years. This would be in the hope of getting better growth than 1.3% per year. I would potentially throw in another £15k a year, either monthly or in a lump.

Some queries - your thoughts on any of them would be appreciated:

Firstly, I have formed the belief that bonds are a waste of money - I'm not clear whether this is because they are expensive to buy or because they are getting low returns or whether these are two sides of the same coin. Anyhow, based on this I'm thinking that rather than putting 100 into a V80, I might as well put 80 into a V100 and view my Santander 123 cash balance as being, in effect (in the context of balancing my risk a little bit), the remaining 20? I don't want investment advice per se, just a sounding board for whether my thinking is logical or whether I'm misunderstanding.

Secondly, should I wait until after the Autumn Statement on Wednesday - or even the Budget next March - before making the leap, on the grounds that if the Chancellor does anything with the pensions tax relief system to make pensions less attractive to the people with the money to invest (or reduce the amount they can put in) then it's likely to affect the stock market?

And thirdly, I'm looking at platforms. With a large-ish value and since I'm planning only a few purchases per year of just one holding, x-o appears to give me a good deal with no fees at all other than £5.95 per purchase plus £1 for putting in more than ten grand at a time plus a one-off £50 when I close it. Is that correct (again, my question is: am I missing something about how this all works)? Also, I have never heard of them outside of the context of being an ISA platform - are they associated with one of the banks? Are they established/respected? And are there any rumours of them increasing their fees or changing their charging structure? (Oh, and do they let you invest in Vanguard? Bit of an assumption there on my part!)
    My other possibility is Halifax, because I've heard of them and because I think I have an account with them somewhere so I shouldn't have to muck about with KYC. More expensive at £12.50/trade plus £12.50 a year for fun, but free to close and cheaper (£2 a time) for regular deposits if I go down the drip-feed route with future money.

Anything else I need to think about, throw it at me! Thanks for reading. (I know I was asking similar questions a few months ago, but I swear I really am going to do it this time.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback