MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Would you contribute to a stranger’s train ticket?

Options

Comments

• mellysocks
    Options
    Yes I would.I have given money before to a lady and her little girl who didn't have enough money for the bus.I believe in Karma and that good things happen in return.:)
  • whatfaff
    Options
    Why would this person be making such a long journey without any cards or money on them??? She must have had money to buy the ticket in the first place, and to travel without any means of accessing money, even by debit or credit card, is not the norm. I suppose if she came across as genuine then maybe, but I certainly wouldn't be eager to be the good samaritan in this particular situation!
  • jools0001
    Options
    Yes, I would help as long as I had the cash, and I would ask the person to give the money to charity or to help someone in a similar situation if the opportunity came up.

I once got on a bus not realising the fares had gone up that weekend - I'd left home with the exact money in change, or a £20 note which the driver couldn't take. The person behind me in the queue gave me the extra change I needed. It was only 20p but little things like that restore a person's faith in human nature I think. (I told the man I'd put £1 in a charity box for him the first opportunity I had, which I did later that day.)

The vast majority of people are kind and decent and good and will help a stranger in need if they can. Broken Britain my !!!!.
  • themadbird
    Options
    Yep I'd have no hesitation as I remember as a teenager someone helped me by giving me 20p towards my train fare as it had gone up that morning and I'd only had the original amount. I know 20p isn't a lot but it meant the world to me that day. So yep, if I had £10 to spare I would with no worries.
    Everyone has a photographic memory, it's just some of them don't have film.
  • bikemad1
    Options
    You'd have to be some kind of meanie to not help if it's within your means. I hate to see people in distress and would certainly pay it if I had the money or otherwise organise a whip-round with other passengers. You never know - it could be you that needs the help next time! While there is always the possibility that you're being scammed, as moneypenny2k said, I'd rather give to 99 people on the take than miss the one who really needed the help. It's humankind at its best.
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    I'd tell her to take the fine. It sounds like she is moving on anyway, and no-one (including the train company) will know where to, so they won't be able to chase her for the fine.
  • hilstep2000
    Options
    Of course, it'll come back to you in the end.
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• Lion-King
    Options
    Surely though if she has a ticket in the first place, even though it is the wrong one, they should sympathise with her as she just got the wrong ticket!

Personally though I would not give her the money in this day and age £10 is a lot of money!
  • saveralot
    Options
    Yes if I could afford it and had it on me. I think though the train company is a bit mean. I got a return bus ticket in Majorca and bought a bag of those mini donuts, putting it in my bag and when I got on the return journey the grease from the donuts had rubbed the details off the tickets (put me off donuts for a while that!). The driver just laughed and said get on, as my friend had the same ticket.

I did see someone on a local bus and she realised they never he the right change, and would have to get off and wait in the cold for the next. I was getting off at the same stop so I said I'll pay and you can get the change in the local shop if that's OK, she was really pleased. I agree with Nogging the Nog about the charity thing if she wasnt going to the same stop. Good idea the gift aid thing too.
  • regburns
    Options
    It is dreadful really, while we were on holiday in Tunisia some years ago, a young English couple approached us in some distress, during a visit from the seaside to the capital city: Tunis.

Like us, they had come by train, but then lost their bags. they were unable to get back to the hotel, and asked for the trainfare.

I assumed that they were scammers, and insisted that i just bought their tickets for them, so thatthey could nto use the money to buy drugs.

They were grateful, and we parted. Some hours later, as we got off the train in our resort, we noticed that they got off too.

My suspiciousness, had ensured that I did not make a new friend that day, just someone who was grateful, but only giventhe minimum.

I will never forget that expereince.

Regards
    Reg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills