Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://twitter.com/Outfoxthemarket/status/991573777900294149
    Morning, to clarify -exit fees will not be charged and yes the vast majority of consumers use a lot less than 8k kWh's a year. Our view is that it is't fair that someone with a 7-8 bed house pays the same membership as a 4 bed owner and that is one of the reasons for the change.

Or basically we got our maths wrong and didn't realise that the really large electricity users would sign up to us.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dear Customer,

Further to yesterday’s email, I would like to take this opportunity to explain my decision to amend Outfox the Market’s electricity membership pricing structure.

Our business model is based on providing wholesale energy prices in exchange for a monthly membership fee, which is based on a customer’s annual consumption.

One of our aims is to ensure customers with low usage do not pay more because of the needs of those with far greater demand. This is in contrast to a daily standing charge which is universal and results in a 1 bedroom property having the same cost as a 4 bedroom property, I don’t believe this is fair.

Therefore, as announced on 1st May, I have decided to change the membership bands in line with this policy to make it fairer for all.

The price you pay for each unit of energy will remain the same.

It is important to note that for the vast majority of our customers these changes will have little, or no effect.

Despite these adjustments, Outfox the Market will continue to be one of, if not the cheapest supplier in your region.

Based on competitor’s cheapest electricity tariffs in the London area
    To highlight this, I am willing to waive any exit fees for customers on our fixed price tariff who may take the decision to switch to a different supplier.

I thank you for your understanding and hope you will continue to choose Outfox the Market as your energy supplier.

Yours faitfully,

Bradley Goodfellow
    Head of Operations.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    OFTM have instructed my family of changes to their monthly charges, given we are on the 18 Month Fixed High User Tariff, namely 3.5KKwh - 4.6KKwh, we are unlikely to see any change to our £10.99 monthly tariff, given they'd have to consume 15% more electricity than last years usage, which was 4,000Kwh, as such, OFTM remain cheaper for my family than the alternatives, unless opting out and changing to a variable price supplier for a 20 quid saving a year makes sense - it does not, so happy to stay with OFTM as unlikely to be annoyed with them unless they change gas prices.
  • aduffell
    aduffell Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's all well and good that they will allow you to leave early, but the next best option would have been sticking with my older tariff with my previous supplier - now I've left them on the promise of OTM, I'm going to be either out of pocket with OTM, or have to switch to another supplier, which is still going to cost me more than what I would have paid either with my older supplier or OTM before the changes to my "fixed" tariff. I do hope the MSE team are going to look into this, as a lot of people will be affected.
  • donerkebab
    donerkebab Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Yep new email today confirming we can leave and they will waive exit fees - again would I have stayed with Iresa to have maybe cheaper prices. No way would I want to deal with that again....we shall see how OFTM performs once I get my 1st statement.
    In the words of Jerry Maguire "SHOW ME THE MONEY"
  • NicholasMartin
    Options
    The noise about being fair is a smoke screen - they have looked at what their competitors are charging and then set their prices as high as they can whilst still appearing to undercut them.

They thought they could rinse the current customer base who WERE locked into high early leave fees and its back fired.

Actual standing charges costs wholesale are an average of £66 a year (£5.50/month) according to the Uk Gov 'department for business, energy & industrial strategy' website stats (as of march 2018). Of course OFTM have to make a profit after paying for customer service, admin/billing systems etc etc etc, but this shows they are covering their costs even with their lowest users.

Im considering leaving and paying the extra £60 a year to Tonik or Bulb just so i don't have to deal with them anymore - and i haven't had my first statement yet!
  • martinlewisjunior
    Options
    Here's my current experience of outfox the market

Initial sign up process was fairly easy, typed in my details and confirmed a switch date.

On switch date received an email saying switch was successful.

But it's from then it goes down hill.

20 days AFTER suppose switch date, they inform me my gas switch didn't go through and would need my MPRN number, surely this must have been found out during the first 3 weeks prior to switch date, anyways I confirm the MPRN number.

Two days later switch date confirmed..again. Okay so back on track. (pending for the 16th april)

Gets to the end of the month and I submit my meter readings for electricity on the website, first the form is very flaky compared to other websites, when you submit your bill your balance doesn't update etc. Sometimes the form doesn't work. Also your bills take ages come through in my case 5 days. On my first bill they even got my bill wrong even after providing my meter reading twice on the website and once via live chat. I rang them up and they fixed it though but still compared to others, normally it works first time.

At the moment my only reason for staying with them is because I'm saving £120 a year, however if a competitor comes along with all the bells and whistles like Octopus Energy had, I'll leave

If you're after a no headache provider I wouldn't suggest OFTM
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This what put me off in going for a fix deal with them because the membership fee is not fixed.
  • bs7
    bs7 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    hemish57 wrote: »
    Feel as though I've been ripped off, and not massively happy with MSE having recommended this supplier.

That's a fair point.

Interesting / perhaps shockingly, the 'Cheap Energy Club' still shows "MSE Customer Service Rating: Not enough feedback yet" although it would look like there's ample (now negative) feedback here.

MSE really ought to update that part of the site to warn people that Outfox The Market have recently increased prices without much warning and that the 'fixed' pricing doesn't apply (in the mind of Outfox The Market) to the membership fee.

Another warning should include pointing out that Outfox The Market's strategy is based on "fairness" (hahahaha - as NicholasMartin pointed out above, that's a smoke screen) and accordingly only low energy users should consider their service.

I've updated my preferences in the 'Cheap Energy Club' to notify me as soon as any savings can be achieved at all and would suggest any other customers do likewise: if you're a customer with them you gave them the benefit of the doubt despite their amateurish website that looks like it was designed by a primary school pupil but now with their amateurish behaviour I think its time to jump from them: the fact that they're put up the "membership fee" so relatively soon after they started business suggests they've made mistakes in their calculations and once they've got some customers they are trying to profit from playing the odds and hope folk just stick with them rather than the hassle of changing again.
  • Edale
    Edale Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use c13000kwh per year and switched to OFTM in January. I don't like the way they are selling this price rise as follows (from an email they sent me)

'One of our aims is to ensure customers with low usage do not pay more because of the needs of those with far greater demand. This is in contrast to a daily standing charge which is universal and results in a 1 bedroom property having the same cost as a 4 bedroom property, I don!!!8217;t believe this is fair.'

So what has suddenly happened that means my account as a higher user costs £60 per year more to run than it did 3 months ago and what additional costs do they have for administering my account rather than one using 2000kwh per year?

I think they have either realised their pricing was wrong and need to extract some money somehow or this was a deliberate plan.

I didn't read all the small print and didn't realise fixed for 12 months didn't really mean fixed for 12 months. It is still the cheapest tariff for me although I would switch on principal if I could be bothered with the effort. I really don't like how they have done this.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback