Great “Price Beater Plus” Hunt

Options

Comments

• Oscar
    Oscar Posts: 922 Forumite
    Options
    B&Q have price promise then take further 10% off. Last year we found fence paint on a flyer that was £11.99. In B&Q it was £15.99. We took our receipt for the two tins we had puchased and were refunded the difference plus 10%. We needed several tins more so we held on to the flyer and when purchasing more we just went direct to the customer service desk(not the returns desk they will not allow you to purchase goods there)who met the price plus deducted the 10% each time. The shop on the flyer had to be within a 10 mile radius(I think) of the B&Q store to be in competition.
    :j
  • kazooie_2
    kazooie_2 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    If yuu are in or around Lincolnshire Downtown / Oldrids offer a Double The Difference price promise within 40 mile radius of their stores at Grantham and Boston within 28 days of purchase.
    Filiss
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    EmpireDirect will pricematch then an extra 20% off (the difference). However the list of stores they match is very limited:

Simply call our Sales Desk on 0870 120 1122 with the contact details for the store where you found the item advertised at a lower price than EmpireDirect.co.uk. We will then confirm the price and the stock availability of the item with the store. Provided the item is identical, brand new and in stock, we will not only match the price but also refund you with 20% of the difference! Purchases made on finance agreements are excluded from this price promise. Conditions Our 120% price promise is only applicable to advertised prices for brand new items available from stock at any of the following retailers Comet, Currys, Dixons, Argos, John Lewis or Tesco.com. The price promise excludes delivery costs, mobile phones, DVD's, console games and products from the Gifts and Gadget's section. We will need verification of the offer either by written evidence such as a national advert, quotation, screen print or verbally from our competitors. It specifically excludes display, clearance & refurbished items, manufacturer discontinued lines and any grey imports. Purchases made on finance are also exempt. All claims have to be made within 7 days from date of purchase.

HTH - Rufus.
  • RufusA
    First Post
    Options
    Staples superstores have a 150% Ultimate Price Promise (which can be very useful for buying computer / electrical office equipment). Can't find the full T&C's online but details are in store.

From memory if you find something locally sold new for less within 14 days they'll match the price and knock a futher 50% of the price difference (up to a maximum of £25 pounds). Excludes online sales, items not stocked, evidence of lower price must be provided etc.

Very useful for buying the lower spec Samsung lasers (ML1210 ML1510/20 etc.) when Comet or Curry's occasionally have them for £50 and Staples for £100. Visit Staples and take printer away for £25! Probably also applies to Office World now Staples have taken them over.

HTH - Rufus.
  • rammell
    rammell Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Recently, Curry's refused to honour their price promise.

I was looking for a Black and Decker Dustbuster and after shopping around noticed that Comet were a little cheaper than Currys (both on the same retail park). I went to Comet to make my purchase but - as usual - they were out of stock. So, I toddled down to Curry's to buy my Dustbuster knowing that Currys have their price promise.

Unfortunately, the dreaded small print says that the item has to be in stock at the retailer selling it at the lower price. After they'd checked with Comet, they refused to charge me the lower price.

Humbug!
    ELR
  • cheekyweegit
    cheekyweegit Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Power House in Dundee claim that they will price match anything as long as the goods are in stock at the said competitor. A friend not so long ago made enquiries about a large tv (panasonic) which Comet were selling for around £500 as were Power House but Comet were throwing in a free matching brand recordable dvd rewriter into the bargain. Power House said that they would knock a few pounds off but needed to phone Comet to check if it was in stock (friend had said advert in his hand as proof). Funnily enough according to Power House it was out of stock in Dundee so no need to price match. We drove the few hundred yards to Comet and picked up the out of stock tv and said dvd rewriter. Apparently this is common practice in many stores to get out of price matching when its for a considerable amount. I've heard quite a few stories of Power House in Dundee doing this, so ask to speak to who ever is on the phone when they are claiming to call the store. Its probably just an unconfirmed "special number" they are phoning to get out of the price match! I hasten to add i have no proof of the "special number".
  • cheekyweegit
    Options
    B&Q Dundee again were no problem price matching on some polycell paint when i got it for £6.49 out of Tesco and they were selling it at £12.99. I had my receipt as Tesco didn't have enough for me and B&Q discounted it there and then for me after speaking to someone at customer services and gave me 10% off no problem again. They also asked to photo copy my receipt to inform head office as manager felt that they would need to reduce their price to that for the time that Tesco (only a 2 min journey away by car) was selling it at that price to avoid further claims. I never did go back and check if they had reduced it though as i had enough to finish my job.

Joyce :j
  • cheekyweegit
    Options
    Ok me again - can you tell im getting addicted ?

If you buy something using a Barclaycard and you find it cheaper within 60 days anywhere else be it online or in a shop they will refund the difference if its at another retailler. You need to provide proof such as an advert of url of a website to get it but they are brilliant. No further discount is given but its handy when the sales are on and you have bought something only to find that it has been reduced further at another location. An added bonus here is that you also get purchase protection free for 60 days providing its not covered anywhere else. Nectar points also awarded for the next couple of months before Barclaycard stops its association with Nectar at the end of August 2005, but hey they are offering free travel insurance if you pay for your holiday in full on your card for holidays booked after 1st September 2005.

Oh and on some things you can get a years extra warranty free by paying with your card saving you even more than the 10% offered by some retaillers in the long run. I think if my memory serves me correctly that is electrical goods over £25, but there are some exclusions but alas i don't know what they are. (PS2 was one that was covered but an xbox wasn't - but that was back in september 2003).

url for barclaycard telling you about price promise is :- http://www.aboutcreditcards.co.uk/card_issuers/Barclaycard_Credit_Card/

another url giving you a fuller description of how to claim the price promise and a few more details of what the T & C are to do so. :-

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/credit-card/barclaycard/427091/

url as regards to stopping nectar :- http://www.barclaycard.co.uk/Offers/Nectar/register.html

Think this will do for this posting before i bore you all to tears - most humble apologies if im too late (oh and if you refer someone to get a barclaycard apparently you get a reward too but i dont know what it is. Sorry).

Joyce :j
  • RufusA
    First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately the Barclaycard Price Promise / Extended Warranty etc. offer was discontinued around 6 months ago:

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/business.cfm?id=21002005

Rufus.
  • crossleydd42
    Options
    "Comet.co.uk price match and give 10% off the difference if you can find the item cheaper on selected websites or a local shop within 10 miles of your local Comet store (or within 10 Miles of your Postcode if you order by Phone). You can price match up to 14 days after you purchase. Unfortunately there is no indication on how to claim the Difference & 10% or how it is refunded."

I took a leaflet into Comet for a competitor with a cheaper price for the item I'd purchased at Comet. They merely gave me a credit on my credit card for the difference plus 10%, without argument.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure