Quote, misquotes & the truth about my appearance in the ‘Stronger In Europe’ leaflet

Options

Comments

• BernardM
    BernardM Posts: 398 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CjXn1T5UYAAmWgs.jpg
  • Peter_JWA
    Options
    What is the proportion of annual house building in uk compared to the annual number of migrants entering this country?
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    As you "do not back either side", do I take it you will not be exercising your democratic right on 23rd June?

What would be the outcome if we all did this?

Presumably the status quo would be maintained. i.e we will REMAIN in the EU ?

:cool:

To coin a phrase from the late Hughie Green:
    "It's make your mind up time, Folks!"

No it means Im not campaigning for either side. I will vote. However campaigning and trying to persuade people to follow my view and making a private decision are very different.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • BernardM
    edited 18 June 2018 at 6:00PM
    Options
    As a staunch opponent of the European Union over the decades, Jeremy Corbyn's sudden abandonment of his old viewpoint has shown all the backbone of a jellyfish.

Those who signed up temporarily to vote for him in the Labour Party leadership election must be gravely disappointed at the rapid rate that he has abandoned many of his old political positions. The anti- NATO and anti- austerity stances are just two that have also shifted quickly and significantly. It is absolutely outrageous to mention a bonfire of workers rights if we leave the EU. British workers have seen nothing but a total diminution of their rights since we joined this bosses club back in 1975.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A question for you, BernardM.
    If you wake up the morning after the referendum and find the result it 65% in favour of leaving will you think "Yes! Lots of people agree with me!" and be happy? Or will you think "Hmmm. That's not good. Lots of people have voted for a borderline racist, Little Englander position." and be sad?

I understand what you're voting for and why. But it is the effect of that vote that I'm interested in.
  • BernardM
    edited 29 December 2016 at 1:35AM
    Options
    Archbishop needed to look up Esau.

Esau sells his birthright for a mess of pottage.

A mess of pottage is something immediately attractive but of little value taken foolishly and carelessly in exchange for something more distant and perhaps less tangible but immensely more valuable. The phrase alludes to Esau's sale of his birthright for a meal of lentil stew ("pottage") in Genesis 25:29–34 and connotes shortsightedness and misplaced priorities.
  • stephenluscombe
    Options
    Well I have just had a full page leaflet with Martin's face and a huge bold quote pushed through my door. Martin should have realised that 'any' advice he was going to give was going to be taken massively out of context. If he said 51% to 49% then whoever got the 51% advantage would be pushing his words like he was Saint Paul on the Road to Damascus. Is legal action even an option?
  • BernardM
    edited 2 December 2016 at 9:05AM
    Options
    Back in 1975 we were told by the British and European political elite that we were voting on membership of a trading organisation. They didn't tell us that what they really had in mind was a political union or a 'United States of Europe'. They didn't tell us that we would lose the power to make our own laws or that they would form a European Army. They didn't explain the consequences of free movement of labour and capital. They swamped us with false literature whereby they spent nine times more on 'In' propaganda than those of us on the 'left' had available.
    We now have the opportunity to redress 41 years of living under a lie by telling the liars where to get off! We must all take this opportunity to regain our freedoms and leave this 'gravy train' for the rich which subjects the rest of us to continued austerity.
    :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j

• BernardM
    edited 11 January 2017 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Rule breaking or just a bit of censorship perhaps.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think the problem, BernardM, is that you were seemingly just posting links. Whether it was to your own site or someone elses, it did seem a bit like spam. I didn't report it myself, but I'm not surprised if others did.

It might have helped if you'd responded to other people's comments rather than just posting more links.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure