Aedis Building Inspectors unreachable

Options

Comments

• theGrinch
    theGrinch Posts: 3,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Received my case notes in excel this afternoon.

There are no names or signatures. I could have created it myself to be honest.

Anyway, its all I have and together with the photos I will start my LABC application.

Keep plugging away and you will get yours too.
    "enough is a feast"...old Buddist proverb
  • myk33
    myk33 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I got PDF docs for each visit, but like I said they are not signed off, simple template I could have made myself.

gotta love it, I bet CICAIR have no control or power over these companies. Its prob just a regulator fabricated to simply make easy money by some slimy cash cow.

I know nothing has ever happened on this scale to AI's and now CICAIR are sitting there not knowing what to do or how things are going to pan out.
  • guitar77
    guitar77 Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    People now getting unsigned notes. This gets better.
    We just got an email from the LA saying we will charge you full fee and not a reversion fee.
    Ok fine, so taking advantage of people seems to be their plan. If its their legal obligation to carry on, I’m not sure why they have to insist on charging full whack for half (less than) a job.
    Because they can and they know it.
    I’m sure I’ll receive a few ‘don’t be mean to the LA ‘ comments now.

They also mention they may have to open up works. Given you guys are getting unsigned notes/ templates, Im seriously getting worried I’m going to ripping holes in my extension.

Any idea what sort of thing they could be wanting to see exactly? I have no idea. It’s mainly timber with one shortish steel bar above front door.

Fearing the worst now.
  • Farked
    Farked Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    guitar77 wrote: »
    People now getting unsigned notes. This gets better.
    We just got an email from the LA saying we will charge you full fee and not a reversion fee.
    Ok fine, so taking advantage of people seems to be their plan. If its their legal obligation to carry on, I’m not sure why they have to insist on charging full whack for half (less than) a job.
    Because they can and they know it.
    I’m sure I’ll receive a few ‘don’t be mean to the LA ‘ comments now.

They also mention they may have to open up works. Given you guys are getting unsigned notes/ templates, Im seriously getting worried I’m going to ripping holes in my extension.

Any idea what sort of thing they could be wanting to see exactly? I have no idea. It’s mainly timber with one shortish steel bar above front door.

Fearing the worst now.

Depending on what work you have done, the stages at which building inspectors come are typically when foundations dug, concrete poured and set (sometimes), DPC, drainage, steels, insulation etc. I think much of it can be proven from photos eg. steels (they only check the connections and that it looks right from the plans). insulation, drainage etc. What can't be proven is the foundations and this is where we are all dreading that hole needing to be dug. Its not the hole itself that is the problem but what they then say about the quality at the bottom of that hole.

We are all dreading this guitar. Until some of start to post that we've got notes, had time to do reversion, got a new notice in to LABC and they start accepting these Aedis "notes" (bull*!*!) and not making us destroy things none of us are resting easy.

When I phoned one of those other AIs today they said the government should never have allowed it to get to this as they could predict this when one of the insurers left the market. Aedis is the beginning of this sorry saga, not the end, so hopefully the councils will have to be pragmatic and set themselves a benchmark against which they can continue taking on these reverted projects as they start to escalate.
  • guitar77
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cheers Farked, and everyone else for their earlier comments advice.
    I guess fortunately as mine is first floor, no foundations were changed. Something I suppose. Just worried the LA inspector may decide work isn’t what he would expect and demands a change or something. Its the not knowing.

I don’t intend to just leave it. I’m going to do whatever is required.
    Sounds like some poor peeps have larger works completed than me.
    Will email the CIRCAIARACR �� maybe see if it can help speed up delivery of my unsigned lacking notes.
  • Whatamuddle
    Whatamuddle Posts: 23 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2019 at 5:40PM
    Options
    Guitar77 the LA isn't taking advantage, they are looking at a worse case scenario of your AI’s records being either inadequate or otherwise deficient/not available. I understand that if appropriate information is there then it may be possible to reduce the fee accordingly. LABC does not seek a profit.
    If the records are no good then you may have to open up work to allow inspection but this is being considered the last resort but will depend on what the AI has done and recorded. Photo’s and other evidence will be helpful. Typically for a domestic extension it is likely to be evidence of satisfactory foundation, drainage (this can sometimes be proven without opening up), structural support, thermal elements and any fire safety features required.
    LABC will also have a responsibility to seek rectification of any contraventions it identifies whether or not the AI has previously approved it.
    LABC cannot sign off a project without satisfying itself that it has taken reasonable measures to ensure compliance.
    LABC are trying be as pragmatic as possible but it will depend on how what information your AI produces, how effective their inspections were and how well they recorded.
    This view only reflects the position as known at the moment/ personally I haven’t seen any records from the AI’s so I can’t comment on the quality and accordingly how they will contribute. Hopefully everything will become easier is the situation unfolds but sorry you are in the mix at this stage
  • Whatamuddle
    Whatamuddle Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Guitar77 I meant to say the LA ISN’T taking advantage.. won’t let me edit!!!
  • foxstorm
    Options
    I had the same problem as everyone else but the day I got Aedis email I contacted them and the local authority and rescinded the original Notice and by the next day appointed the Local Authority. 3 days later they looked at the building and we are back on track. I was fortunate as the only unseen was the foundations but they are easily exposed. The rafters and steel work were still visible. All they want to see is the insulation.
    Each local authority seems to be handling this differently as we have a completed office extension without a completion certificate and that authority wanted one type of payment whereas my local one took the "cheapest" view. I am sure the reason they are charging full whack is because they will not be able to go back and sue Aedis if they rely on their reports and later problems come to light.
    My advice would be get on with switching as soon as possible. It wont change the issues that you already face and it seems pretty clear that Aedis will not be rising from the ashes. In fact their original notification email actually tells you to cancel their Initial Notice and proceed elsewhere so I am pretty confident that even if their insurance were reinstated all our "existing" jobs would be void anyway. Especially if they use a different insurer.
    I am still waiting for a response to my request for them to correspond with the LA and issue me a credit. I will continue to pursue but I think its a dead loss
  • myk33
    myk33 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    can you advise how they exposed your foundations? was the wall fully built on it?
  • guitar77
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Whatamuddle.

I’m afraid I’m not so sure they aren’t rubbing there hands with this (some LA anyway)
    They said it was full cost - notes or not. I see no reason for them to charge full price if acceptable notes are present.
    That’s taking advantage. No question.

Incidentally, I received an email from CICAIR who told me to let them know if Aedis do not send full notes or if they are unsigned as they will query this with AEDIS. A small glimmer of hope for you guys who have had unsigned notes.
    Please don’t say I said! Not that it should matter.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback