julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Day 4 of our week off! It's going way too quickly already. I'm currently snuggling the neighbours' cat, who has come into our flat to flee from the rain. She quite likes hanging out in here, and is way too cute to turn down. It's great, it's a bit like having a pet without any of the responsibility.

We've also started our food inventory list on the app I found the other day, but it's quite a mission because we have waaaaayyyyy too much food. Found 5 different flavours of ice cream in the freezer, and 6 different types of lentils, for example :rotfl: I'm not really complaining, it should make it that little bit easier to stick to the food budget this month. I reckon at the moment we've managed to write down about a third of our food, so it's an ongoing mission, and we shall see how easy it will be to keep it up to date.

Yesterday we realised we still had a Nando's voucher, so we went out for dinner, which was lovely. We also ended up in their basement room, which meant no phone reception and therefore 2 hours of quality time without any interruption whatsoever. We should do that much more often. Tonight, we're going to a pottery class which I'm super excited about. We're going to make plant pots, and I'm trying to find some inspiration at the moment. I think I'll probably try and decorate mine with lots of spirals.

On the mortgage front, I managed to scratch together some more money and sell another dress, so made another overpayment of £50 this morning. I'm still seriously addicted to overpaying and playing around with that spreadsheet, I'm surprised Mr Julicorn hasn't staged an intervention yet :rotfl:

Off to cook some tomato soup!
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya Julicorn :wave:

I love your diary, it's so upbeat:D

Hope you've enjoyed your week off :)
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thanks so much pinkypig! We've had a really great week, yes. Got hardly anything done (I was half hoping we'd finally start painting the window frames in our flat), but then again, I think a nice and relaxing week off did us good :)
  • julicorn
    Options
    Today we're going to Eastbourne to my boss's housewarming. I'm looking forward, it'll be nice to see his family and his new home.
    We're meant to go there with my colleague though, and he still hasn't made up his mind on whether he's driving or taking the train, and what time to leave. That sort of last minute planning is sooo not my thing - I blame being German, I can't handle it! :rotfl:
  • Runders
    Runders Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey Julicorn,

Just caught up with your diary. Big congratulations for when you hit your 3 targets in one month, that must have been such an amazing feeling.

On the shopping theme, I have been a bit of an M&S shopper for years - eeeeek! Part of that is because we get such low quality food offshore, so I like to have the nice stuff when I come home. I have tried to shop at Aldi, but I always found they never had what I wanted. When I move into the office I think I am going to go for a local veg box service, my friend has been using it and says it's great. I need to eat so much healthier now my gallbladder is gone. I don't suppose you have any tips for cooking with tofu do you? It always turns into a mush with me :eek:
    MFW Start:[STRIKE] Sep 2014 - £110,844[/STRIKE], July 2019 New Home £190,995 :eek:
    Current: £82,999.69, £190,972.18, £188,091.57, £180,026.25
    2021MFW #97 OP Goal £296.36/£3000
    2020MFW #97 OP Goal £3104.09.09/£3000
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal £1024.99/£1000
  • julicorn
    Options
    Hi Runders, thank you, and yes it was an awesome feeling!

We also shop at M&S sometimes, because we still have some money left on a £120 M&S voucher we got for taking out life insurance earlier this year. Our local M&S is tiny though, so they also don't stock a lot. They have a lot more random ingredients though, like they don't have black beans or tinned lentils, but sell some sort of Japanese mayonnaise in a carton?

We've also been getting Abel & Cole veg boxes for years. 5 years at least! We used to get them weekly, but have now changed to getting them every 2 weeks as we didn't always use up all of the veg in time. The veg is always so fresh that it lasts soooo much longer than the stuff we buy in supermarkets as well, I think it's well worth the money personally.

Tofu - yes, sure! What sort of tofu do you use? The type of tofu makes all the difference. We mostly use firm or extra firm tofu, there's a brand called Tofoo which is very widely available now which is really good. They make standard and smoked tofu. There's another brand called Taifun which you can get in lots of health food stores and Waitrose as well, and they have lots of differently flavoured tofu, like basil, sundried tomato, black forest smoked, that sort of thing - those are great too.
    If you're just using plain tofu, then I would recommend marinading it for at least half an hour or so, so it takes on some flavour. Otherwise it's very plain. We usually cut the tofu into small to medium cubes and pan-fry it on high heat, makes it nice and crispy. Sometimes I also smother it in some sort of sauce and bake it in the oven. Or what's nice too is breading it first, and then frying it.

Tofu turning to mush sounds like you're using a much softer tofu. Aside from firm tofu, there's also medium/soft tofu (which you could turn into firm tofu by pressing it, but who can be bothered with that?) and silken tofu. Silken tofu is the sort of thing you see as little cubes in miso soup. It's almost got a boiled egg-white consistency, and is good for making desserts and can be used in creamy sauces as well. Although I usually make bechamel and similar sauces out of cashews, but that's a different story. :)

If you would like some inspiration, I've got 2 favourite recipe websites at the moment - Minimalist Baker and Isa Chandra. They're both amazing.
  • julicorn
    Options
    Back to work after the week off, and I was really struggling today! Motivation in the morning = 0, but then it didn't turn out to be a bad day at all. I was just a bit tired, really. It's pay week as well, hallelujah! Feels like I've been waiting forever. Used to never pay attention to payday, but now with my YNAB addiction I'm counting down the days to allocating those £s :rotfl:

'Failure' since I last posted: The house warming ended up a bit heavy on the wine, so I maaaayyyyy have ordered take-away pizza for dinner yesterday. Whoops. Need to work on either never being hungover again, or getting over that pizza craving when I am (the former is definitely easier to achieve). It was technically in budget to my defense, just means we can't really go out for food again this month without stealing money from somewhere else.

Win, on the other hand: We needed participants for a study at work, and got a bit desperate, so it was decided that we all get £5 for each participant we refer. I got 11 of my friends to take part, so £55 with very minimal effort on my end (Facebook post, couple of quick messages). :j £50 has gone towards the mortgage.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Definite win on the referrals! :T :T And don't fret over the pizza - if it's in budget, it's certainly allowable, after all :)
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thanks greent! And I did greatly enjoy the pizza I have to admit, so no real regrets here ;)
  • Runders
    Runders Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hey Julicorn,

Thanks for the tofu pointers and the recipe sites. I just checked my cupboard and I had bought the silken kind....lesson learnt! I shall let you know how I get on with the firm stuff.

On the pizza front, I used to keep homemade dough in the freezer as well as frozen cubes of the tomato sauce. That way it was quite easy to whip up a homemade one when you fancied. In fact, I need to take my own advice and start doing this again.
    MFW Start:[STRIKE] Sep 2014 - £110,844[/STRIKE], July 2019 New Home £190,995 :eek:
    Current: £82,999.69, £190,972.18, £188,091.57, £180,026.25
    2021MFW #97 OP Goal £296.36/£3000
    2020MFW #97 OP Goal £3104.09.09/£3000
    2019MFW #109 OP Goal £1024.99/£1000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills