MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you contribute to a stranger’s train ticket?

Options

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would definitely.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Yes definitely.Isn't this the parable of the Good Samaritan???!!
  • lutzi1
    lutzi1 Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 September 2009 at 12:51PM
    Options
    A couple of years ago very late at night when I was at home alone, I heard a car come screeching down the road then stop at the bus stop outside my house. I opened the front door to put out the milk bottles, and saw a middle aged man in an old Volvo. I called across to him to say he could use the phone if he needed to, and a few minutes later after trying his mobile he came over and knocked on the door. ( the signal in our village is rubbish). I let him use the phone and he departed.

The next day while I was telling a friend what had happened, she was going mad with me - it was late at night, I was in my dressing gown, anything could have happened etc. At that very moment there was a knock on the door. When I opened it, it was the gentleman again, with a box of Ferrero Rocher - he'd come to say thank you, and he made my day. Sometimes we have to trust our instincts.

Every time we don't help someone genuinely in need, because we think they just might be pulling a fast one, then in some way all the nasty people win. Decent people shouldn't let a few scumballs dictate their actions - we should all stick together and help each other. I have a teenage daughter and I really hope that if she were in trouble someone would go to her aid.
    Hope is not a strategy.
  • BigMikeyG
    Options
    only if I had it to spare, if I needed it or something for food say then I have to pick myself first (mainly cause no one else will :) )
    Date I decided to clear my debt: 03/12/08
    Debt started with: Loan - 2195, Credit Card - 1738, Interest free overdraft -500 = TOTAL - 4433
    Current Debt: Loan - 0, Credit Card 1 - 1346, Credit Card 2 - 906 Interest free overdraft -0 = TOTAL - 2252
  • stingyscot
    Options
    Yes. And double yes if it was anywhere dodgy, even (especially) if I suspected that it was the ticket inspector who was on the make.
  • blahblahdoh
    Options
    Something like this happened to me at Stansted airport - I missed a flight and had to pay to board a later one. An African girl in front of me was £10 short and in tears, so I paid it. Her grateful smile was good value for money. When I asked her name, she said "Bimbo": odd connotations in English, but resonant and stately for an African. A pleasant memory.
  • nakiwala123
    Options
    When I joined this forum I thought to myself that there is no way I would give £10. Its alot of money. However, after reading some responses.. its made me think that actually I would; being a cynic is not the place to be. Karma always bites back.

My mother lost her purse in Stratford some years ago, a security guy at the shopping mall gave her £5 to jump on a bus to go home. I really did not think people like this existed.
  • saichia
    saichia Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Yes..... I most certainly would :A
    if we don't show kindness, how can we ever expect it from others?
  • saichia
    saichia Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    stingyscot wrote: »
    Yes. And double yes if it was anywhere dodgy, even (especially) if I suspected that it was the ticket inspector who was on the make.
    am surprised with a name like stingyscott!!
  • norfolk_bet
    Options
    I'm not sure to be honest. Depends on the circumstances. £50 isn't that much money, it's not like it's a £1000 fine for not having a ticket. And she could just pay it when she gets home.

Why should I pay £10 for her mistake? When she can pay just £40 more to rectify it herself at a later stage.

If the conductor was going to chuck her off the train late at night, that would be another matter - then I would definitely pay the £10.
    Match Betting: £4300
    Quidco: £400

Competitions: Xbox 360 x2, Sony Aino :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills