Aedis Building Inspectors unreachable

Options

Comments

• Farked
    Farked Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    guitar77 wrote: »
    What a muddle - no apology needed. We are all just trying to inform, discuss and advise.

Our Architect wrote to our LA (we were not aware he contacted them - he must have been advising lots of people Aedis were good to deal with, so maybe feels he should help) telling them that the fee they wanted to charge was too much as we only needed a final sign off. They will ‘get back to him’.
    He suggested that we don’t panic, we will get notes at some point so we can hopefully just ‘finish off inspection’. Just to remind everyone we have a completed first floor side dormer - two doubles bedrooms and a bathroom . (and virtually decorated too!) . Just so you know scale of our build.
    He also said that regs aren’t required by law and in 20-30 yrs when we sell, show proof of what’s occurred with Aedis and pay for an indemnity insurance.
    The ‘total building control’ guy we spoke to also said the same funnily enough.
    So there appears to be a bit of ‘meh
    - who cares it won’t matter too much in the long term future’ sort of attitude going on. Not sure what to make of this.

Of course we want a building regs sign off so our plan is too hang tight and wait for our notes, then discuss with LA to finish off when they have proof.
    Our current property now has a 3x2m kitchen extension that has no building regs (the owner who was a builder did it himself) and it didn’t really put us off buying. Been standing fine for the last 15-20 yes.

Just wondering what you guys think of going this route (if NO notes can be retrieved).
    Cheers all!

Thanks Guitar77 I'm in a similar position to you but wouldn't accept leaving it unsigned. I assume you mean that your extension was done without building control sign off - not the same as building regs! Building regulations (plans and drawings) aren't required by law but building control sign off is - hence we are being told to revert to the LA as a legal requirement!

The indemnity you can buy for selling properties without building control sign offs is proportional to the work you have done - I think with the scale of your works you will be looking at a significant indemnity. Also, you are making the assumption that this indemnity will be available in the long run - I think the turmoil the building sector is in wrt safety may close this scheme down. Future buyers may also not be as confident as you in buying something unsigned, and remember most people will buy with a mortgage and providers may not be prepared to lend depending on that. No one knows what life throws up so, whilst you aren't looking to sell now, who knows what happens and when you might need to sell in less time than you want.

I think it safe to say that our notes aren't going to be lost, as CICAIR assure us of that, but how quickly we get them will be an issue. We may face not getting sign offs for months or even years whilst notes are retrieved/sent to LABC etc. So I think we will get the final sign off with LABC but a question of when..........on the assumption LABC accept the documentation and inspections done. I have to start being able to sleep again so I will have to hope that an industry that is regulated as these safeguards in place to ensure we eventually do get sign offs
  • Whatamuddle
    Whatamuddle Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 7 July 2019 at 8:01PM
    Options
    What a muddle - no apology needed. We are all just trying to inform, discuss and advise.

Our Architect wrote to our LA (we were not aware he contacted them - he must have been advising lots of people Aedis were good to deal with, so maybe feels he should help) telling them that the fee they wanted to charge was too much as we only needed a final sign off. They will ‘get back to him’.
    He suggested that we don’t panic, we will get notes at some point so we can hopefully just ‘finish off inspection’. Just to remind everyone we have a completed first floor side dormer - two doubles bedrooms and a bathroom . (and virtually decorated too!) . Just so you know scale of our build.
    He also said that regs aren’t required by law and in 20-30 yrs when we sell, show proof of what’s occurred with Aedis and pay for an indemnity insurance.
    - who cares it won’t matter too much in the long term future’ sort of attitude going on. Not sure what to make of this.

Of course we want a building regs sign off so our plan is too hang tight and wait for our notes, then discuss with LA to finish off when they have proof.
    Our current property now has a 3x2m kitchen extension that has no building regs (the owner who was a builder did it himself) and it didn’t really put us off buying. Been standing fine for the last 15-20 yes.

Just wondering what you guys think of going this route (if NO notes can be retrieved).
    Cheers all!

I think it is a difficult call because this is an unprecedented situation and I do really hope that MHCLG come in to assist rather than slope shoulder as they usually do and tell us all to get on with it, especially LABC because, in truth this becomes largely LABC's role but, at this level of activity it could become crazy - Reversion was never envisaged to have to deal with scale; one AI going down maybe but there are two already (GSA apparently have folded) and others could well fold. Rumour has it that GA (the biggest insurer here) has hiked up premiums big time

Yes, you can obtain an indeminity insurance but, this is generally only suitable in years to come. The reason is that labc can take legal action, currently 2 years from the discovery of a contravention of the regulations, after that time it is highly likely labc would take action but the chnace of successful prosecution is low but, not impossible however, because it is low, indeminity is possible to get. After the effort you have gone to, to seek due process it would be shame to then rely on just insurance and from what I've heard (only heard!!) they often aren't worth the paper they are written on.

I hope labc will be pragmatic; it will vary I'm sure but also because every project will be different and the level of AI input to date will vary both due to the stage of the work reached, the project itself and quality of the inspection done to this point. I'm no longer directly involved but, in my current capacity I have advised pragmatism and those I'm more involved with, certainly want to be so. LABC Services the national body for LABC has also asked local authorities to seek to assist as far as possible; there is no wish for labc to take advantage of this situationa dn they really shouldn't BUT, I can't say hand on heart that some individuals won't play silly, we know such things happen in both sectors of the service provision as it does between competitors in any industry. Unforunately you cannot chose which labc you use becaused it is a statutory function.

For buildersarchitects going forward they can consider partnering with a chosen labc - contact one you want to work with and they can explain how it works; this way if you build in different areas you can remain working closely with the labc you have built up truct with. However, in terms of reversion I think it has to be your local one.

As I understand it Aedis are in voluntary liquidation, so their hands might be tied to some extent in getting information out quickly; I don't really know how that works but there is a requirement that ultimately the information mujst be made available but, whether that is to the client, another AI/LABC or CICAIR I don't know but, the requirement is to enable continuation of the project and sign off

In your case you and/or labc, really need Aedis records with the hope they are of sufficent quality for risk to be acceptable without requiring you to open up works. If the records are poor it could be an awkward situation. There is no doubt that the surveyors are as competent as any other but ultimately it means nothing if the records are poor. Simply, the more that is complete of the project, the greater the risk.. Projects in the early construction stages, the process shouldn't be too arduous and maybe, rather than worry about Aedis records it may be worth just exposing work done for inspection but, only 'you' can make that call.

If you are borrowing money to pay for the work the lender might require final sign off - suggest this is dicussed with the lender, neither labc nor a new AI can artifically speed up a process and this could be difficulty for some people but sadly probably unavoidable. Couple this with the significant increased workload this will present for labc - the timescale could add to the burden.

My earlier comments reflected labc experience to date with affected clients ranting (swearing and the like) at labc and that was just at an enquiry stage! Many have assumed labc has power over AI's - they have none whatsoever (nor should they!) expecting labc to step in and 'sort the AI out' - they can't of course.

When you approach labc they will have no knowledge of your project other than the original Initial Notice submitted to them which contains minimal information - no details, drawings or anything else. It is very likely therefore that you will experience frustration in having to start again in some respects.

It has been noted elswhere that Aeidis has said on their site that they feel some labc's will allow a project in progress to go to another AI - Kind of an unfair statement because I don't think labc has a choice in the matter and so could set clients in the wrong direction and when labc doesn't allow it anamosity will creep in I'm sure..

A bit of ramble but whilst there is one 'simple process' each project will present it's own challenges. I can only recommend that folk affected keep their cool and work with labc and be patient throughout - I know, sounds easy eh?
  • JT19
    JT19 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options

Cheers all!

If your architects advising you not to revert to LABC then he’s wrong. It’s YOUR building work thats ILLEGAL not his. I also get the impression he has some animosity towards LABC which is probably why he went private to begin with. Obviously LABC require a fee to sort out this mess, I’m pretty sure your architect isn’t working for free and neither were AEDIS? As for total building control, this couldn’t be any further outside of their jurisdiction and has absolutely nothing to do with them so don’t waste your time
  • theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would strongly suggest that you get it signed off now.
    As soon as I get my notes that is what I will be doing.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JT19 wrote: »
    If your architects advising you not to revert to LABC then he’s wrong. It’s YOUR building work thats ILLEGAL not his. I also get the impression he has some animosity towards LABC which is probably why he went private to begin with. Obviously LABC require a fee to sort out this mess, I’m pretty sure your architect isn’t working for free and neither were AEDIS? As for total building control, this couldn’t be any further outside of their jurisdiction and has absolutely nothing to do with them so don’t waste your time

guitar77's work is not illegal, it's fully compliant with the regulations. There's simply no need to scare a lay person by shouting at them. Nothing bad will ever happen to the OP on this front because there is nothing wrong with the work and they have followed due process, this far. If, in the unlikely case that the LA suddenly decided to take enforcement action, they'd open up the work and find it compliant. (Fact is, in 15 years on this board no one has ever come here with the problem if having enforcement action taken against them - it doesn't exactly promote good practice, but it's a whole different issue that doesn't apply to guitar)

guitar, hopefully there will be a way to right this properly in the coming weeks and months. If no notes are forthcoming then the 'meh' attitude is an option that can't really be denied.

What you must keep in mind through this is that you and your home are safe. We're just talking about the paperwork that proves it. The real proof is in the actual pudding.

The worst case scenario, if you choose the 'meh' option, is that you have to go through the full process in the future that would otherwise have to go through now. I don't even believe that would happen. Being pragmatic about it, some buyers will certainly baulk at a lack of sign-off, but most won't. Indemnity policies seem to be as common as bread and butter over on the housing board.

I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a preferred route, but if you present the proof of what has happened and offer the indemnity policy up front, then I think solicitors would accept it willingly. Clearly the survey won't raise an issue over safety of your build, as it's compliant.

I'm sincerely hoping that the notes appear and things can be resolved with LABC easily. A partially reduced inspection fee might be appropriate if there's only one left, but those drawings/notes etc will still need to be reviewed and that's not free. So maybe the full process with them is the easier option if you're only going to save £100 or so.

Life when you come to sell would be a little less stressful if you deal with it now. But it's stressful now too! There's no genuine hurry, so I'd wait and see.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Farked
    Options
    For those of us who were at final sign off stage - my LABC has said that we could go to another AI or them, but they need to take on the ones that are nowhere near complete. Has anyone else had the same advice? It may be that this is an example of pragmatism at the moment?
  • Farked
    Options
    I just phoned around a few other AIs - they are all saying the same thing, that they aren't aware of being able to take reversions and that their underwriters are unlikely to take on the risk if they haven't been inspecting at every stage. LABC underwritten by government so can take on the risk
  • Joram
    Joram Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    We're at final sign off stage on a loft conversion... we had our final inspection on 7th June with no outstanding issues but unfortunately we didn't get our final certificate. The loft space is fully decorated and we're using it. I managed to get our notes from Aedis by visiting the local office, pressing all the buzzers outside until someone came and spoke to us. It was actually one of the building surveyors who came out (is that different from building control?) but he accessed the system and emailed me all of our documents... photos, site visits etc. I have been in contact with our LABC, they said we have to go through the reversion process and they quoted us a price 50% more that we originally paid Aedis in spite of the stage we're at. They also said they can't accept any of the back up from Aedis as it was unsigned, in their words I could have forged the word documents and photos. (They weren't suggesting I had, but just stating that they can't accept liability unless it has been signed by a qualified inspector). And they have said that without the signed documents they will need to 'open up' our building work and re-do the inspection completely. I don't really know what to do next... it sounds as if we have been fortunate to get the information we have from Aedis... I can't see us getting anything further from them...
  • myk33
    myk33 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    in my situation I am in the final stages of a single story rear extension, loft conversion all of which is built on and closed up. I also had a huge goal post beam support the rear of the house. I had to have a 1 cubic meter pad stone dug each side of the house which was filled with concrete. I have notes from AEDIS but they are NOT signed, simply just the notes. I have plenty of pictures we have taken throughout the build all of which should suffice. However given the above that the LAs are not accepting notes unless they are signed off I fear we are in a rough ride ahead. so far the cost has come to around 180k which includes a lot of internal work and shifting, garden gutted, landscaped and redone from scratch and drive way all of which is near finished as it was at the final sign off stage. Now I have gone to my LABC and started reversion with them and paid the fees. with any luck we will get a visit from them this week and I am extremely nervy on what they are going to have to say so that they are happy to sign it off given the fact they can only go by AEDIS notes and pictures to determine. I can live with digging a few trial holes or ripping back a bit if plaster board but if its going to get silly I really don't know if I can accept an invasive approach that is going to start costing £1000s on top of the second lot of BC fees I have paid. don't get me wrong I really want to get this signed off corrected by the book but the reality is that I have heavily extended the house and gutted every room and garden in the house which has been done with a view for us to live in the house for at very least 10 years but more likely 20 - 30. If it does become considerably problematic (and I mean as an absolute last resort) there is a chance that I will consider not getting the works signed off as selling my house is not in the forefront of my mind by any means. Its been said a few times on this thread so far but to confirm there is a "legal" way for me to consider not signing my building works off albeit possibly creating a difficult situation in the future to deal with should I wish to sell?
  • Farked
    Options
    I've just been sent an excel spreadsheet with nothing signed. I was told showing LABC where the email came from would be proof..........
    I am hearing Aedis going into liquidation so I think there are a lot of people, like CICAIR, that need to start providing info. Has anyone spoken with their MP?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback